Climbing the Mountain

Options
MistyMountainTop
MistyMountainTop Posts: 682 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
edited 31 December 2016 at 1:46PM in Debt free diaries
Hello! I have decided to start my own diary after being a long-time lurker. The inspiration on this forum is just lovely, maybe one day I can inspire someone too!

I do not have any debt, but I have not a bean in savings, pensions, an ISA, equity in property, etc. I currently work part time and qualify for some benefits but am looking for a new or additional job that will bring in a higher wage. I am also looking for new ways to bring in money from the internet, I currently do online surveys and competitions but am not yet seeing much of a return for the amount of time I have put in, so I am not sure if I will continue. I am very good at pinching the pennys so increasing my wages is probably the best way forward.

My main goal is to buy my very own property. I have been renting for decades, and now feel ready and excited to take on the challenge of saving as much as possible for a house deposit or even to buy something with cash. I would love to move to the wilds of Wales where I could live on the top of a misty mountain, but at my age, a retirement flat in Rhyl may be more practical. I am tempted by Ilona's lovely life in North Lincolnshire, so I will keep my options open for now. As long as I have a chimney and a wood burning stove, the animals and I will be happy!

Thank you for stopping by and please say hello!

Updated with 2017 list of goals so I can see them and edit as the year goes along.

1.Bring in extra £600 a month minimum, increasing income month on month
2. Actively explore new ways to achieve above
3. Finish the big de-clutter properly - anything sold, transfer money over to savings after bills are paid so it doesn't get spent
4. Keep a spending diary in handbag, update after every purchase, review at end of each month
5. Clean entire house thoroughly and set up a regular cleaning schedule, possibly join flylady
6. Make and stick to Meal Plans / shopping lists / food budget
7. Schedule No Spend days/weeks
8. Transfer odd change to savings account every day
9. Wombling
10. Keep Debt-Free diary updated
11. Budget – make and stick to
12. Eat proper breakfast/lunch mainly fruit and veg, eat smaller portions for dinner, less carbs/sugar, puddings on special occasions only
13. Cook most/all meals from scratch
14. Meatless meals twice a week, increasing as we find recipes we love
15. Bake once a week
16. Get off laptop and live in the real world, severely limit online time wasting
17. Lose 10lbs a month until reaching ideal weight, then maintain it
18. Take at least 3 long walks a week
19. Find a local yoga class and give it a try
20. Figure out how to get a good nights sleep during the change
21. Build up immune system/personal health
22. Think before buying, is it really wanted/needed/useful/going to ruin my diet?
23. Read all books I already own before buying/borrowing more
24. Ziffit all unwanted books/games/DVDs
25. Learn a new craft/skill i.e. knitting, quilting, or needlework
26. Be more present in life, make a point of really listening when people talk
27. Save for a week away with the family in a secluded holiday cottage in the country
28. Save up and keep £500 in emergency fund, replenish if spent
29. Keep on top of filofax planner and spend 10 minutes going over my calender/goals/lists every morning or possibly even the night before.
30. Have a weekly de-clutter day or half day

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    :hello: Hello! :D

welcome to MSE & Diary-land. So far as inspiration goes, you're in the right place, that much is for sure!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Huskyrunner
    Options
    Hi Misty

So what animals do you have?

My dream is similar lol its for us we would love too go to Alaska, a log cabin in the middle of nowhere and log burner and in the winter run our huskies everyday for fun. Preferably as far away from people as possible.
    debts 16550
    Mortgage 69500
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello and welcome to DFW!

Dxxx
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

Huskyrunner, I only have a small mixed terrier at the moment, but I do love him! He helps keep me active. My cat died last year and the landlord is not keen for me to replace her. That's another reason why I would like my own home, I'd love to have another dog and a cat or two. Maybe even a budgie or cockatiel. The log cabin and solitude sounds heavenly but I don't think I could cope with all the snow and dark winter days in Alaska! Best of luck to you though, is it something that will happen in the near future?
  • Huskyrunner
    Options
    Swap you lol

We have 7 Siberian Huskies 2 who are puppies 4 weeks old.

I dont know me and my partner can dream, we watch all the shows on Discovery like "The last alaskans" Mountain men/yukon men etc etc and it looks like heaven.
    debts 16550
    Mortgage 69500
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another new diary, what fun. Lots of great hints and tips on MSE so keep reading and keep posting.

Loving all the chat about animals too, I have a 7 year old Border Collie, I grew up in the country and always dreamed of a small home with an acre of two for my dogs to run free in and perhaps a donkey or two, didn't happen, but no regrets have mostly lived in or near the countryside.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    Puppies are so much fun! I adopt older dogs now, I no longer have the energy to keep up with pups.

I hope you are able to achieve your dream, Huskyrunner! It would have appealed to me in my younger days, but now my body prefers the warmth. And being close to a hospital, just in case. ;)
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    Maddiemay I would be worried about not giving a border collie enough to do, they are very smart dogs, aren't they! I have long admired them but stick to smaller dogs now, only because when they get older they sometimes need to be picked up to get up and down stairs etc. and I couldn't manage to pick up a large one. :o

An acre or two sounds lovely...as do the donkeys.
  • Huskyrunner
    Options
    2 of our dogs are adoptees :-) sofa huskies is what we call them lol
    debts 16550
    Mortgage 69500
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Ah there's a lot to be said for a portable model of dog! Parents have a dish mop - Cavachon, otherwise known as a Cavalier KingCharles Spaniel x Bichon Frise. Gorgeous, and barely sheds any hair. A dog is definitely on the wish-list for the future.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business