PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?

Options

Comments

• ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So much stress, anxiety and misery from people failing miserably to achieve a successful sale on this thread... and all of it self inflicted because they're too greedy, stubborn and deluded to accept that their houses aren't worth as much as they'd like to think they're worth.

2.4 years on the market! Hilarious.

I don't have much time to type the full reply this deserves so here is the quick version

House is not over priced. We still have home reports so a professional surveyor did the valuation. My 5 bedroom house with double garage is on the market now for the same money that a 4 bedroom one with no garage 100 metres away sold for 3 years ago (that took over 3 years to sell by the way)

I can't simply drop the price because I am in an unusual situation. I am part way through building a new smaller house. If I drop the price much I could be in the silly situation that I sell the 5 bedrom house for less than the cost of building the new 3 bedroom one. Cost of building materials and labour is not going to go down in response to being "too expensive" Prices here are already low due to lack of demand in certain sectors of the market to the point if you bought some land and build a house you really would be doing very well to sell it just to cover your costs.
  • Cinders:
    Cinders: Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all, hope you've all had a fantastic weekend.

Chrissie - Good luck with getting some viewings this week, and hopefully that viewer from last week comes back for a second look.

ProDave - I wouldn't bother trying to justify your situation to the sad and lonely troll that commented on your house sale, his opinion counts for less than nothing. He sounds bitter and twisted, and probably best left to moan away to himself!

I had a phone call from the EA this morning to say that there's a viewing on her property this afternoon. I'm hoping it stays sunny as the views are beautiful from my mum's house, and will be a great selling point.
    SPC # 115 :p
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »
    I don't have much time to type the full reply this deserves so here is the quick version

House is not over priced. We still have home reports so a professional surveyor did the valuation. My 5 bedroom house with double garage is on the market now for the same money that a 4 bedroom one with no garage 100 metres away sold for 3 years ago (that took over 3 years to sell by the way)

I can't simply drop the price because I am in an unusual situation. I am part way through building a new smaller house. If I drop the price much I could be in the silly situation that I sell the 5 bedrom house for less than the cost of building the new 3 bedroom one. Cost of building materials and labour is not going to go down in response to being "too expensive" Prices here are already low due to lack of demand in certain sectors of the market to the point if you bought some land and build a house you really would be doing very well to sell it just to cover your costs.

Your individual situation doesn`t affect the overall market much though, the price is decided by what people are willing to pay (or what the bank will let them borrow to pay) Surely no sale would be worse than a price drop?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm in your club now too. House went on the market a week ago with an open day this coming Saturday.

Only a couple of people booked in so far - was hoping for a queue LOL.

Fingers crossed.

Good luck everyone else!

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Prodave most people on here know to ignore iantojones and Crashytime as they type utter nonsense and are very bitter towards the house market increasing. Put them on your ignore list then you don't need to read their tripe.
  • Cinders:
    Options
    Hazyjo, any more potential buyers booked up for your open day yet? I know what you mean about expecting a queue of people lining up for the house - I expected that for my mum's house as it's absolutely stunning!
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Cinders: wrote: »
    Hazyjo, any more potential buyers booked up for your open day yet? I know what you mean about expecting a queue of people lining up for the house - I expected that for my mum's house as it's absolutely stunning!
    Not yet. We are prob priced a tad high, but only so we can drop a few grand. You can't put the price back up(!) so I would rather price on the high side of realistic lol.

Not heard anything yet and am prob driving the EA mad already. Did suggest he put something on the corner of the listing in the window saying 'open day - 18 March' but he said they only have 'sold inserts' and said 'But it is on Rightmove, Zoopla and our own website in capital letters advertising the open day.'

Hmm. I think they should add new inserts for open days but hey ho.

I swear I could do a far better job than most of the local agents. Bloody useless most of 'em.

I feel like I'm hosting a party and am scared nobody will turn up LOL.

Plus the EA has suggested we go out - so we won't even get to nose at the viewers!

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Cinders:
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »

Plus the EA has suggested we go out - so we won't even get to nose at the viewers!
    Jx

That's a shame to not get to nose at the viewers. I love 'people watching', and seeing all the different characters that come to view our house.

Had a phone call a little while ago saying that the viewing on my mum's house yesterday went really well, but that the person is going on holiday for a week from today. He wants the EA to keep him informed of other viewings etc, ......no offer as of yet though:wall:
  • LoopyLoops
    LoopyLoops Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    Have chased the agent today, after having to listening through all his sales talk :doh: I asked how many hits we are getting on Rightmove and if a good number why they aren't coming to view. He tried to tell me (again) that open plan isn't for everyone. Yes, I agree, but 2 others in the same street have come on and sold since we have been on the market. They where slightly cheaper as no off road parking, but not by a lot. We know ours needs work doing, but so did the others that have sold. EA reckons that the lower end is selling and the half million are selling, but not so much in our price range. Anyway will wait to see what our figures are on Rightmove. So frustrating. Sorry think I just needed a bit of a rant..... :o
  • LoopyLoops
    LoopyLoops Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »

Not heard anything yet and am prob driving the EA mad already. Did suggest he put something on the corner of the listing in the window saying 'open day - 18 March' but he said they only have 'sold inserts' and said 'But it is on Rightmove, Zoopla and our own website in capital letters advertising the open day.'

Jx

Hope you get lots of viewings for the open day, at least one that puts in an offer. I remember waiting for ours, it was awful. Our agents do the open house and ask the owner to go out and leave them to it.

Cinders fingers crossed the one the really likes it decides to offer soon if they are that interested.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback