PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tea Bags vs. Loose tea leaves

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Of course you can buy loose tea... dunno if it's cheaper but it does taste fresher
  • Ruby_Pudding
    Options
    I always buy loose tea - I prefer the taste to bags.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    I love loose tea, and buy it from Tesco - they currently have 11 types on their website. DH also brings it back from India and China when he's abroad.

No idea if it's cheaper, sorry.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • shopndrop
    shopndrop Posts: 3,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My son tasted tea made from leaves for the first time last summer and has gone from someone who used teabags in the mug to making it in a teapot using loose leaf tea. He says it tastes much better. Again not sure if it is any cheaper as teabags are often on offer in the supermarket but I never see loose leaf tea on offer.
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    Options
    I always buy loose tea, usually Yorkshire tea but if I can't get that then PG loose.
  • ScoobieGirl
    Options
    Last time I checked loose tea was a lot more expensive per cup. I think it's a volume thing - so few people choose it these days, plus you can only get it in small packets here whereas you can get big packs of teabags in the same brand.
  • powershopper
    Options
    Not only does loose tea taste better, if you use a water filter, your tea will be all sparkling clear , much less brown gunk left in the tea-pot, and that awfull scum you get in hard water areas goes as well......
    cheers
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    Options
    yes, I have to confess I am a tea snob too!

I really do feel the flavour of loose tea is better. The tea leaves in bags always looks quite powdery.

It also means you can mix and match your tea to suit you - for example a bit of earl grey and a bit of ordinary or jasmine. Also you can use as much or as little as you want, whereas a tea bag is a set amount., but apart from that I don't know if it's cheaper in any way.
    weaving through the chaos...
  • noonesperfect
    Options
    My late Mum wouldn't drink anything else!

Yorkshire, Co-op, Sainsburys and Ringtons are 4 I can think of off the top of my head.
    Definitely not cheaper would be somewhere like Bettys or Whittards, but they do loose tea as well.

All round I doubt it's cheaper, but taste infinitely better.
    :wave:
  • webtalk
    webtalk Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    You can get it most places, and there are some speciality shops.

Doubt it is cheaper than bags. They use the 'sweepings' for teabags - essentially the close-to-dust-without-dissolving-bits.

Loose leaves are also easier for composting - one doesn't have to tear each individual bag open to remove the tea.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback