PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How long after the searches are back....

Mary83
Mary83 Posts: 16 Forumite
edited 7 October 2016 at 12:52PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi

We have just been told that the latest our searches will come back is 31st October. How long after then are we likely to complete and then exchange ( I know it is impossible to be exact, but just hoping for some sort of time scale)

Many thanks

Comments

• mattk_180
    mattk_180 Posts: 375 Forumite
    You exchange first and then complete.

Could be days, could be weeks, could be months. People can tell you their timescales but almost none of them will be the same for you.

How good are your solicitors? How good are theirs? How big is the chain? How motivated is the vendor to get the place sold?

All depends on how quickly the paperwork is turned around and how many queries need to be dealt with.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Probobly between a week and 6 months.

Without knowing what else needs doing, and what issues might arise along the way, it's impossible to be more exact than that.
  • Mary83
    Mary83 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Thank you.

We are first time buyers and the house we a buying is not involved in a chain. I would think they want a quick sale as the property was an inheritance.
  • Phirefly
    Phirefly Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    It honestly is impossible to say. The house we're selling took 30 days from offer accepted to completion when we bought it. I thought it was reasonable to assume it ought to be relatively straightforward this time now we're selling it.

Ohhhhhh no. No no no. Our buyers searches came up with several issues on the environmental report which hadn't been evident when we bought it. And if they had, we'd have dismissed them, they really weren't that big a deal in context. But our inexperienced buyer has freaked out and panicked and commissioned a whole load of additional reports and surveys. Its taken ages. So even as a FTB, you might find your inexperience buying will be the thing that holds you up, conversely...
  • G_M
    Mary83 wrote: »
    Thank you.

We are first time buyers and the house we a buying is not involved in a chain. I would think they want a quick sale as the property was an inheritance.
    We're currently selling an inheritance property. Not bothered about 'quick sale' - in fact my sister wants to slow it down so she can move in for 3 weeks while her own new kitchen is fitted......
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,982 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Has probate been granted?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Levs01
    Levs01 Posts: 224 Forumite
    G_M wrote: »
    We're currently selling an inheritance property. Not bothered about 'quick sale' - in fact my sister wants to slow it down so she can move in for 3 weeks while her own new kitchen is fitted......

You're not my Vendor are you? :rotfl:

We're all ready to go but the sister in our purchase is now dragging her feet to the end of the month. :mad:
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I looked at my last three purchases, which all went fairly smoothly;
    -Estate Agent's Memo of sale; 4 Nov,
    -Solicitor's report to me on title (including searches and lease as it was a leasehold) 11 Jan,
    -Completion 2 Feb;
    so just under 2 months Offer to Completion

the next one - also a leasehold was about 2-3 weeks longer
    -Estate Agent's Memo of sale; 3 June,
    -Searches in by late June
    -Solicitor's report to me on title (also incl the report on the lease) late July,
    -Completion 2 Feb;
    So about 13-14 weeks overall.

The last one was almost 3 months, despite being a freehold which should be simpler as no lease was involved
    - -Estate Agent's Memo of sale; 3 June,
    - Searches in very fast - most by 9 June with the Local authority one in by 22 June
    But completion not til 1st Sept ( due to a bit of legal messing about and negotation with an overseas owner)

But my solicitor's really fast and deals by email- which is why I have all these dates saved!
  • G_M
    Levs01 wrote: »
    You're not my Vendor are you? :rotfl:

We're all ready to go but the sister in our purchase is now dragging her feet to the end of the month. :mad:
    Might be!

But no - we've not mentioned my sister's hope things will drag out.

Haven't needed to as it's the buyers who are taking the time (switching mortgage company; switching solicitor....!!)

I was just making the point that you can't assume a probate vendor will necessarily be in a hurry.
  • Levs01
    Levs01 Posts: 224 Forumite
    G_M wrote: »
    Might be!

But no - we've not mentioned my sister's hope things will drag out.

Haven't needed to as it's the buyers who are taking the time (switching mortgage company; switching solicitor....!!)

I was just making the point that you can't assume a probate vendor will necessarily be in a hurry.

No, you're definitely not my Vendor, but yes, our purchase is probate and despite them originally saying they would move as quickly as we wanted they are now turning round and saying no completion before the end of the month so you're spot on. Probate does not mean they will move any quicker, even if they say they will to start with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure