What is the very very cheapest body disposal option after death?

And I really do mean the cheapest - no funeral directors involved, no ceremony, no paid-for cars, no coffin, no cremation, no burial. The very very cheapest option.
For example, in the extreme could my body be put in a bin bag and dumped at the local waste centre?

Comments

• Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,158 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Donate the body to medical or forensic science. Completely free AFAIK
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Bury them in your back garden, with permission from the council I think, just need to notify any potential buyers if you sell so they don't think they are digging up a murder victim.

Donation to science have their own requirements as to cause of death and not accepting the body, sometimes have more than enough bodies so won't take them for quite a while.

Best bet is don't claim the body when the person dies.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 October 2019 at 2:21PM
    Donating body to science.

The medical school will cremate your remains then hold an annual memorial service to all donors, thanking them for their generosity. All free.
    However, not all bodies are automatically used. The schools have strict guidelines on which bodies they can use ( e.g. location of death, circumstances of death such as disease).
    Your estate will then have to deal with your corpse and funeral.

Your relatives can't donate your corpse to a medical school. You must organise your donation whilst alive.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 October 2019 at 2:25PM
    You do have to be as normal and typical as possible at death. Healthy but dead (!)

Unless you have an interesting condition, and the researchers would really benefit from your donation.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Pootle1 wrote: »
    For example, in the extreme could my body be put in a bin bag and dumped at the local waste centre?

That would be illegal, same as if you were dumping any other medical waste without following the proper procedures.

The very very cheapest option (with no potential cost to anyone) is to fall into the sea in international waters, preferably weighted down so you don't wash up somewhere.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 22 October 2019 at 8:49AM
    Malthusian wrote: »
    That would be illegal, same as if you were dumping any other medical waste without following the proper procedures.

The very very cheapest option (with no potential cost to anyone) is to fall into the sea in international waters, preferably weighted down so you don't wash up somewhere.

Sea burial would get quite expensive if you did not have access to suitable transport free.

Private land(with permission) that meets the relevant criteria environmental criteria and local bylaws would be cheaper.

Cremation has a few more hurdles some cost if you want to reduce risk of prosecution.
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,158 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 October 2019 at 6:29PM
    Medical schools do want want healthy (but dead) cadavers, the students need to learn what parts of a normal body look like before they learn about what various illnesses do to them, but forensic researchers are not so fussy, they can use them to contrive situations (eg buried in various soils, left exposed to elements in various conditions) to help the pathologist make more accurate estimates of time of death etc. An old friend who died of cancer, but also had extensive COPD did exactly that. Tough on the relatives and friends left behind though.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Fen1 wrote: »
    You do have to be as normal and typical as possible at death. Healthy but dead (!)

Unless you have an interesting condition, and the researchers would really benefit from your donation.

They don't use donated bodies for research, only for teaching students anatomy.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You can have a cremation, just carted up in a body bag in the back of a black van with a bunch of others, cremated and scattered in the rose garden
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sea burial would get quite expensive if you did not have access to suitable transport free.

Private land(with permission) that meets the relevant criteria environmental criteria and local bylaws would be cheaper.

Cremation has a few more hurdles some cost if you want to reduce risk of persecution.

Why would you be persecuted?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport