Back, still in debt, probably depressed (Take 2)

Comments

• Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Well I had my appointment and I cried, the consultant had to tell me the best to worst. Yes I have a tumour, it could be a cyst or benign or not. He's referring me for tests. He said that the majority of these (it's on my thyroid) are benign. Feel a bit weird
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Uniscots97 wrote: »
    He said that the majority of these (it's on my thyroid) are benign. Feel a bit weird

And he is so right - the problem with the thyroid is that it controls so much of us & until it goes dodgy most of us have no idea it even exists. If it goes into overdrive then you are looking at weight loss, HR going so high it can cause angina. If it decides it is going to resign then you are looking at weight gain, depression (probably depressed !!!) & always feeling cold.

The really good news is that (& I am sure it is) if it is benign, even if they have to remove some then the worst outcome will be taking levothyroxine sodium for the rest of you life. Less side effects than just about any other medication available.

Time to start feeling really positive it isn't throat cancer.

• badmemory
    Sorry should have asked - how soon to your op?
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Pleased that you have some answers, best to know what you are dealing with. Someone whose diary I read from time to time, in her 30's had the op, medication is sorted, runs park runs, cycles, stressful job is absolutely fine and I believe you get free prescriptions for life for everything.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Uniscots97
    Thanks badmemory, theyve not ruled anything out at the moment until I have the tests. Just waiting to hear when they will be done.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Sugarcandy
    Sugarcandy Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I tried to PM you but your inbox is full. I've been through all this and I found the time leading up to the op so hard. Wishing you all the best xx
  • badmemory
    maddiemay wrote: »
    I believe you get free prescriptions for life for everything.

Yes you do - 29 yrs & counting. To be honest I have never really understood why they should all be free but I suppose it would have been difficult to set up a system which charged for some & not for others.

Hope you get those tests very soon!
  • Uniscots97
    Sugarcandy wrote: »
    I tried to PM you but your inbox is full. I've been through all this and I found the time leading up to the op so hard. Wishing you all the best xx

Mailbox emptied. Sorry
  • Uniscots97
    Just got the letter through for the re-arranged NHS appointment that they cancelled and it's not for another month. I'll phone on Monday and cancel the appointment.

I've added 60p to my total for bag savings.
  • I'm so sorry to hear your news - I'm not quite sure what to say. I'm sure that the others are right, that the cyst is benign and that everything will eventually be sorted out, but I also know that in your shoes, I would be worrying about if it wasn't.

Fingers crossed for you that the appointments will come through soon. Will the medical insurance cover the costs of the testing and the op as well? If not, do you have something in writing from the private consultant? One of my friends' brother had x-rays for his bad hip done privately, and took the xrays to the NHS consultant, and its actually brought the date of his hip replacement op forward.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure