Travel Insurance HELP Needed

Hi all

I need some advise pleas , i took out an insurance policy on the 31st March (defacto 5 star rated policy). At the time of taking out the policy we was aware that my wife was in early pregnancy - however there was no option to add this as a medical condition.

Since then we have had a series of unforeseen circumstances happen to us as follows:

1). After an appointment with the Dr my wife was advised not to travel to Sri Lanka given her pregnancy saying it is too high risk given the dengue virus (he has written a letter to that effect).

2) My wife over the weekend has since had complications with her pregnancy this weekend and it would appear that she has miscarried (however given how early in pregnancy can not be 100% certain yet),

3). Also over the weekend I lost my grandma due to cancer. Although we were aware of her cancer she was due to undergo the next batch of treatment this week - therefore it was never advised/stated that her life would end so suddenly - we genuinely thought she would have many years left.

4). We are awaiting confirmation tomorrow however it would appear that my grandmas funeral is going to be whilst we are away (about 4 days in to the trip) - obvioulsy i can not miss it.

Therefore based on the above - do you think that we have grounds to make a claim - if so which grounds is likely to be an accepted claim.

Many thansk

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hope Wife is OK. I would say your Grans death is covered.
  • Many thanks for your kind words - the thought of also losing holiday that we have saved for is also adding to the pain.

I have read that some insurers try to say that is was a pre existing medical condition and thus try to get out of it on that basis.

Many thanks for your help with this
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Many thanks for your kind words - the thought of also losing holiday that we have saved for is also adding to the pain.

I have read that some insurers try to say that is was a pre existing medical condition and thus try to get out of it on that basis.

Many thanks for your help with this

You're correct as in it was "Pre existing" but from what you say it wasn't imminent, I'd speak to them and try both reasons. Other than that I can't really suggest anything.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,090 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Look closely at your policy - I think close relative is limited to parents and wife/husband and children but does not extend to your grandma.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Would your wife,s miscarrige not be reason enough for the insurance company to pay out,even if she is passed ok to fly you can always claim that the holiday was cancelled due to her understandable emmotional state,hope things improve for you both.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • koalakoala
    koalakoala Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    A lot of policies DO cover grandparents, but of course I am sure they would have had to know she had cancer
  • Ive checked the policy and it looks like grandparents is covered:

Close relative
    - means mother, father, sister, brother, wife, husband, civil partner, daughter, son, grandparent, grandchild, parent-inlaw,
    son-in-law, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, step parent, step child, step sister, step brother, foster
    child, legal guardian, domestic partner or fianc!/fianc!e.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure