currys refund on my TV after 30 days - what are my rights?

2»

Comments

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The sound produced from a TV, particularly the more expensive models is generally pretty poor. The manufacturers often make the assumption you'll use a soundbar or a home cinema system for the sound and just use the TV for viewing. Basically I'm telling you not to expect great sound quality from a TV regardless of price, unless it's one of the rare models that is designed to produce a better sound. I'd actually go as far as to suggest I'd expect the sound quality to be poor.

You need to decide if it's just you being disappointed with the sound quality or if there is an actual fault. If it's just your perception you have no rights at all. Even if it's faulty you have no rights to a refund, they are able to attempt a repair.
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As the TV's have shrunk in thickness, it directly affects the audio.

With less space to work with, the speakers get even smaller and harder to produce a wide soundstage.

Thankfully, there are a myriad of different options to increase the sound quality, from a Sound Bar or Home Theatre Kit, to a set of Pc speakers, most TV's will have HDMI ARC, Optical and a 3.5mm output for audio. Almost any option is better than the built in speaker.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 March 2017 at 4:56PM
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I use a digital optical cable from my TV into my Denon micro hifi system to get additional sound from my freestanding speakers.
    While we don't have a problem with the speakers in our Panasonic TV we have the same setup with a Teac receiver/amplifier and separate speakers when we watch any programs when we want better sound quality.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    cajef wrote: »
    While we don't have a problem with the speakers in our Panasonic TV we have the same setup with a Teac receiver/amplifier and separate speakers when we watch any programs when we want better sound quality.

My TV is also a Panasonic and I now use the hifi for better sound all the time, I could live with the TV only sound if I had to to but for the sake of pressing 1 (or 2 at most) buttons on a remote control it makes no sense to put up with worse sound.
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 March 2017 at 11:03AM
    Doesn't sound like a fault to me. The sound from modern TVs is extremely poor (offensive even) and it seems to get worse the more you pay. If you like the other aspects of the TV there's probably no point in changing it because another model won't be any better.

It's worth getting a sound bar or a small amp and speakers to improve the sound. I've got a little Teac Ai-101da amp hooked up to some bookshelf speakers - sounds great and much better than any sound bar I've heard.
  • doverswot
    doverswot Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    agrinnall wrote: »
    My TV is also a Panasonic and I now use the hifi for better sound all the time, I could live with the TV only sound if I had to to but for the sake of pressing 1 (or 2 at most) buttons on a remote control it makes no sense to put up with worse sound.

and if you want a cost effective way to have a single remote to control your TV and volume on your soundbar / amp with no extra button pushes, I'd recommend one of these, which I bought 6 months ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003NSIE40/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    doverswot wrote: »
    and if you want a cost effective way to have a single remote to control your TV and volume on your soundbar / amp with no extra button pushes, I'd recommend one of these, which I bought 6 months ago.

The newer version of that can be got cheaper in Sainsbury's
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    shaggy wrote: »
    It's very difficult to test sound for something like this in store when you have 20 other TVs blasting out at you in all directions.
    TV showrooms don't have the sound turned up on multiple TVs at the same time. It would be like Bedlam! :)

As most everyone else advises, this is not a fault. It's a rather deliberate design "flaw" in order to make the TV as flat as possible. If you find the sound to be inadequate, I can only suggest you invest in a separate sound system.

Curry's are very unlikely to agree a refund based on what you have said here.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    doverswot wrote: »

Most of the TV remotes control the sound bar volume these days, we have both LG downstairs and an LG tv with Samsung sound bar upstairs and we just use the TV remotes for them both without needing to buy any others.
  • SouthUKMan
    SouthUKMan Posts: 383 Forumite
    Looks like I'm a bit late to the party but I am a bit of a TV tech fanatic. As others have said, the sound produced by most modern TVs - even quite expensive ones - is actually pretty grotty. Long gone are the days of hearing rich base, clear treble and overall gorgeously rich sounds that you got with most decent brand tube TVs back in the 80s / 90s - or indeed the earlier / chunkier LCD sets that still had a bit of room inside for decent speaker technology. Sadly as TVs have become thinner and the picture quality improved - in the main, the sounds they produce have become much, much weaker. There are quite a few TVs out there that cost in the mid to high hundreds that certainly look the part in terms of design and image quality, but quite frankly sound like they belong in the bargain basement.

I really do think your best bet is to go back to the shop - or another shop selling the same model as yours - and ask for a demonstration of the sound. Don't be embarrassed to ask this! If you think the sound quality is superior to what you're experiencing at home, then you know you have a case. In which case, if the TV is faulty - the retailer has to either replace it or repair it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure