Wall not aligned correctly?!

imgur.cxm/a/UdcBz

Can anyone shed any light on what on earth is going on here? Both window and door are correctly aligned in the wall so it's the wall above them that isn't straight.

The wall above the door is 2 cm out of alignment and wall above the window by 1 cm which is noticeable and frankly alarming as it's an external load bearing wall.

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    https://imgur.com/a/UdcBz

Is it a new build? My house is old but there's not a true right angle in the place and all the windows are a bit wonky. Doesn't appear to have caused any bother. If it's new then I guess if nothing else it's a bit sloppy which doesn't bode well.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There isn't a single wall in my house that is straight.

It been standing for over 300 years.
  • The house was built in 1974 and everything else, from what I can tell, seems very well constructed. There are no issues in the room above for example.

Do you think these issues are cosmetic or could it be something worse like misaligned lintel or subsidence? My surveyor was pretty bad and so I can easily imagine him missing these when we bought the house a few months ago.

If it is cosmetic could a plaster straighten it out?
  • Thank you, both that's very reassuring.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    I really wouldn't worry if it's been like that since 1974. I'm sure you could get something cosmetic done if it really bothers you. I wouldn't think it's got anything to do with movement. Probably always been like that (but just my guess!). I've got used to the slopes in my house - my only gripe is that it looks like the blind I fitted to my living room window is wonky when it's actually the windowsill!:)
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Are we looking at a 200mm difference in height between either side of the door? Surely that is a typo....20mm perhaps?

Put a spirit level on the top of the door frame and the ceiling and see which is sloping.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Damagedcar wrote: »
    The house was built in 1974.

Mine was built in 75, I don't have much in the way of wonky walls, but it took me 4 hours to hang each new door due to the door frames being so badly built, literally 2 inches wider at the tops than the bottoms..... The missus thought I was just being lazy until I got her to help me hang a couple of them.

I've now come to the conclusion that everyone in 1975 was stoned off their face :p
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Looks to me like the reveal is wonky, not the wall/ceiling line. Not uncommon to find wonky lines and corners in most houses, even new build ones!

If it bothers you that much, the solution is to find a good plasterer who can remove the plaster back to the brick/block, patch it up with plasterboard and bonding plaster to make a nice straight line and patch skim the area for a seamless repair.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ignore it; you'll forget all about it in a week.
  • WobblyDog
    WobblyDog Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As long as it's not moving, and cracks aren't appearing, I wouldn't worry about it.

One of the ceilings in my 1980s house slopes. There are only a few houses like mine on the estate, and I think the builders never got enough practice building that model to get everything right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure