IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

NPM & ZZPS PCN for parking in my allocated parking spot.

Hello,

My mum received a PCN from NPM on 09/01/2018 for her car which I have been using since July 2017 and has always been parked in the my allocated parking spot since July 2017. The PCN was in relation to NOT DISPLAYING A VALID PARKING PERMIT on 02/01/2018 as the permit show on the car was the one which expired on 31/12/2017. I was unable to display the 2018 permit as I was away for 10 days and only returned late on 01/01/2018 and had to leave for work early on 02/01/2018 as i travel from Northampton to London for work and had to catch an early train. It was while at work that I had to call my wife to help replace the 2017 permits with the 2018 one. Unluckily for me i was to late as the NPM parking attendant took his/her pictures at 8:28am.

I have tried to appeal to NPM without stating the driver's name but the apeal was rejected and after a NTK was sent to my Mum stating she provides the name of the driver or she would be liable for the PCN, I decided to wite to NPM stating I was the driver as i did not want my mum dealing with all those letters due to her health issues. In my reply to NPM, I also stated that seeing has the name of the driver has been given to NPM, all future corespondences should be with the driver and any other letters to my Mum will be classified as harrassment. I have not recieve any PCN in my name as the driver since my email to NPM only for me to come over to my Mum's house for the easter weekend and a letter was delivered with her name on it and addressing her as a MR from ZZPS saying they have taken over the account on behalf of NPM and my mum has to pay £160.

Is there anything i can do now as NPM as clearly ignored my letter stating I was the driver and no future corresponse should go to my Mum as well as not send a PCN with my name and address on it.

Thanks for your anticipated assistance

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 April 2018 at 11:05AM
    Please confirm the name of the PPC as there are at least two with those initials.

Debt collectors can safely be ignored. Post 4 of the NEWBIES explains why.

What does your lease say about parking/parking permits? This will have primacy of contract over anything the scammers say.

Normally we advise not to reveal the driver's identity, but in "own space" cases it is often better to tell the scammers.

More information can be found here about residential parking cases should it ever get to court.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • I'd send the PPC an Arkell v Pressdram letter (google it). Perhaps not literally, but you get the point :)

The score is this:
    1. There is a scheme at the flats ostensibly to prevent non-residents parking;
    2. You are resident;
    3. The PPC know you are resident, since they issued a ticket to you at that address;
    4. The PPC can check that you are resident now if they wish to:
    5. The PPC wishes to charge you, notwithstanding that you are a resident and this is contrary to the aims of the scheme;
    6. The PPC wishes to charge you notwithstanding that it is foreseeable that residents may be away over the Christmas vacation and may not be able to affix a new permit.

Usual rules apply: Does your lease (a) entitle you to park a car and (b) require you to display a permit.

If there is no requirement to display a permit they may have no grounds to ticket at all, with the reserve argument that even if they did, the issue has arisen as a result of their failure - a decision to set the expiry period for permits over a national holiday. The permit is a methodology the PPC uses for their convenience they could easily just check registrations. The continued pursuit of the claim against you serves no legitimate purpose since at all times you as a resident would (presumably) have been entitled to park there.

If proceedings are issued
    There is a template for this, but it will have lots of stuff in it that isn't necessarily relevant to your case, so do feel free to delete sections from it when the time comes.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Fruitcake
    Or it could be Northwest Parking Management Limited, hence my question.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,022 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    Or it could be Northwest Parking Management Limited, hence my question.

Using my crystal ball I used this as a clue, but could be wrong:

"i travel from Northampton to London"
  • Fruitcake
    fisherjim wrote: »
    Using my crystal ball I used this as a clue, but could be wrong:

"i travel from Northampton to London"

Maybe so, but it wouldn't be the first time we have been given a bum steer regarding the name of a parking scammer.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My mum received a PCN from NPM
    Normans Pie Machine?

anyway the advice for 'own space' tickets is pretty standard, see here:
    Johnersh wrote: »
    I'd send the PPC an Arkell v Pressdram letter (google it). Perhaps not literally, but you get the point :)

The score is this:
    1. There is a scheme at the flats ostensibly to prevent non-residents parking;
    2. You are resident;
    3. The PPC know you are resident, since they issued a ticket to you at that address;
    4. The PPC can check that you are resident now if they wish to:
    5. The PPC wishes to charge you, notwithstanding that you are a resident and this is contrary to the aims of the scheme;
    6. The PPC wishes to charge you notwithstanding that it is foreseeable that residents may be away over the Christmas vacation and may not be able to affix a new permit.

Usual rules apply: Does your lease (a) entitle you to park a car and (b) require you to display a permit.

If there is no requirement to display a permit they may have no grounds to ticket at all, with the reserve argument that even if they did, the issue has arisen as a result of their failure - a decision to set the expiry period for permits over a national holiday. The permit is a methodology the PPC uses for their convenience they could easily just check registrations. The continued pursuit of the claim against you serves no legitimate purpose since at all times you as a resident would (presumably) have been entitled to park there.

If proceedings are issued
    There is a template for this, but it will have lots of stuff in it that isn't necessarily relevant to your case, so do feel free to delete sections from it when the time comes.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Normans Pie Machine?

Comedy gold

:rotfl:
  • Fruitcake wrote: »
    Please confirm the name of the PPC as there are at least two with those initials.

Debt collectors can safely be ignored. Post 4 of the NEWBIES explains why.

What does your lease say about parking/parking permits? This will have primacy of contract over anything the scammers say.

Normally we advise not to reveal the driver's identity, but in "own space" cases it is often better to tell the scammers.

More information can be found here about residential parking cases should it ever get to court.
    The PPC is National Parking Management.

My tenancy contract does not mention parking/parking permits
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family