Mortimer Clarke

Options
Hi, I received a letter from Mortimer Clarke a few months ago (June I think) saying I owed their client ME III Ltd £1687.16. I had no idea who this ME III was nor had I had any communication from them. I wrote to Mortimer Clarke saying I had no idea of this client of theirs and could they provide me with copies of any agreements relating to this debt. I had a letter back saying that any further action was suspended while they awaited the documentation. I heard nothing until another letter arrived from M.C on October 7 2017. The letter is dated 2 October 2017. In it they say that the debt relates to a hire purchase agreement with Black Horse Ltd entered into on 25/09/2006, terminated on 05/06/2013. The debt was then assigned to our client ME III Ltd on 01/10/2015. They have included the original agreement, Statement of Account & Default Notice. They then say "We can confirm the balance on your account is £1687.16 and is valid until 02/10/2017. My question is this debt still enforceable if it was only valid to 02/10/2017 (which was also the date of the letter) & bearing in mind I received it in the post on 07/10/2017? I also suffer with anxiety & depression & am on medication from my GP for it so really hope this can be sorted. Sorry for the long post!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Prior to writing to to Mortimer Clarke, when did you last acknowledge the debt in writing, or make a payment to the debt?
  • Mid_Mike
    Options
    The last payment was to Black Horse on 15/07/2013. The original loan was for a car purchase, I have checked for outstanding finance & it's showing as clear.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mid_Mike wrote: »
    The last payment was to Black Horse on 15/07/2013.

And prior to that?

Has there, at any time, been a continuous period of 6 years (5 if you are in Scotland), during which no payment/acknowledgement took place?
  • Mid_Mike
    Options
    I had made payments up to 15/07/2013 but nothing since. They have not supplied any paperwork relating to ME III Ltd the only information I have is relating to Black Horse.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    This other company is a holding company of a DCA most likely and a bit of a red herring.

Anyway, if you made payments until July 2013 the debt isn't statute barred until 2019.

Have they sent proof of the debt? If so, you'll need to arrange a payment plan or run the risk of a CCJ being sought.

If they haven't send a Prove it letter for proof of the debt.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The wording of the letter makes no difference, the debt is enforceable as long as they have provided proof of liability usually in the form of a credit agreement, which you say they have.

The next step is up to you, if you continue to ignore, you risk a CCJ by default.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    StopIt wrote: »
    If they haven't send a Prove it letter for proof of the debt.

That was going to be my next suggestion.
  • Mid_Mike
    Options
    Thanks all for the info. So it looks as though the debt is enforceable? I have completed the income & expenditure form but not sent it to Mortimer Clarke yet. Money is very tight & i only have about £40 a month left after expenses. I have put all this on the form so hope they will take that into account.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    £40 per month is 3.5 years to clear it.

You might want to see if you can tighten your belt a little, and save a bit each month, so you can offer a F&F in a year or so.
  • bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don't mention if they have given you a statement of the account detailing the actual debt.

Did you complete the payments in full? Was there anything outstanding when you stopped paying? If you are fully confident that there was no outstanding sum on the account, write to them and ask for a full statement of the debt as it stands. If they can prove that you did leave an outstanding sum, then you will have to repay it.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport