PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Spring Cleaning the Freezers - 52 days on £70

Comments

• hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Denise - how did you know I have four tins of coconut milk sitting in my cupboard? :rotfl:

erm, can you send some this way? I was making lentil dhal but neglected to check supplies. I thought back on the earlier post and whizzed some decimated in the little blender which made powder nicely, I've mixed it in with some added water and will report back later.

Coconut rice was the other thing I thought of.
    purpleivy wrote: »
    :
    Mint viennetta:( Why does anyone think that toothpaste makes a good flavour for icecream?:rotfl:

Exactly, but it was part of the £10 frozen thing in the co-op at Christmas
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't know if any of the following recipes will grab you! from the latest GH mag (so assume recipe or something similar can be found online.)

Carrot, chickpea & falafel traybake

Mac & greens

Black bean cottage pie- now this looks interesting- mince bulked out with tin black beans tin chopped toms, herbs. Topped with mashed sweet pots & soured cream.Feta crumbled on top.

Spiced rice pudding- zest of 1/2 each lemon & orange, cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla paste

Dairy free fruity flapjack crumble: plums, frozen mixed berries cooked with maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla.. Topped with oats, wholemeal fl, flaked almonds mixed with coconut oil
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Thank you all for the coconut in curry ideas! I can see prawn curry is the way to go (if I can wean myself off a sudden love for macaroons)! I do like prawns, though... :)

Denise - how did you know I have four tins of coconut milk sitting in my cupboard? :rotfl:

I didn't but thought as I was on the subject of coconut and curry I might as well give another thing I do for information for others:D

Denise
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I also got the change password message - not changed for 4033 days! That's more than 10 years, LOL!

Denise
  • loving all the recipe suggestions. will be including some in March's meal plan as I've already done Feb.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Confession time :o I spent £2.00 of my very small pot on a pizza for DH tea as I really couldn't face making the meal I had planned. I had the last ys pizza from the freezer so at least I have crossed another thing off the list.

I also bought some ys clementines for 79p but resisted the ys gluten free quiche and chicken pies I would normally have snapped up as we don't need them.

TOTAL SPENT - £10.93 AMOUNT LEFT - £59.07 DAYS REMAINING - 48 VALUE OF FOODS PURCHASED WITH WORK ALLOWANCES £3.00
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I spent the morning in the kitchen, assisted by DS (7), and we have made:

1) Thriftylesley's Tomato Scones topped with a little cheese https://www.thriftylesley.com/tomato-scones-5p-each/
    2) A batch of Rose Elliot's Best Ever Chilli
    https://www.veganrecipeclub.org.uk/recipes/roses-best-ever-chilli
    3) Flapjack

I can't seem to get links to show properly using the 'inset hyperlink' button.:(

I've also cooked all the jacket potatoes, some we have had for lunch and the rest DH will have for lunches next week with the chilli. DH had HM curried beans with his at lunch and I finished the dregs of a bottle of hot sauce into them as well.;)

The beans are very easy and DH loves them. Fry half a small onion in a little oil or butter, add a tsp of curry powder, cook for a minute or so. If it sticks a bit I put in a little of the sauce out of the beans. Add the beans and a small handful of sultanas and heat through.

The list's have a few more items crossed out or with numbers reduced :)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    I have three lone burgers out of the freezer today. One or two home make and one or two luxury brand reduced to 50% on Ocado flash sale.

I haven't had an Ocado order this week, so planning round not having another one yet. Seeing how long I can go!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2018 at 3:18PM
    Have you thought of making your own pizzas XSpender? Not sure if you have the wherewithal, but they're easy to do and you can use all manner of ingredients as topping, as long as your family isn't too conservative!

I don't put tomato/ cheese on for dd. I make an onion mix for her with a small amount of tomato in it. She gave up dairy for a bit to see if it helped with a health condition, found she preferred more of a '!!!!aladière' type of thing.

ETA... see you have things to use..... even pineapple if you see fit. Fancy adding !!!! for p i s saladière!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,032 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Those beans sound tasty XSpender! A rather lower calorie version than mine, which is to mix in BBQ sauce and top with cheese.

I haven't made any progress on food cupboards today and have actually shopped for more ingredients. Please don't banish me from the thread! :o
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family