Locking it away until she is 24

Comments

• aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 14 May 2018 at 4:40PM
    You won't see it often, but I agree with ValiantSon. Once the daughter is 18 and the money is in an account in her name, no one can tell her what to do with it. Advise, yes. Guide, yes. Help, yes. Control, no.

That money is hers now and in her name solely. Her parents nor Aunt can tell her what to do with it. Once you give away money, it's no longer yours, hence you can say what should be done with it.

And in this day, she will need that £10k before she's 24.
  • Radiantsoul
    Radiantsoul Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Might be easier not to mention to your sister what your daughter does with the money.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 14 May 2018 at 5:54PM
    FB13 wrote: »

If the money was given by the aunt to the father outright and the father wanted it back, the father would need to rebut the presumption of advancement by presenting evidence that he didn't intend to make a gift to the daughter but instead intended to retain an interest in the property

That loan argument is a non starter from the beginning.

In the absence of any documentation dated before the money was plopped into the account, you are right of course that the lawyers for the daughter (or for HMRC if relevant) will just say it's presumed to be a gift when the money was given by him to his daughter's account, and he doesn't have anything to prove it isn't. That's how it works and he would lose in court if challenged on it

While you're correct, my view is simply that he's not getting challenged in court by the daughter (and I've already made comment that he may need to correct a tax position) and so really he is just looking for a reason to take the money out of the account to save elsewhere to be able to give her later.

His excuse is that he only put it in the account by mistake because he didn't realise the implications (an error on his part) or that he put it there for safekeeping so his daughter would get the interest while he worked out what to do with it (loaning it to her). As he didn't do any paperwork he knows neither of those 'reasons' will actually pass muster when lawyers get involved.

But, this is a matter between the family rather than going up against the full extent of the law, which only gets involved if someone feels sufficiently wronged to complain.

Like when his daughter passes her driving test but drives him home at 32 mph in a 30 zone and opens the car door into his garage wall, he won't try to sue her or try to bring a private prosecution against her for dangerous driving. When he takes back the cash that he'd temporarily dumped into her account, with the intention to return it later, she won't sue him to get at it. She will probably think she's quite lucky to have a generous father or aunt who is going to give her some money to spend in her early twenties, and it's certainly better to be patient and a bit annoyed (which she might not even be) rather than sever the ties of familial support by saying she doesn't want those kind of parents.

It's a rocky road to say whatever happens in family stays in family because you see some truly horrific cases of abuse that might start somewhere more harmless on the spectrum. Still, I think the dad is justified in reversing his error - his daughter will make mistakes in her lifetime she'll want forgiving for, too -and nothing serious will come of it.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 14 May 2018 at 8:08PM
    This thread has been fascinating to watch unfold. Obviously this is a thorny subject and it seems there is a real gap in the market for a children's investment vehicle that doesn't grant access at 18.

To stick my oar in, I think the original intention is moot and we have to judge the situation on the reality as it stands. Or could I claim that the money was REALLY intended for me, and the fact that it ended up in OP's control is an "administrative error"? In that case, my account number and sort code are ******* **-**-**, cheers!

Is it out of the question to sit the daughter down and say "When you were little your auntie gave you some money on the understanding it would be yours to spend when you're 24. Now, according to the law the control of this money transfers from me to you when you turn 18, so we need to talk about what would be the best way to keep the money safe and earning interest until it's ready to use. You could go against your aunt's wishes and spend it before then but I hope you understand that this is a lot of money and that you should take her wishes seriously. Here, let's read about ISAs..."?
    : )
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    In that case, my account number and sort code are ******* **-**-**, cheers!

I hope you realised by now that MSE forum software has some rudimentary anti fraud protection built in. So if you post your account number, sort code, bank passwords or tax ID, it automatically replaces the digits in the post that you see with *s for everyone else to see. Pretty neat.

Unfortunately it works both ways so if you replace the details with *s yourself as you have just done, it displays the *s on your view of the forum, but then all the rest of us onlookers can see your real details!

You had better be quick and edit your post to flick the "*"s back to real numbers so that to us, they are blanked out.

This technology is hard to keep up with - you have to keep on your toes these days.
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Anyone else thinking why 24?
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Obviously this is a thorny subject and it seems there is a real gap in the market for a children's investment vehicle that doesn't grant access at 18.

Put the money in pensions?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Anyone else thinking why 24?

My thoughts exactly- seems rather arbitrary
  • ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Funny thing is that my father's will - of which I am executor -stipulated age 24 for both of his granddaughters (my nieces) to receive their inheritance.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,043 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Is there any reason not to place the monies in to a 5 year fixed deal prior to 18. Money still belongs to the child but is not accessible until 22. Problem deferred for a while.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family