I’m taking control of my life, now.

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just reflect on how much worse it could be if you had not started your debt-free journey. A bit like a climb up a mountain, you may have to change your route a bit to take account of the conditions but you know where you are going.

Remember the meal and your enjoyment of it but don't dwell on the cost - maybe the value is greater.

Chin up and carry on, you really are making progress.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Fingers crossed about your husband's hours, it's not a nice feeling to be worrying & you can't even speak to him about it.

Regarding dinner, getting to where you want to be (debt free) will almost certainly involve periods of one step forward, two steps back. You did it, you didn't like how it made you feel - you've learned something from it & will try something different next time.

Hope all goes well with the MOTs.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Awww Paws I am sorry to hear that about your husband's job. And doubly hard you can't talk about it yet. It's one of those things where you'll probably worry about it until you know either way, but then at least you can come up with a plan together.

You know, it's a long road to debt freedom. Think of all the times you have said no already to dinners/drinks. Just because you said yes that time doesn't negate all the good times.

Big hugs.

Thank you. Hug accepted.
    117pauline wrote: »
    Hi Paws

I really like reading your diary.

Now, the meal out.... I can see why you are upset about it but it is a part of becoming debt free - we all make mistakes and have setbacks but don't over-react to it. It is one mis-step not the road to ruin.

If you can talk to your OH then perhaps you can come up with some strategies to avoid it happening again.

Don't forget it will take a long time to get used to the new you. Keep practising the good choices and bad ones won't happen so often.

Good luck on getting back on track
    Pauline

Thank you Pauline, I'm really glad you're still reading :)
    "Bad things
    Heard that the husbands hours are probably going to be cut. Don't know anymore details. What makes it worse is I heard this in a confidential meeting so I can't even talk to him about it. This obviously slows down all our plans for getting rid of the hideous debt.
    big car and motorbike are due mots and repairs and I have a bad feeling about both
    Have avoided posting about this before, but I have been dwelling on this, so need to get it off my chest. On Saturday night, after our little treat activity, we went for dinner. I didn't want to but the husband guilted me. We spent £67. I'm less bothered about the money, more that I have been weak and it really makes me question if I have got what it takes to clear this debt. I feel like we haven't really made much effort to reduce our spends at all"

Oh Paws, sorry about DH, I'm sure things will work out.

As for the dinner out, of course you have got what it takes to clear the debt...look at how far you've come so far, everyone has a blip (you've read my diary!?! :rotfl:) please don't beat yourself up about it.

Big hugs to you xxx

Another hug accepted. :)
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    angelpye wrote: »
    Horrible situation to be in about husbands hours. From what I can see on your signature you have cleared £4K? In a couple of months? I think this journey is a long haul for many and the odd treat (as long as it is the odd one) is ok. From your first post it sounded like you were really strict and that didn't work. Its done now so chin up and move on.

A little bit of that £4k was Christmas pressie money from my Dad :o, I wont be paying it all back at that rate! But yes, its a good start, thank you
    This in the same post as you saying that you haven't spent money at work for weeks, have been eating healthier, meal planning, and you've paid a big chunk of money off in just under 2 months! You're doing great, Box. :T
    Aw thanks Armchairexpert. I do sometimes focus on the negative. I saw a post on facebook recently that said 'if overthinking burnt calories, I'd be dead'. That's me, that is.
    Sorry to hear about your husband#s hours, I hope you hear for definite soon so you can discuss it with him.

And you need to view the meal out like the proverbial bar of chocolate when you're on a diet. Just because you ate one bar of chocolate doesn't mean you give up on the entire diet. You brush yourself off, accept the minor effect and keep on going.

Thank you treading. I am just a bit worried that it doesnt feel like one bar of chocolate. It feels like lots of bars of chocolate and then one massive bar of chocolate. I'm worried that I used spend money wildly and the only thing i am doing differently now is posting after spending wildly.
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    Ahh Paws that's a tough one about your OH's hours - rather unprofessional of the company to have put you in that position really - not least as it puts you in an impossible position of torn loyalties over telling him or not. Hope it works out OK and isn't as bad as you fear.

I dont think they realised there was someone in the meeting with a spouse in his department. I understand the reasons, and I think they are the right ones, and they might even be the right ones for us in the long term, but we might have to tighten our belts (more)
    Macey1510 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your OHs hours. I hope everything works out well.

Thank you Macey :)
    JoJoC wrote: »
    I think you’re doing a great job and you’re most definitely cut out to get rid of the debt! Just look at all you’ve achieved so far and you’ll see that you’re doing great.

You lot are a lovely bunch, you really are. I saw a post on another thread that was a little disapproving about seeking out strangers' approval. How wrong they are. The kindness of people on here is keeping me sane. Well, a little less insane :D
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    Just reflect on how much worse it could be if you had not started your debt-free journey. A bit like a climb up a mountain, you may have to change your route a bit to take account of the conditions but you know where you are going.

Remember the meal and your enjoyment of it but don't dwell on the cost - maybe the value is greater.

Chin up and carry on, you really are making progress.

You're right actually. 2 months ago, we would have had the meal out but would have had to put it on credit card. Our bank account it looking extremely depleted right now, but I am not in the slightest bit tempted to borrow money.
    sashybo wrote: »
    Fingers crossed about your husband's hours, it's not a nice feeling to be worrying & you can't even speak to him about it.

Regarding dinner, getting to where you want to be (debt free) will almost certainly involve periods of one step forward, two steps back. You did it, you didn't like how it made you feel - you've learned something from it & will try something different next time.

Hope all goes well with the MOTs.

I am trying not to think of his hours until I know for definite what is happening. Thank you Sashybo :)
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    boxofpaws wrote: »
    You lot are a lovely bunch, you really are. I saw a post on another thread that was a little disapproving about seeking out strangers' approval. How wrong they are. The kindness of people on here is keeping me sane. Well, a little less insane :D

I totally agree. This site has saved me and my DH from ourselves.
    You keep posting and if someone has a problem with it it's their problem not yours :p

You have done so well you should be proud at what you've achieved so far.
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    Good things :j
    • Work is definitely improving daily. I have new boss and she is really really good, I am feeling really supported.
    • I am going to go on a business trip to Vienna in May. Excited about that.
    • I have seen the bonus I am getting and it is MUCH better than expected. Probably going to take home £1300 (was expected about £800).
    • Forgot to report back earlier but the Iceland chateaubriand was fantastic.
    • Had a firm favourite 'eat well for less meal tonight' (sea bass papillote) with Iceland seabass and it was fab. I might be an Iceland convert.
    • Sent final meter readings to Scottish Power so the switch is all going through.
    • Had a convo with one of the managers who seems to be under the impression that the part of the department my husband works in might not be affected by the hours cut. We will see.

Bad things:exclamati
    • Boiled my eggs but forgot to take them to work so spent 65p in the work canteen on soup
    • Have had a bit of a strop at the husband. He said to me last night 'Tall friend wants to go to the pub quiz on Sunday'. Me - 'we cant afford it'. Him 'I know'. Me 'You'll tell him no then'. Him 'I accidentally just sent him a thumbs up sign'. Me, some incoherent ranting and then silence, for 24 hours. He did tell me when he got into bed last night that he has cancelled.

I am frankly sick of being made to feel like the fun-sponge. We cannot say yes to everybody, every time they ask! We cant afford it, so why is it always me that has to say no?

He is making me all angry
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd be annoyed to. No one wants to play bad cop. Unfair to be made to or see both of you derail the progress.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    boxofpaws wrote: »
    Good things :j
    • Work is definitely improving daily. I have new boss and she is really really good, I am feeling really supported.
    • I am going to go on a business trip to Vienna in May. Excited about that.
    • I have seen the bonus I am getting and it is MUCH better than expected. Probably going to take home £1300 (was expected about £800).
    • Forgot to report back earlier but the Iceland chateaubriand was fantastic.
    • Had a firm favourite 'eat well for less meal tonight' (sea bass papillote) with Iceland seabass and it was fab. I might be an Iceland convert.
    • Sent final meter readings to Scottish Power so the switch is all going through.
    • Had a convo with one of the managers who seems to be under the impression that the part of the department my husband works in might not be affected by the hours cut. We will see.

Bad things:exclamati
    • Boiled my eggs but forgot to take them to work so spent 65p in the work canteen on soup
    • Have had a bit of a strop at the husband. He said to me last night 'Tall friend wants to go to the pub quiz on Sunday'. Me - 'we cant afford it'. Him 'I know'. Me 'You'll tell him no then'. Him 'I accidentally just sent him a thumbs up sign'. Me, some incoherent ranting and then silence, for 24 hours. He did tell me when he got into bed last night that he has cancelled.

I am frankly sick of being made to feel like the fun-sponge. We cannot say yes to everybody, every time they ask! We cant afford it, so why is it always me that has to say no?

He is making me all angry

Yay to the good things!

I sympathise about the hubby and the pub, glad he sorted it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback