PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help! Girlfriend bought a house...

Hi guys,

So my girlfriend of only one year who I do love has just bought a house in Central London.
I currently pay £1200 a month rent and will be moving in with her next week when the purchase goes through.

She has paid all of the deposit and the mortgage is £1450 a month meaning my rent goes all the way down to £725 PCM which I am of course happy about.

The problems/ worries I have with it are:

If I pay half of the mortgage for 10 years and then we break up/ she kicks me out I won't have any equity.
I am the breadwinner so most likely will be paying for a lot of the repairs/ modifications to the house and back to the point above.

I understand her side that I would be paying significantly more rent somewhere else and she has paid all of the deposit etc but I just wanted to get your guys opinion on it?

One of my friends mentioned something like a deed of trust?

Thank you so much!

What should I ask for? 51 votes

Trust her and just be a tenant paying rent
60%
gingercordialThrugelmirkatoi_want_to_believeemma12345thriftylassKatgritWanderingpommnewbie1980Angie_BTBagpussJenniefourSeduLOUscottingleybingleyanto164maisie_catsevenhillssaajan_12martinsurreyOnwards_and_upwards 31 votes
Ask for equity in the house after paying a certain amount
15%
lush_walruscte1111gax23paddyandstumpyJust_a_Girl_2csgohan4benevselliemet23 8 votes
Ask for a Deed of Trust
23%
toniqsat_madGirl_OverboardjimbogRedFragglewantonnoodlendi149bagpussbearLysimachebertiewhite[Deleted User]CouponClipper 12 votes

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Use the search function as this has been debated ad nauseam.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No right or wrong response. You need to work things out between yourself in terms of what you feel is reasonable to both of you.

My personal opinion is that it is fair enough that what you pay her to start with is the equivalent of contribution to bills. You can then save what you would have paid towards rent.

This is to be reviewed in X time, so that either you both agree to more commitment, in which case, you can start talking about a deed of trust, your name going on the mortgage/deeds, marriage, or you decide that the relationship is going nowhere, and you are not happy paying her mortgage and therefore decide it is best to go your separate ways.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    One advice though is when you transfer her the money, do so with the heading of 'mortgage/bills' so that if indeed you somehow find yourself thrown out after 10 years when you are still paying but with no official commitment, you have a better chance in court (if you were to decide to go that route) convincing a judge that you were indeed contributing towards the payment of the mortgage. Keep all receipt and evidence of payment of any repairs (this is usually a lot easier to get back).
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    edited 4 October 2017 at 8:33PM
    She bought a place on her own rather than buying a place jointly with you and has talked about you paying rent. I think I know how a conversation about equity or a deed of trust would go.
  • When you say you are the breadwinner do you actually mean you earn more than her?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Refuse to answer any thread with a pointless poll
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think we need to know why she bought her own place before thinking what advice to give!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 October 2017 at 7:22PM
    I'd just pay the rent, put everything you save on your current rent into actual savings and then see what happens down the line. Her equity will be subsidising you to some degree. That savings pot is a great bonus and becomes either your own pot if you split or a pot for your joint future to go back against the mortgage.

I think a deed of trust is taking the michael at this point in time. Let her celebrate her own success.

If you commit and get married then it all comes out in the wash. If you choose to cohabit indefinitely then it might have to be broached but I'd give it a year to at least see that co-habiting works before you start demanding equity.

Presumably you're not funding major renovations? A bit of maintenance isn't going to be massive. If you start funding major improvements then that's certainly time to talk.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • One year. That's nothing.
    If she can buy somewhere in C. London on her own, I wouldn't be seeking to take advantage. Good on her.
    Pay the rent, save the rest of what you would be paying on rent elsewhere. Be grateful of the reduction.
    Does she even know you want to pay for maintenance? If she has any sense, she will pay for it herself so you don't build any interest in the property.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 October 2017 at 7:12PM
    If she has any sense, she will pay for it herself so you don't build any interest in the property.
    Agree with this, especially as the OPs question appears to be, how much can I make out of this . .

Can't vote in the poll as my answer isn't there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure