Share certificates found

Options
My mother died a couple of years ago and since then my brother and I (joint benificaries in her will) have sorted out all the finances / sold her property and closed all her financial dealings etc.

Recently i was sorting through her final box of "stuff" and came across some Morrisons share certificates made out in her name.

We had no reason to suspect she had some shares and i guess any correspondance was never forwarded by the buyers of her property.

Are we (my brother & I) eligible for these shares and do we have to now cash them in or can we transfer them into our names? I guess this question should be addressed directly with Morrisons, but i would appreciate any advice from others in a similar position.

Many thanks as always.

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    bigfer wrote: »
    My mother died a couple of years ago and since then my brother and I (joint benificaries in her will) have sorted out all the finances / sold her property and closed all her financial dealings etc.

Recently i was sorting through her final box of "stuff" and came across some Morrisons share certificates made out in her name.

We had no reason to suspect she had some shares and i guess any correspondance was never forwarded by the buyers of her property.

Are we (my brother & I) eligible for these shares and do we have to now cash them in or can we transfer them into our names? I guess this question should be addressed directly with Morrisons, but i would appreciate any advice from others in a similar position.

Many thanks as always.
    You need to find out who the shares register for the company. They will tell you how too deal with them. Probably selling will be cheaper or easier. I assume you have probate as you sold the house.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If she still had the certificates, then they should still be registered to her .

https://www.morrisons-corporate.com/investor-centre/investors-team/

They can check, and see if the number of shares is still the same, or there has been any split and if they had lost touch with your mother there may be outstanding dividends to be paid.

They will need to see your grant of probate to transfer them into your names, or sell them.
  • bigfer
    bigfer Posts: 319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    many thanks. i shall investigate further.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure