Work Investigation Interview

Hi,

I have been suspended for 3 days from work due to my previous conviction? Can my employer legally do this after giving me a new job?

Also, I may need to attend an Investigation interview to establish the facts around my conviction.

Has anyone been down this road before? Can my employer or HR department contact the DBS/Police/Courts to get further information on the details and the police/court report on my conviction without my consent or could they ask me?

I think usually they check if a conviction is spent or unspent how serious it is and decide from there.

Comments

• dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Did your employer require that you disclosed your conviction at the time you were applying/interviewing for the job. If so did they make it clear that non disclosure would be a disciplinary offence? Do you work in a protected role where a DBS check is required by law?

Is your conviction spent or unspent?
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • whambam
    whambam Posts: 508 Forumite
    I did disclose my conviction when asked on the application form.

They do standard dbs checks not enhanced.

My conviction is unspent in Scotland, but spent in England. The company is an english based company in Scotland.

I need to know if employers can get the same info as myself like a subject access request full details of the court case, police interview dvd recording, police reports?
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2018 at 9:52AM
    This doesn!!!8217;t seem to make any sense. You correctly described the conviction before you started work, a DBS check confirms what you said, but you have now been suspended?

Why? Did someone make a mistake in allowing you to start with this conviction, have they changed their mind, or are you saying that you did not give all of the appropriate details?

Edited to add, I!!!8217;ve just read some of the OP!!!8217;s previous posts, and he seems to have an interesting take on the law. I suspect that the opening post and reality are not a close match.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    How come your conviction in unspent in one country but spent in another?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Ja7188 wrote: »

Presumably different rules in Scotland and England. Knock yourself out comparing the two to find what's different.

https://www.mygov.scot/convictions-higher-disclosures/

https://www.gov.uk/exoffenders-and-employment
  • Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    This seems really unusual. All I can think of is they've maybe found out that what what you did was much more serious than they realised. Are there newspaper articles online about it?
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    John-K wrote: »
    This doesn!!!8217;t seem to make any sense. You correctly described the conviction before you started work, a DBS check confirms what you said, but you have now been suspended?

Why? Did someone make a mistake in allowing you to start with this conviction, have they changed their mind, or are you saying that you did not give all of the appropriate details?

Edited to add, I!!!8217;ve just read some of the OP!!!8217;s previous posts, and he seems to have an interesting take on the law. I suspect that the opening post and reality are not a close match.

Indeed.

Plus, what is it the OP is worried about the employer finding if they did get the information he seems to be worried about.
  • whambam
    John-K wrote: »

There was a huge mistake/system error by the courts on my DBS certificate that has now been removed, however re-issuing a new certificate takes upto 21 days with DBS.
    Ja7188 wrote: »

In England and Wales the punishments/sentences are less in Scotland its harshers its been like that since 1974. Thing is the company is English company who are eligible to register for DBS checks not disclosure Scotland checks, so I could be okay according to DBS but not okay with Disclosure Scotland certificate?
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Indeed.

Plus, what is it the OP is worried about the employer finding if they did get the information he seems to be worried about.

My view is that if you haven't been convicted went to court or dealt with a similar situation then you will make the incorrect choice based on assumptions, paperwork, mistakes and hearsay its when you take it to a tribunal and make several appeals you win nowadays. People have other agendas other than doing the right thing.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    whambam wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been suspended for 3 days from work due to my previous conviction? Can my employer legally do this after giving me a new job?

Less than 2 years service then? If so then they can kick you out for almost any reason, the exceptions do not include having a (spent) conviction
  • whambam
    I was told the Rehab of offenders act 1974 may protect me.

Also, I was told there is always an appeals process if you are dismissed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure