Great 'What's Hot and What's not at Aldi, Lidl & Netto' Hunt revisted

Comments

• Aldi
    Great for:
    Weetabix own brand
    Cereal bars (just like nutrigrain) Strawb or apple
    Columbian coffee
    Strawberry conserve
    All fruit and veg - fantastic quality lasts longer than major supermarkets, I won't buy it from anywhere else.
    Sliced Edam
    Moscato Spumanti (£3.49 a bottle) just like Asti Martini
    Whiskey
    Southern Belle (best cheaper alternative to Southern Comfort - have tried every other supermarkets own brand)
    Minced Beef
    Whole chickens
    Pork Loins
    Bacon
    Toilet rolls
    Baby wipes
    Toddler pull ups
    Tinned chopped tomatoes
    Tinned sweetcorn
    Sweet Valley Pots of chopped fruit in juice
    Reduced fat potatoe crisps
    Honey roast ham slices
    Kids yoghurts and fromage frais - pots and tubes
    milk (sometimes short date compared to major supermarkets, always check.

These are the things I buy every week, then I go to Asda to get the rest of my shopping. It works out very well for me, the mild inconvenience of visiting 2 supermarkets with a toddler to get in and out of the car seat is worth it when I look at how much money I save each month. My shopping bills have gone from £600 to £400 since I began to do this instead of doing all my shopping at Sainsburys. Hope this helps.
    I'm looking for a good deal on an ipad and an ipod for christmas 2013 :j
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    damoderby wrote: »
    I can thoroughly recomend the Specially Selected Chips.Absolutely gorgeous,similar but better thanMarks and Spencers Maris pipers chips.

I've bought some, and will try them in the next few days.
  • dawn27
    dawn27 Posts: 314 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    went shopping in Lidl and found

24 charmin toilet roll £6.53
    2 litre pepsi 70p
    and also a winter car car kit for £2.53, had de-icer, antifreeze and a small de-icer for the locks, a cloth for demisting the windows and an ice scraper...bargain
  • Is the Aldi on Old Kent Road still open?

I can't seem to find it on their store finder. That might just be me being thick though.

Which wouldn't be the first time :o
  • I think the postcode for that branch is SE15 1NQ. It looked open when I went by it on the bus the other day.
  • Who does the best washing up liquid besides Fairy?
    Cant seem to find a decent cheap one I live in Ireland and Fairy, when not on offer is about 2 euros. Thnaks
  • Aldi:
    washing liquid (stopped buying bold now)
    chocolate breakfast pastry things
    digestive biscuits
    ham
    pizzas
    orange and blackcurrant squash
    fruit/veg (love pineapples so at 69p a bargain!)
    pasta sauces
    bread
    eggs
    crunchy nut cornflake equivalent
    muesli
  • jaytin
    jaytin Posts: 473 Forumite
    Can anyone tell me if Lidl's washing powder is ok for eczema? My son gets it badly on his legs so I have bought nothing but Fairy non-bio for a long time. Do they actually have a non-bio one in Lidl?
  • brownbake
    brownbake Posts: 561 Forumite
    jaredava wrote: »
    Who does the best washing up liquid besides Fairy?
    Cant seem to find a decent cheap one I live in Ireland and Fairy, when not on offer is about 2 euros. Thnaks

Lidl own brand washing up was a Which best buy. Fairy is the best but I think this was nearly as good and it costs about 70p. We use it and can't fault it.
  • brownbake
    brownbake Posts: 561 Forumite
    rosieben wrote: »
    I think that's happening all across the board tbh as manufacturers try to cut costs without cutting profits. Various things were mentioned on another thread, and I said there that Heinz tomato ketchup is very watery to what it used to be. Something to watch out for in all products/stores really. I shall be trying a cheaper ketchup from lidl next time I go.;)

We tried Lidl tommy sauce and it was OK but will be going back to Heinz. I guess it depends how often you have it. We don't have it much so when we do we would prefer to stuff that tastes nice IMO
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure