Over 24 hr flight delay and missed day of holiday

Options
Hi. We were due to fly on Saturday with tui but 30 mins after takeoff there was a technical issue and our plane was rerouted to another uk airport. We were then left their overnight, in a fairly ropey hotel with 2 children (one only 6months old), unable to even be able to accommodated all in one room. Eventually we flew 25 hrs late.

We have therefore missed an entire day and night of a 7 day holiday. Tui have been forthcoming and said we will receive the standard flight compensation for an over 3 hr delay but this feels inadequate when we missed an entire 1/7 of a long awaited holiday compared to someone who had a 3hr 1 minute delay. Is there any scope for any additional claim? Clearly the people due to fly home were also delayed but they had already had their full holiday yet the compensation is identical?

Many thanks.

Comments

• brewthebear
    Options
    I should imagine with the compensation you are able to book another holiday practically free of charge sounds like a win win
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dont forget your kids are also due compensation if your paid anything for their flights (including an admin fee)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    also, any compensation for the kids is theirs not yours. It goes to the individual person, not the person who pays for the flights.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The people coming back from holiday will (maybe) have lost a days wages, extra car parking, additional transport costs etc etc... Just enjoy the six days you have got, and sort out the other carp when you get home. S**t happens!
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If this was a package holiday then have a look at the terms and conditions so see if there is any cover there (EU261 for flight delay is a fixed amount based on distance)
  • scalextric
    Options
    also, any compensation for the kids is theirs not yours. It goes to the individual person, not the person who pays for the flights.

I am sure the child who is 6 months will put it to good use...
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    saving bonds or something like that.
  • Elsijay
    Options
    Don’t get me wrong. I totally appreciate this is a first world problem. And that there were repercussions for people coming home too - Must be a horrid way to end a holiday. However it basically means my weeks holiday turned into 5 days, 3 days with seriously overtired and crabby children. And it doesn’t seem quite right that a 3hr delay is treated the same as losing a significant part of your holiday. However the responses on here are a little unkind - it won’t cover the cost of the holiday, we don’t have any more time off as a whole family for 10 months so just rebooking another holiday (even if it covered it) isn't realistic. However apparently that isn’t a reason to ask a question or be upset. Clearly I was unreasonable to ask!
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Elsijay wrote: »
    Don’t get me wrong. I totally appreciate this is a first world problem. And that there were repercussions for people coming home too - Must be a horrid way to end a holiday. However it basically means my weeks holiday turned into 5 days, 3 days with seriously overtired and crabby children. And it doesn’t seem quite right that a 3hr delay is treated the same as losing a significant part of your holiday. However the responses on here are a little unkind - it won’t cover the cost of the holiday, we don’t have any more time off as a whole family for 10 months so just rebooking another holiday (even if it covered it) isn't realistic. However apparently that isn’t a reason to ask a question or be upset. Clearly I was unreasonable to ask!

I was delayed more than 24 hours 2 years ago...total travel time turned in to about 50 hours. KLM wouldnt give me compo , I had to use Bott and co , they eventually paid, minus Botts commission.,!!!! happens.

No need to mention the children
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Regarding your comment on it not seeming fair that a 3h01m delay receives the same EU261 compensation as a 25h delay - how about the compensation level being the same for someone who pays £5k upwards for a business class seat being the same compensation level as someone who paid £100 for a cheap economy basic flight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure