PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Options

Comments

• higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    Riggster wrote: »
    To achieve what exactly?

To achieve peace of mind if nothing else. My imagination is already running riot with all the possibilities so it can hardly be worse.

Also on the small chance of finding evidence of something illegal going on..... I suppose! Not what you want going on in your property but would be very convenient!
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    oh my god... this has gone from the tenants potentially having a dog and you being allergic, to you thinking they're doing something illegal? because they deigned to POTENTIALLY have a pet????
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    To achieve peace of mind if nothing else. My imagination is already running riot with all the possibilities so it can hardly be worse.

Also on the small chance of finding evidence of something illegal going on..... I suppose! Not what you want going on in your property but would be very convenient!
    Lets say there is something illegal - how does that help you? You still cant evict them....
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    Perhaps the landlord/lady is friends with the neighbours and would like it to stay that way - without the hassle of trying to "fall over backwards" to apologise/try and deal with barking dogs or crying babies?

I do think one should have the right to bar potential nuisance animals like dogs and babies and for that contract to stand up in a court, if the tenant willingly agrees to it and signs it. This is hardly 'gay cake' territory, by all means force the cake maker to write whatever amorous message you like on your cake in the name of equality but don't say you have the right to force him to sit next to your crying baby and howling wolfdog while he does it!
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    I do think one should have the right to bar potential nuisance animals like dogs and babies and for that contract to stand up in a court, if the tenant willingly agrees to it and signs it. This is hardly 'gay cake' territory, by all means force the cake maker to write whatever amorous message you like on your cake in the name of equality but don't say you have the right to force him to sit next to your crying baby and howling wolfdog while he does it!
    Then write to your MP...
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    oh my god... this has gone from the tenants potentially having a dog and you being allergic, to you thinking they're doing something illegal? because they deigned to POTENTIALLY have a pet????

No, this was put in my mind by individuals on here making suggestions about money laundering and drugs because of the tenants' high disposable income/some apparent fibs about employment, which I do not entirely believe is likely but has added to my worries. Also because I don't know if they have a connection to my very suspicious agent which is possible. I KNOW that they have a dog because the woman has admitted it to me, she just claims that it isn't legally their dog and that it is not there when I have directly conflicting evidence that it is. If they are so well protected by law I don't know why she just didn't tell me the truth, dishonesty does not bode well!
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Off topic but prostitution as in the selling of sexual services for money is not in illegal. It's the associated aspects such as soliciting in a personal c place which breaks the law.
    Would you need to get a permit from the council to run a brothel from home though? Would it affect your council tax banding, and would you need to pay for a trade waste service to remove....used delicates?
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Lets say there is something illegal - how does that help you? You still cant evict them....

Let's say they were running a brothel in there (I am deliberately exaggerating to make a point), it would be raided and shut down and the guilty parties prosecuted and taken into custody.
  • leslieknope
    Options
    lord above.... yes, lets threaten people with eviction from their home just because they got pregnant.
  • leslieknope
    Options
    Would you need to get a permit from the council to run a brothel from home though? Would it affect your council tax banding, and would you need to pay for a trade waste service to remove....used delicates?

you can reclaim some tax for any costs of washing a uniform... so i assume you could claim a rebate!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family