Advice on changing my first name legally

Options
I want to change my name but keep my middle name and last name. I don't mind my first name but I want to legally be known as the name I want to be identified as always.

I don't mind paying for a deed poll but I'm wondering about how do I make it legal and what are the consequences in the future.

What is the best way to inform the bank, doctors, etc, do I go to the various places and show the deed poll to the person at the main desk or just send one via post with a letter? How long do the different places roughly take to update someone's information?

Will there ever be any need to mention to anyone that I have changed my name in the future? For example, if I want to get a loan, buy a house, buy a new car, etc. If people ask my name do I ever need to mention my previous first name?

Thank you, James.

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]You can draft your own deed poll and have it witnessed for free and this will be valid to change your passport and driving licence but banks might require you to have a public record so you will need to enrol it via the court for £36.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Some official forms will require you to state whether you were previously known under another name but apart from that there should be no reason to mention it to anyone unless you want to.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Further info here:

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll[/FONT]
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you ever need to get a DBS check for child protection, eg as a youth leader, foster parent etc you!!!8217;ll need to disclose your previous name.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • James_PD.
    Options
    Hi Tom,

There is no requirement to enroll a deed poll, it is optional. The Deed Poll Office states: "It is neither a legal nor a practical requirement to enrol your deed poll."

Once I receive my deed poll(s), what is the best method to inform the bank, doctors, etc that I have changed my name?
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    James_PD. wrote: »
    Hi Tom,

There is no requirement to enroll a deed poll, it is optional. The Deed Poll Office states: "It is neither a legal nor a practical requirement to enrol your deed poll."

Once I receive my deed poll(s), what is the best method to inform the bank, doctors, etc that I have changed my name?

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A letter with a copy of your deed poll and requesting an acknowledgement that they have updated your records.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]There might be an official form for passport or driving licence etc.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]You are right you don't need to enrol the poll for it to be valid but you might find banks require you to do so, maybe check with them first.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What do you mean by 'receive' your deed poll? You can write it yourself for free there is no need to pay anyone for it and .gov gives you the exact template you need.[/FONT]
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your name is whatever you choose it to be, and in this case you are changing nothing - you are just choosing to not use a part of the name you were registered with.

No deed poll, or any other action, is necessary.
  • James_PD.
    James_PD. Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Tom99 wrote: »
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A letter with a copy of your deed poll and requesting an acknowledgement that they have updated your records.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]There might be an official form for passport or driving licence etc.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]You are right you don't need to enrol the poll for it to be valid but you might find banks require you to do so, maybe check with them first.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What do you mean by 'receive' your deed poll? You can write it yourself for free there is no need to pay anyone for it and .gov gives you the exact template you need.[/FONT]

There is no reason to enroll a deed poll, all companies and organisations accept a certified copy. Only a small minority of people enroll their deed poll. Although technically there is no reason to pay a company because you can legitimately create your own deed poll, if you decide to do that method it could possibly cause some complications because it is not regarded as a certified copy.
    TonyMMM wrote: »
    Your name is whatever you choose it to be, and in this case you are changing nothing - you are just choosing to not use a part of the name you were registered with.

No deed poll, or any other action, is necessary.

I want to make my current first name as my middle name and start using a different first name so I am going to have to get a deed poll.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's my understanding that you can call yourself whatever you like provided there's no intention to defraud.

In my case it was not wanting to use my married name. I just told my bank, doctor etc and they just accepted it. At my bank they put a note on file just in case anyone mistakenly wrote a cheque in my 'old' name.

Sounds to me as if you have a burning reason to put this name behind you/adopt the new one so if it would make you feel happier to have a legal document then I'd go for the deed poll.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    James_PD. wrote: »
    I want to make my current first name as my middle name and start using a different first name so I am going to have to get a deed poll.

is that not in contradiction to your OP which said:
    "I want to change my name but keep my middle name and last name."

<confused>
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • martinbuckley
    martinbuckley Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Make your passport one of the last things you change as they require you to provide evidence of name usage in your new name.
  • James_PD.
    Options
    After all of my older records have been updated, will there be any reason to mention that I have changed my name to future places that I will register with for whatever reason?

For example, I do not have my car license but I want to in the future, will I need to mention that I have changed my name?

Or is it just simply the case of updating only informing places that have my previous name and just using my new name in the future without any mention of my old name?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure