PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting: will agents take us on?

Hi guys

My husband and I have been travelling, in and out of the country for the last couple of years. He is a musician, so we've been living hand to mouth. We are now looking to rent somewhere & get jobs, but I'm not sure if letting agents will take us on.
We will initially apply for hb & jsa until we find jobs, so hiding from the no DSS rule is one problem. Even though we have money coming in, none of it's banked, so there's no proof of income. Another problem is that we haven't rented in so long, we don't have any landlord references we can use. However, we have some money in our accounts, so we can provide proof (and pay if needed) the first couple of months rent upfront, and my mum can act as a guarantor if needed.

So, is this enough? How do we hide the fact we will initially be on HB, but have no other income?

Thanks!
Roo

Comments

• anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You can't hide the facts. You will need to look for a L who is willing to take people on benefits. Probably more likely to find privately than via a letting agent.
  • Actually, I just realised that at the point of renting we won't be on HB yet, as won't be able to claim til we have an address.
    Will that make a difference, or is it just employed vs unemployed?
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    roopoo337 wrote: »
    Actually, I just realised that at the point of renting we won't be on HB yet, as won't be able to claim til we have an address.
    Will that make a difference, or is it just employed vs unemployed?

It is both, but it doesn't matter how you try to dress it up you will fail referencing (at you own expense) through most agents who tend to use third party referencing companies.

You will do better to find a private landlord willing to accept the facts as they stand.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    anselld wrote: »
    You will do better to find a private landlord willing to accept the facts as they stand.

Never having rented, how do you find a private LL?

Small ads in the local paper or are there online sources?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Never having rented, how do you find a private LL?

Small ads in the local paper or are there online sources?

Gumtree, facebook, lots of sorting wheat from chaff
  • Gumtree, facebook, lots of sorting wheat from chaff
    Looking in the windows of local newsagents, Post Offices, convenience stores and supermarket small ad boards always used to work for me, although I haven't done it in a long time.

It has the advantage that the property will be in the vicinity of the advert.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    roopoo337 wrote: »
    Hi guys

My husband and I have been travelling, in and out of the country for the last couple of years. He is a musician, so we've been living hand to mouth. We are now looking to rent somewhere & get jobs, but I'm not sure if letting agents will take us on.
    We will initially apply for hb & jsa until we find jobs, so hiding from the no DSS rule is one problem. Even though we have money coming in, none of it's banked, so there's no proof of income. Another problem is that we haven't rented in so long, we don't have any landlord references we can use. However, we have some money in our accounts, so we can provide proof (and pay if needed) the first couple of months rent upfront, and my mum can act as a guarantor if needed.

So, is this enough? How do we hide the fact we will initially be on HB, but have no other income?

Thanks!
    Roo

When did you return to the UK?

You need to be habitually resident to claim JSA/HB so do google the rules about this. May not apply of course.

The other thing is you say you have 'money coming in'. depending on what this is you may not be eligible for any benefits.
  • Some cities will have areas with a lot of cheap rented accommodation. For example, student areas, areas with large Victorian terraced houses that have become multiple occupation because they are too big for owner occupiers. You might have to share with others to start out with unfortunately.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Your local Council Housing department is likely to have a list of benefit friendly landlords.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2018 at 11:44AM
    Is there no way you can't find some sort of job? I assume you are living with parents. That is the biggest help you can give yourselves.Your mum can be a guarantor but I am sure you can appreciate that won't help if you have no income as you don't seem to right now.

No you can't hide the fact that you are on benefits. You will always be asked for proof of income. A couple of months of rent up front isn't enough. There are some areas who are used to people on benefits but obviously these won't be 'good' areas but may be what you will have to accept. It might also be worth looking at renting a room to start with to build up a record of paying rent.

It depends on how long you have been out of the country but even getting benefits can be difficult after a couple of years of not being resident, it might be worth going to a citizens advice to ask about this.

But I think getting a job is the first step really. If you managed to travel and keep yourself going, surely you can manage to get a mundane job. Music can be something you do in your free time surely? Sorry to be a philistine but one has to be practical if one wants to get a life going. I know when I was younger I did anything I could get to keep money coming in, and that was in times that were considered depressed and I didn't have a CV worth mentioning. I just trawled the streets for any job I could find, be it bar work, cleaning or waitressing. I once packed dressings into bags lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure