IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Do i have to pay?

I parked in a disabled bay UKPC private land retail park outside a store that had no children bays or any other available bays. I was with a child and there was no possible alternatives. I was later issued a ticket. Is there anything i can do to appeal this?
I have read online that the laws for disabled on-road parking are not enforceable off-road private parking.
If i wanted to appeal this how would i go about this?

Also for general knowledge, down to new laws, if you get a ticket on private land?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 13 April 2018 at 5:16PM
    Everyone is politely asked to read up on this in the Newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum before starting a new thread

Go there now to learn about the game you are now caught up in

All advice on how to proceed is there.

No-one here will condone you parking in a disabled spot - especially when you tell us there was no other spaces to park!

You might be disabled yourself one day - remember your selfish parking if it happens to you in the future!

You need more mileage to appeal this than a misunderstanding of the blue badge rules!
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    the EA2010 covers those disabled parking spaces and they are under a legal obligation to keep them clear for those who they deem are allowed to park there, typically they deem it to be BB holders and nobody else, but anyone with protected characteristics is covered

if this driver did not qualify under the EA2010 and has no BB, they should not have parked there - period !!

so on the assumption that this driver has no valid legal reason to park in a disabled space, they cannot appeal it on that basis

but the KEEPER can appeal it on various legal grounds, which are detailed in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread near the top of this forum , so please read it

as for the original question in the header, you only have to pay it if a judge says so, in the county court

POFA2012 may protect the keeper , if UKPC failed it
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 April 2018 at 5:21PM
    Do i have to pay?
    No. But don't ignore it unless this is in Scotland.
    If i wanted to appeal this how would i go about this?

Also for general knowledge, down to new laws, if you get a ticket on private land?
    Did you miss the FAQS sticky, near the top of the forum?

See my signature (BELOW) 2 clicks back. Welcome to the forum, but please read the forum first!

How do people not read the NEWBIES thread before posting?

What happened, how come you started a new thread blind?

Honestly, the regulars are trying to avoid this sort of thing - we cannot have endless threads like this asking the basic stuff the sticky thread covers (appeal) so how does this happen?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    No. But don't ignore it unless this is in Scotland.

Did you miss the FAQS sticky, near the top of the forum? See my sigature, it's 2 clicks back.

How do people not read the NEWBIES thread before posting?

What happened, how come you started a new thread blind?

Honestly, the regulars are trying to avoid this sort of thing - we cannot have endless threads like this asking the basic stuff the sticky thread covers (appeal) so how does this happen?

Coupon-Mad - one additional point for your NEWBIES thread. You should add a sentence saying "In order to get help from the regulars on here, please quote the following in your opening thread "NEWBIES CODE nnnn" and change nnnn every few weeks.

Regulars then won't waste their time dealing with people who can't / won't help themselves.
  • riann
    riann Posts: 2 Newbie
    I have read the newbies FAQ's and nothing i can see relates to what i am asking? Also the thread you are saying to open are not links.

if you are saying don't ignore it, if i am appealing what grounds am i appealing it on?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    riann wrote: »
    I have read the newbies FAQ's and nothing i can see relates to what i am asking? Also the thread you are saying to open are not links.

if you are saying don't ignore it, if i am appealing what grounds am i appealing it on?

You don't need to ask anything yet.

The newbies FAQ thread explains all about the game and what to do, and answers your question on how to go about sppeals
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    the template letter is what you are initially appealing it on , its that simple

then when they reject and give you a popla code, post #3 of that same thread tells you the legal grounds you will be using to appeal to popla , same as its done for thousands of other members and their family and friends

it is certainly NOT going to be appealed on "what happened on the day" which is why you wont find anything "specific" about it
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    riann wrote: »

Did you read this in the NEWBIES thread:
    Q - ''I have read the NEWBIES thread but cannot find anything specific to my case...my case is different''.

A - NO IT ISN'T. YOU DO NOT NEED SPECIFICS. FORGET THE DETAIL, MOST CASES ARE ALL THE SAME.

Did you see the blue template appeal a bit further down that post?

Just send that template appeal. It really is that simple.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure