PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    karcher wrote: »
    I'm trying to make Farway's Soda Bread, but with no buttermilk I've done a mix of milk and vinegar but it isn't curdling!! What am I doin wrong?
    It may not curdle but just taste sourish - keep going it will be fine:)
    I've been on the sofa all afternoon, I've come down with a cold virus and feel awful :(.

I did have breakfast of scrambled eggs on toast and a banana this morning.

Lunch was a tuna mayo sandwich and some stollen.

I haven't felt like cooking or eating much this evening so I've just had some cheese and crackers.

There are a few bits and pieces that need using up, but I really don't feel able to cook at the moment :(.
    Poor you - just rest and graze as you feel like it. Hope you feel better tomorrow.
  • caronc
    Irenadler wrote: »

Feeling very stodged. I think the scales must be wrong, because they are showing me 2 lbs heavier....
    In 2 days? Sigh. No more ice-cream.
    :eek::eek:- must be the scales (fingers crossed) :)
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,467 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    That sounds good to me :). I have porridge a lot for breakfast, but have done it with apple and cinnamon, as I really like both I would like to try it. Do you grate the apple, or stir in chunks/slices?

Holly, I just had to make do with sultanas and cinnamon this morning I didn't have any apple, but I do often have cinnamon and raisin porridge with stewed apples - I do them with sweetener so don't need to add any sugar or honey to the porridge.

By the way I had a quick look in sainsbugs for HXB's and the ones they had looked pale and very unappetising not at all what I expect from a HXB.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,467 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I've been on the sofa all afternoon, I've come down with a cold virus and feel awful :(.

I did have breakfast of scrambled eggs on toast and a banana this morning.

Lunch was a tuna mayo sandwich and some stollen.

I haven't felt like cooking or eating much this evening so I've just had some cheese and crackers.

There are a few bits and pieces that need using up, but I really don't feel able to cook at the moment :(.

I had a horrible virus a few weeks ago and very unlike me I took to my bed for two days, I just couldn't face getting up, on the third day I had to cause I needed more paracetamol.

So be good to yourself and manage your symptoms as best you can.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    It may not curdle but just taste sourish - keep going it will be fine:)

I just went for it..it's in the oven now. Wish me luck :o
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a horrible virus a few weeks ago and very unlike me I took to my bed for two days, I just couldn't face getting up, on the third day I had to cause I needed more paracetamol.

So be good to yourself and manage your symptoms as best you can.
    Thanks, I shall take some paracetamol before I go to bed and certainly stay in for a few days.
    Holly, I just had to make do with sultanas and cinnamon this morning I didn't have any apple, but I do often have cinnamon and raisin porridge with stewed apples - I do them with sweetener so don't need to add any sugar or honey to the porridge.

By the way I had a quick look in sainsbugs for HXB's and the ones they had looked pale and very unappetising not at all what I expect from a HXB.
    Thanks, I've got some stewed apples in one of the freezers so it will be an opportunity to use something from the freezer, so a win win situation :D.

I saw theirs when I went in the store and agree that they don't look that good. I've just had a look on their web site and they really are that pale.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It should be fine. I often use milk and vinegar or lemon juice instead of buttermilk and it is always as good as using buttermilk. It's so much cheaper. as well.

Enjoy the wonderful smell from the cooking bread :).
  • caronc
    Fingers crossed, hope you've got butter and cheese in;), nothing nicer than warm soda bread with those IMHO:D
  • MrAPJI
    MrAPJI Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Irenadler wrote: »

I feel positively piggish compared to other people's diets,,

You're not the only one :D

Lunch today was at a carvery - nice not to have to cook :). The meal was pretty good and such a wide choice for both vegetarians and meat eaters alike. There was a sweet trolley which was laden with calories - but who could resist - certainly not me :)

I told BucksLady that when baby number 2 is born - I was to be the 'first' to be told:D Just received a message from her husband to say that at 6.15 pm a baby girl was born at home. So that's a bit of good news for a change :T

Holly, you're really in the wars. Hope you feel much better soon :)

Did anyone see that programme with Miriam Margoyles in America? At one point she was driving and munching on a radish - couldn't believe the size of that.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    Fingers crossed, hope you've got butter and cheese in;), nothing nicer than warm soda bread with those IMHO:D

Thanks...I have both :D

But Ouch, just burnt my hand getting it out of the oven :(

BTW how do I know when it's 'done'? I left it in 25 mins as per recipe and it looks 'done'....as you all may guess, baking isn't my strong point but I am determined to actually 'cook' this year :o

Holly...just take it easy, eat what you fancy and I really hope you feel better soon xx
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family