Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Real life MMD: Should I stop my 10% charity payment?

1789101113»

Comments

• JoannaS_3
    JoannaS_3 Posts: 103 Forumite
    guiriman wrote: »
    They actually wrote "If I decided to live in a bigger house...", that's not quite the same as saying that this person has done that. However it is possible that the individual in question could very well live in a smaller house than the one they previously shared with their ex-wife and hence have less of a mortgage and more financial flexibility. There's really not enough detail to say (and I don't really think anyone is in a position to say). I think SunnyBrighton's point was that there are people (and I know a few) who'll go out and spend a load of money on something they could live without (eg a bigger house, flashier car) and then complain that they have no money as if it wasn't a result of their own actions.

On a side issue I think the title "Should I stop my 10% charity payment?" is a bit misleading. While many churches are charities I don't think that those who give financially to churches view them in the same bracket even if those who don't regard them as 'just another charity'.

Thank you for quoting me, although I think you may have missed my point entirely....

Yes the person I originally quoted said "If I Decided to live in a bigger house, then I wouldn't have spare disposable income either" and I quoted them as they then go onto say "You need to decide your priorities" So the reason for me quoting was to point out that it is none of anoyone's business on here what the man's priorities are!!

He hasn't asked us whether we think he should change his priorities but whether he should continue to donate 10% of his salalry to his Church.

You assume that the SunnyBrighton's point was that some people spend their money on things they don't need and then sacrifice in other areas "as if it wasn't a result of their own actions" then SunnyBrighton would have made that his point!!

Again, it isn't for us to tell this man he should consider downsizing as that isn't his dilemma!!!! His dilemma is whether he should continue giving to church!!!!!

I quoted SunnyBrighton as he had no right to question someone's priorities and made it sound as if the guy has chosen to live in a big house and be tight for money when that is obviously not the case!!

Perhaps if you had read my post thoroughly and for what it was you wouldn't have felt the need to quote me!! :T
    Debt owed £4000, Saved (to pay back) £300, only £3,700 to go!!

My best money saving tip: Good manners cost NOTHING! So please be nice to each other! :happylove
  • now lets get one thing straight for those of you who are unaware..... the meaning of religion is man made rules man made doctrine..... no where in the bible does it encourage you to be religious, all god wants you to have, is faith in him through jesus christ....

and if youre heart IS in it for god.... then no mater what you give regardless of what little you have he will keep you.
    if you cant trust in him for that then you will lose.... everything that is here, that you posses is his blessing for the minute and it can go as fast as you blink.
  • Brockyman
    Brockyman Posts: 383 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    lindonltm wrote: »
    now lets get one thing straight for those of you who are unaware..... the meaning of religion is man made rules man made doctrine.....
    And written by Men over 200 years after the events supposedly happened :huh: and missing out the bits the church didn't want its readers to see.
    If we were around in 200 years I wonder if we would see a world worshiping Harry Potter?
  • Lemanie_2
    Lemanie_2 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Brockyman wrote: »
    And written by Men over 200 years after the events supposedly happened :huh: and missing out the bits the church didn't want its readers to see.
    If we were around in 200 years I wonder if we would see a world worshiping Harry Potter?

John's Gospel was written about 35 years after Jesus died, whilst those who knew and remembered the events were around to check his account was true. I can't remember when the other gospels were written, but I think they too were within living memories. Whilst that seems a long time to us, tradition was different in those times as not much was written down at all and people would often, and very acurately, tell and re-tell stories to each other so as to remember them.

35 years is a very unusually short time for historical record to come into being. By comparison, historical accounts of Alexander the Great were written almost 900 years after the events that happened - and no-one disputes them.

Not that this is a religious debate...
  • Julia4J
    Julia4J Posts: 17 Forumite
    In the book of Malachi we are encouraged to bring all of our tithes into God's house. I know Malachi is Old Testament but Jesus said He came to fulfil the law not to remove it. In fact the 10% tithe is the least we should give. I know it's hard, we have had great difficulty at times, however, God has never ever left us without food, clothes and a roof over our heads. He has promised to meet all our needs and if you think about what His Son did, all you can do is give in utter gratitude for His sacrifice.
  • I am Jewish and the highest level of giving is considered to be that which sets someone up in a profession and means they never need to ask for charity again. I also cannot afford to give 10% so I concentrate on small donation of the 'setting up' type of charity: £15 to Sightsavers for an eye operation, Kiva (gives small loans to small business people in the thrid world so they can set up or improve their business) or sponsoring a child through Action Aid. If you want to support a UK charity, I'm sure there are similar things.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The central idea is I think how to weigh up financial agreements we would like to make that aren't directly essential to our own financial situation. These really could be anything, but the main point is they're ones we want to make. However, want to make and need to make are clearly different, as is able to make.

I think it's important to be objective and allow these commitments, whatever they are, time, money or something else to expand and contract depending on your current situation. My question is why stick to a fixed amount all the time?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure