PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    On our site, 100 sq m is a "full" plot & we're lucky enough to have 111 sq m! Quite diddy really, but enough for now.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2018 at 8:29AM
    Granny pop out of bed? LOL not heard that one but I like it!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Thinking of my gardening grandmothers, I shudder - that Could Not Be less appropriate.
    One gardened (as far as I could see), by supervising the gardener (I may well be doing her memory a massive injustice).

The other spent time every day writing letters, praying & gardening. (In not wholly equal proportions but some of each daily, regardless of the weather, was mandatory.) From the time on her knees, fighting the devil that was bindweed, I'm not wholly convinced her gardening was *that* different from her prayer, though I think the audible words might have been slightly different.

She's the granny I remember when trying to rescue young peas from bindweed & why I fiercely resist letting rip with a rotavator until I've done enough work with weed suppressant fabric & targeted chemicals. (Another 2 years or until someone looses all patience & overrides my caution, is my guess.)

Have a wonderful time with your extended queendom, GQ!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I've googled bindweed and I haven't seen that here. Not complaining though. My main moan is chickweed - was ok when I had chickens to eat it but now it's a pest.
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    “Historically allotment is traditionally measured in rods (perches or poles), an old measurement dating back to Anglo-Saxon times. 10 poles is the accepted size of an allotment, the equivalent of 250 square metres or about the size of a doubles tennis court.”

Which is exactly the size of ours :) Its huge. The council are splitting them now and you can only rent half of one, but established tenants can keep their full plots. We have 2 full plots and a half sized plot where we keep the bees. We’re down to 8 colonies is year and slowly winding down further. Our daughter has more or less taken over the second plot now as well. They supply all our soft fruit, veg, apples and honey. We used to keep chickens as well but aren’t able to manage them any more.

GQ - happy extra plotting:) We got our plots in 1978 and there were only 8 at that time being cultivated on an 90+ site. It will be our 40th anniversary this year and we’ve enjoyed every allotment year of it.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Arghhhhhh bindweed! Every tiny, tiny piece of root has the potential to become a forest
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    And the only three tools against it are flintheartedness, glyphosate and routine burning of every remaining particle.

That I know of. Whereas Himself yearns over a rotavator...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    my plot is comparatively diddy, only 10 x 100 feet and that includes the shed/composting/storage end. Actual workable width is 8 feet but I grow a vast amount of produce. It is a good size for me, half is divided into 8 x 4 raised beds. I have bindweed but am persistent in getting it out, couch grass is a real pain but I would not like marestail, the nasty that GQ has. Half is cost effective and easy fruit, some space given to flowers, roses, alstreomeria, hellibores, echinacea etc It gets me out and feeds me well. I plan it for every year, the fertilising, the rotations. I don`t have any growing house up there

This allotment is why I am working on getting the spring clean done, the allotment takes over soon, all that weeding, sowing seeds, fresh air etc :D
  • GreyQueen wrote: »
    :p Nah, what would I do with that amount of veggies?!

Sell them to a restaurant called The Runcible Spoon. :)
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    And the only three tools against it are flintheartedness, glyphosate and routine burning of every remaining particle.

That I know of. Whereas Himself yearns over a rotavator...
    Quite satisfying pulling the roots out though. Or maybe I'm strange, I love stripping wallpaper too, which has little to do with allotments well nothing at all really.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport