Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You look like the lucky recipient of someone's error, as they did offer long term guaranteed discounts, but they were low percentages.
  • cjp2k
    cjp2k Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes it was a 12month discount but with a expiry date of 2022. Sky admit it's a error but will honour the discount

Something got messed up last year as I signed up for 12 months broadband and phone with a agreed discount on the fibre then received a call 2 days later offering free line rental for 12 months would I like to accept... which I did

Unfortunately no such luck this year
  • Liberty1577
    Options
    cjp2k wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get anything of broadband and phone
    Last year I got a deal of £65 for multiroom, box sets, movies sports, fibre and line rental for 12 months. This has now expired and I can't get anything of the broadband or talk.

Have you actually cancelled your phone and broadband or just rang and threatened? I usually cancel and then ring a couple of days later to ask for a deal. I'm due to do it again later in the month but I'm finding the lack of broadband/phone deals worrying!
  • cjp2k
    cjp2k Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just the normal I'm moving to bt or vodafone etc. They basically matched the bt offer. I didn't want to rock the boat too much after finding out about the long tv discount
  • wbamattyd
    wbamattyd Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 5 January 2017 at 1:00PM
    Options
    It is very nice to see a number of customers of Sky have been rewarded for their loyalty but I have not. This is the second time as an existing customer of Sky that I have them unwilling to retain my custom and offer a better deal. Starting to get a bit self conscious lol, is my cash a different value to others? :-) First time I was with Sky for over 10 years, looked for new customer comparable deal but was advised not available to existing customers, looked at Virgin and got a fantastic deal which I was happy with. This was approximately 3 years ago. I then moved house, signed up with Sky for one of their new customer deals, this deal came to an end yesterday. I had everything through them, TV / Broadband and phone. This time (yesterday), I was on 36mb fibre broadband, anytime calls and full tv package. During my 12 months I had this all at a discounted rate of £85.00, which was about to increase in next month to £135.00. Although my DD was for £85.00, I spent nearer to £130.00 each month (calls). I consequently visited BT's website first. Priced up their Total Entertainment, BT Sports UHD package, Multi room / BT Infinity 2 (80mb as I work from home) and call anytime plus they have a tasty sim offer of £10.00, I am very interested in this as one of my mobile contracts is coming to an end next month. BT presented me with a price of £70.00 and this is with their new UHD tv boxes (Sky Q equivalent) and hub. I called Sky as I was armed with a price now and thought my loyalty and persuasion would work, I also advised them to remove the Cinema / Movies element I had, I asked for Sky Q, top broadband and Sky Sports and basic tv with multi room, they have gave me a price of £92.00. I then advised of BT price of £70.00 for the equivalent. Requested they match or improve, they advised no, the £92.00 was the best they could offer. I then said you have had almost £1600 of value out of me this year, never missed a payment, surely you can do a bit better, she said no, £92.00 is the best we can offer. Consequently I have advised to cancel my package, which she did there and then, I received an email literally 2 mins later confirming my cancellation. No retention skills whatsoever or reward for loyalty, I have now signed for BT, however, am still in my 14 day cooling period. However, I am not holding my breath for Sky to call me during this time.
  • checkmate2000
    Options
    I called up to cancel sky yesterday and was told ok the last day is 5th feb and then it will cancel, no deals no offers nothing! shocking!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    wbamattyd wrote: »
    First time I was with Sky for over 10 years, looked for new customer comparable deal but was advised not available to existing customers, looked at Virgin and got a fantastic deal which I was happy with...

I called Sky as I was armed with a price now and thought my loyalty and persuasion would work...

...I have now signed for BT, however, am still in my 14 day cooling period. However, I am not holding my breath for Sky to call me during this time.

Unless you missed bits out then the reason you're not getting decent offers is that you're not giving them enough opportunity. They will not offer you much on your first phone call but you will, after cancelling, get an immediate 50% offer (online, via app, email or phone call). You may refuse the follow up but if you go to live chat (IMHO the best option for discounts) I'm fairly sure you'll get an acceptable offer.

BT will be exactly the same at the end of your new contract.

Edit: this will apply to @checkmate2000 too.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I called up to cancel sky yesterday and was told ok the last day is 5th feb and then it will cancel, no deals no offers nothing! shocking!

The offers will come.

I'm currently receiving two calls a day from Sky, I'm not answering them right now because I've not started missing the content, also utilising NowTv free trials.

No idea what they will offer me, I'm only really interested in Sky Q type software now as smart viewing is the future, but I've no intentions of paying the full cost or spending 25-30 minutes listening to a deal I will reject.

I'm no longer willing to pay for installations for tv products. It's pointless in this day and age when internet viewing is so reliable, even in dead towns like mine.
  • Phoenixflyer101
    Options
    Have just cancelled all of my sky services this morning after being a loyal customer of 17 years.
    Have unlimited broadband, no call package as don't have a house phone. £24.90/month
    2 very old white sky boxes but pre HD days
    multiscreen £12/month
    Sky Go extra - never used - FOC
    variety pack - no sports or film channels £27.00/month
    Total £63.90/month
    Althought the chap on the phone made an effort he did not make any offers that would benefit me, update my old boxes or reduce my costs without losing some of my existing services.

I've check on the BT website and can get all new kit, HD, multiscreen and BT Infinity Unlimited. After taking into account cashback and up front costs it comes to an average monthly cost of £51.57.

Let's see if I get a reasonable offer.
  • isitenough
    isitenough Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Where do the offers show up when you've cancelled? Just cancelled today but obviously want to keep checking of any good offers coming through.

Cancelled today, so closes beginning Feb. Only take the TV package but still have the basic original box so can't even record stuff! £28 a month for that is steep! Sky Chat only offered 40% for 10 months (12 month term). Kept saying I didn't want a contract but he kept ignoring that!
    Thank you to everyone who posts comps! :A
    I would like to be lucky,healthy & happy in 2020! :T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport