Micro Investing

Comments

• AndyT678
    AndyT678 Posts: 757 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 March 2017 at 9:11AM
    Anthorn wrote: »
    You know we adults do sometimes change our minds and do things we didn't expect to do mostly in the light of new information. That's illogical and distinct from the outlook of a typical child which is logical seen in a largely monochrome, uncompromising form.

But I'll be out of this thread and all other threads ...

It is a basic truth of human nature that we don't like to acknowledge that we are wrong. Our ego gets in the way of learning and we often desperately cling to false beliefs regardless of how much factual evidence is presented to the contrary.

We dismiss information that doesn't support the decision that we've already made and try to rationalise our irrational behaviour; it is only natural.

But there has to come a point when any sane, reasonable person starts to question their assumptions. When the entire world is telling you that you've got it wrong maybe, just maybe it's possible that it is in fact you who has misunderstood or not quite got it rather than everybody else being childish, pedantic idiots who don't know what they're talking about.

Just something to mull over during your hols.

Anyway what do I know, I'm probably just a spotty, 14 year old virgin :D
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March 2017 at 11:32PM
    AndyT678 wrote: »
    It is a basic truth of human nature that we don't like to acknowledge that we are wrong. Our ego gets in the way of learning and we often desperately cling to false beliefs regardless of how much factual evidence is presented to the contrary.

We dismiss information that doesn't support the decision that we've already made and try to rationalise our irrational behaviour; it is only natural.

But there has to come a point when any sane, reasonable person starts to question their assumptions. When the entire world is telling you that you've got it wrong maybe, just maybe it's possible that it is in fact you who has misunderstood or not quite got it rather than everybody else being childish, pedantic idiots who don't know what they're talking about.

Just something to mull over during your hols.

Anyway what do I know, I'm probably just a spotty, 14 year old virgin :D

What is there for me to be wrong about or assume? I use Moneybox, I find it useful and I give reasons why I find it useful. Oh ok I am assuming that we are still discussing the topic which is Micro investing. But I suspect not.

I'm not actually accusing anyone of anything. I just make the observation that posts in this thread are posted by children. There is however an alternative and that is that they are posted by immature adults.

Lastly I'm ignoring the information in your post simply because it is without qualification, pedantic and childish. If you want to debate let's see your proof! And why is being a virgin relevant? Actually, you should be proud of that.

ROFL
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Hey Andy,
    You might want to redact the part of Anthorn's post that you're quoting where he talks about the timing, location and duration of a forthcoming holiday having also posted what he claims to be his genuine facebook profile which is publicly viewable during one of his earlier rant. We wouldn't want to be held responsible for when he gets back to a burgled house after publicly advertising his absence and I see he has removed the post in question. Because he's smart, right :)
  • Anthorn
    edited 21 March 2017 at 12:17AM
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Hey Andy,
    You might want to redact the part of Anthorn's post that you're quoting where he talks about the timing, location and duration of a forthcoming holiday having also posted what he claims to be his genuine facebook profile which is publicly viewable during one of his earlier rant. We wouldn't want to be held responsible for when he gets back to a burgled house after publicly advertising his absence and I see he has removed the post in question. Because he's smart, right :)

I find it quite incredible that I have to keep posting time after time "Unqualified" and "Pendantic" and now to that I've added "childish". It's pretty much below the belt to criticise me because I posted my posted my FB profile when you haven't provide your FB profile, Ok come on let's see it. Or are you hiding behind anonymity?

But, you know, if you were not pedantic you would realise that I feel safe posting that information. Otherwise I would not have posted it. My home is not left unoccupied but since you claim to know me I'll leave you to post the reason for my home not being left unoccupied ROFL I'll even be posting in my public FB status that I'm leaving for France.

Lastly post my home address. Come on I'm waiting for you to post it.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,580 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AndyT678 wrote: »
    Donald Trump would agree with you, even more so if you told him the spies were wire tapping him too.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • bowlhead99
    edited 21 March 2017 at 12:18PM
    Hey Andy,
    I find it quite incredible that I have to keep posting time after time "Unqualified" and "Pendantic" and now to that I've added "childish". It's pretty much below the belt to criticise me because I posted my posted my FB profile when you haven't provide your FB profile, Ok come on let's see it. Or are you hiding behind anonymity?

You genuinely can't see I AM TRYING TO HELP YOU ?

It's not 'below the belt' to suggest that personal information about someone in a block of quoted text should be removed or redacted especially when the post which is being quoted appears to have been removed (not sure if that removal was by you or a forum admin, but I assumed by you).

This is not me being childish, it is simply how things are suggested to work on most forums, with good reason - to protect people from having personal identifying information about them continue to be listed once they have deleted it themselves.
    But, you know, if you were not pedantic you would realise that I feel safe posting that information.
    You have posted a link to the encyclopedia page for 'pedantic' twice. So presumably you know what it means. I can't see how it makes sense to use it in this context. Why would a person having a pedantic or non-pedantic nature have any bearing on them knowing whether you feel safe posting the information?

You posted your travel dates and the fact you would not be contactable due to being out of the country; and then the post was removed. I assumed it was because you regretted posting the information. However, now you seem proud of publishing your travel plans and your personal info and are surprised we don't want to publish ours. So maybe you just don't care and think it makes you a better person for being so cavalier.
    My home is not left unoccupied but since you claim to know me I'll leave you to post the reason for my home not being left unoccupied ROFL I'll even be posting in my public FB status that I'm leaving for France.
    Lastly post my home address. Come on I'm waiting for you to post it.
    OK - having checked there's no explicit forum rule about posting other people's personal details if they request you to do that, even though it would be bad form and highly inappropriate to do it unsolicited: your home is not considered 'unoccupied' as it's part of a sheltered housing block.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • Anthorn
    edited 21 March 2017 at 12:19PM
    The debate about Micro Investing several posts ago when you and others abandoned the debate and embarked on personal attacks.

What you also don't see is that you are now breaking the law on harassment and there is now clear evidence of that. btw I saved your last post and printed it. Here's a link which you might find interesting:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32379961/cyber-stalking-when-looking-at-other-people-online-becomes-a-problem
    You might also look up the Protection From Harassment Act.

It's very sad that a simple discussion of Micro investing should have arrived at this quite obscene level of harassment.

You advise against the posting of personal information and then you go against your own advice and post my personal information. It's debateable that I actually gave my permission for you to post it. What I see is a challenge and not permission. Are you now going to attempt to debate that or are you going to do the right thing and stop the harassment before it's too late?

btw I have not removed any of my posts. None at all
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Sheltered accommodation? That explains it.
    Bowl head, I would leave the chap in piece, people have all types of issues. Have a good day :)
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • bowlhead99
    What you also don't see is that you are now breaking the law on harassment and there is now clear evidence of that. btw I saved your last post and printed it.

It's very sad that a simple discussion of Micro investing should have arrived at this quite obscene level of harassment.

The post that you saved, being one in which

- I reiterated the reason that I had suggested your personal information about your travel plans be removed from someone's quote (to avoid your lack of concern for your privacy creating real-life issues - advice which is a feature of "stay safe online" campaigns)

- pointed out that it would be inappropriate to share others' details when not solicited by that person,

- replied to your specific demand that I post your address by posting only its postcode, rather than the greater level of accuracy that you were encouraging in your request "Lastly, post my home address, I'm waiting".

The latter was taken from a cursory glance at the Facebook profile which you invited us to take a look at. The profile contains a post from you yesterday saying hello to one of the MSE usernames after you'd invited us to view the profile, so presumably you are happy to engage with forum members through that medium, after you provided the relevant link for us.

I contend that if you felt harassed and did not want people on this thread to pass comment on the wiseness (or otherwise) of your online behaviour or your financial product choices, you would not be posting that people have low intelligence, nothing of value to contribute, and are spouting 'verbal diarrhea' (the latter being an accusation made by you five times over this thread and its predecessor linked earlier).

Certainly if you are not looking for any discussion of personal life on a broad discussion forum it would be strange to invite everyone to share their real names, Facebook profiles, share your own and then goad someone into stating your address. I suggest you stop that irrational behaviour. From the book recommendations you made earlier in this thread I can see you are clearly a learned man, you just need to get some online behavioural smarts.
  • Anthorn
    edited 21 March 2017 at 9:12AM
    (BIG CUT)

It doesn't matter what you think, what I think or what anyone else thinks. What matters is that there is very clear documentary evidence of harassment which you are still continuing even though I advised you to stop it. I also expect that Facebook would have something to say about someone claiming to have obtained a personal home address from a "cursory glance" at a public profile.

Stop this harassment which I find distressing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure