IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Appeal response requesting copy of permit

So I got a parking ticket on a hired van whilst moving home a few weeks ago. The van was parked on a side road by an estate. The parking on the estate and on the side road is managed by UKPC. When I checked the photos the parking attendant took of the van, they failed to demonstrate there were any parking restrictions in place (photo's showed the van parked, and then a separate photo showed the UKPC restriction notice, but there was nothing linking the two things) so I contested on the grounds the restrictions weren't visible enough and there was no evidence I had contravened them. I also contested that the address on the ticket was wrong as they had written the wrong street and postcode. Here is where I think I might have made a mistake ... I wrote the name of the street I was parked on, which does still have parking restrictions. UKPC have now come back to me asking for a copy of my valid parking permit. Do I need to provide this as I've implicated myself in being parked in a restricted area (even though that's not the area the ticket relates to)?

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Looks like you made the big mistake of taking UKPC seriously and basing your appeal on fact - which cuts little or no ice with them.

Signage can be an issue but you need to be careful to follow the approaches outlined in the Newbies Sticky at the top of this forum. It lays-out your remaining options.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 16 February 2017 at 9:23PM
    UKPC have now come back to me asking for a copy of my valid parking permit. Do I need to provide this as I've implicated myself in being parked in a restricted area (even though that's not the area the ticket relates to)?
    Ignore that letter, it is a standard fishing exercise. Sit tight and you will get your POPLA code.

I think your bigger mistake was (maybe?) saying who was driving...
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Thanks for the replies!
    Luckily at no point have I said who was driving the van. I've simply stated the van was not parked where they said it was so I think I'm ok from that side of things.

As for the POPLA code, they've said that'll be sent in the next two weeks but I feel a bit confused about the next stage as it's a hire van so I don't understand from the Newbies thread how it works in this case?
  • did you ring them when you spotted the ticket on the van , or have they been onto the DVLA , got your info , contacted the van company who have written back with your name then UKPC wrote to you?
  • The only correspondence I've had from UKPC is in response to my first appeal letter. I don't know if they've been on to the DVLA and when I spoke to the hire company again this morning they didn't seem to know anything about the ticket.
    I've told the hire company today I don't want them paying anything (in writing!) so hopefully that angle is covered.
  • Coupon-mad
    sazzabex wrote: »
    The only correspondence I've had from UKPC is in response to my first appeal letter. I don't know if they've been on to the DVLA and when I spoke to the hire company again this morning they didn't seem to know anything about the ticket.
    I've told the hire company today I don't want them paying anything (in writing!) so hopefully that angle is covered.

Good - you have played a blinder so far.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do you/did you live , or was the driver servicing a property near/next to where it was parked?
    Its highly likely that the resident had the right to park there for loading, this is probably in the lease agreement.

for more see johnson vs homeguard.
    As ever check your lease
    There could alos be a data protection act issue at play here, who/what is the management company that took on the parking company?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    sazzabex wrote: »
    The only correspondence I've had from UKPC is in response to my first appeal letter. I don't know if they've been on to the DVLA and when I spoke to the hire company again this morning they didn't seem to know anything about the ticket.

Hopefully then you will get the NTK rather than the hire company. If so, you appeal as keeper as per the template appeal points in post 3 of the NEWBIES.

Even if it is sent to the hire company, hopefully they will forward it to you without charging you for the privilege. Complain to them if they do as I doubt private parking tickets will be mentioned in the hire terms, only fines and penalties, of which this is neither.
    If you get the NTK forwarded from the hire company then you appeal as hirer in accordance with the NEWBIES.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    The Hire firm WILL be posted a NTK if UKPC remember - because when they do, they apply to the DVLA - so you need to be sure they will just pass that to you without charge, if one arrives. Do not tip UKPC off about this...
  • Just wanted to say thanks for all the help on this. Almost 6 months after the ticket was issued, got my appeal response from POPLA and I've been successful on the grounds that no NTK was issued �� Absolutely delighted and wouldn't have known anything about that without the help of these forums so thanks again everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure