£75 'No Commitments' Package from Sky Plus free Ipod/Payg Mobile/Phones/Hi-fi

Comments

• GraniteMum
    GraniteMum Posts: 68 Forumite
    There may be loads of awful channels, and it is more expensive than Freeview box. But if your aerial needs to be upgraded then it is a cheaper option. My quote for a new aerial was just over the £100 mark.
    She slashed every one of us
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,955
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You can pick it up in some Asda stores at £75
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • Innys
    Innys Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    I cancelled my Sky contracts a few months ago and now just use the box for the terrestrial channels plus ITV2, BBC3 etc.

Looking at the channels listed in this offer, I'm not tempted at all. As other posters have said, most of what Dixons are including in this offer is utter garbage. They'd have to pay me to watch it, not the other way round...
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Might pay me, I have already a dish and standard sky box, tho don't subscribe to Sky.
    BUT can't get Channel 5 now and the NEW viewer card and another box is worth something. Plus 2 sky channels for 6 months.
  • M20DAL
    M20DAL Posts: 304 Forumite
    A Bit Of Subject But My Sky Box Has Stopped WorKing Green Light Wont Come On Just Red Any Ideas Whats Wrong Please And Its Out Of Warranty
  • roses
    roses Posts: 2,330
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Where can I find a list of the Freestat channels due to be launched next year?
  • I don,t know whether this is relevent but Sky are withdrawing all their free channels .This means that Sky News,Sky Sports News + the other free,s are going to be subscribe ONLY. The regulaters are investigating, but it will happen.
    10 July 2007

What's the deal?

Sky, exclusively via the Dixons Group, is selling a Sky 'No Commitments' TV package* enabling access to 200+ & 95 radio stations for a one-off £75 + £4 delivery (this is at Dixons, delivery is more from Currys). Plus, for six months you get Sky's Variety and Knowledge mixes as well.

Why's it different?

This is a bit like Sky's equivalent to a freeview box with more channels. Normally Sky offers this via its FreeSat package costing £150 so this is a big saving, plus unlike normal Sky packages, there's no need for a credit check.

Of course it wants you to later sign up for more channels, but there's no need.

It's only for new customers though...

Unfortunately, the offer's only available to new Sky customers, but if you're reaching the end of a contract with it anyway, call Sky directly as it may give leeway on this if it faces the possibility of losing a customer completely.

What's included?

All equipment plus standard installation is included so, unless your dish is a nightmare to fix (your installer will inform you of this and if there's an additional installation cost; subsequently you can cancel your order if this is too pricey), you won't ever pay more than £79.

Take a look at the full list of tv channels and radio stations available.
    How does it compare to similar lost cost digital TV deals
    • Other Sky Deals: It's very similar to the FreeSat package but around half the price. Additionally, Sky offers a pay monthly deal similar to this for £30 installation then £15 per month (although then you permanently get two of its 'mix' channels out of six - so there are more channels in the long run). Thus after five months, you'd have already paid more than the one off no commitment package cost.
    • Compared to Freeview. This system is substantially more expensive than a Freeview box, but it has substantially more channelsthan Freeview (see Freeview Channels), and Freeview isn't available in some poor signal areas.

Freeview boxes are available for around £20 though; two options include Digi Home DVB915* available at Amazon for £19.99 incl. delivery and Digi Home DV940B* available in Argos stores for £19.99 (or order online for £24.90)
    If you've already got sky/digital TV other ways to cut the cost

Read the full Digital TV Cost Cutting article for more info

Martin

P.S. This discussion was originally started by the poster immediately below. This entry has been inserted so I can put an official, fully researched MoneySavingExpert.com explanation at the top. Thank you to Mark_Ice for spotting the offer.
    threadbanner.gif

* Using any starred links helps the site stay ad-free and free to use, as they’re ‘affiliated links’ which invisibly take you via commercial price comparison services like Moneysupermarket or Find, which then pay this site per click

You shouldn’t notice any difference, the links don’t impact the product at all and the editorial line (the things I write) is NEVER impacted by the revenue. If it isn’t possible to get an affiliate link for the best product, it is still recommended and still included. The following dixons.co.uk are identical unaffiliated links provided for the sake of transparency. Click on the following link for more details on this site’s non-profit driven how the site's financed[/quote]
  • With Sky+ being free now we did a channel audit and found we only really watched the terestial channels, Sky One, E4, News and some UK Style channels. We got the 2 package channels and Sky+ and now only pay £15 - BIG SAVING on things we never really watched.
  • I feel this is just another con from Sky to get more people closer to paying for a package of some sorts.
    I just looked over the list of channels on offer compared to freeview and not all freeview channels are available through the Sky deal, e.g. E4, E4+1 and others listed by malcolmwilliamson above.
    IMO Freeview is still the best option...and cheaper!!
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,576
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mark_Ice wrote: »
    Ive pinched this for another forum and I'm NOT ashamed :A :D

Its all about sharing right!

Which forum??? Not sharing are you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories