Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Comments

• LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 September 2016 at 1:54PM
    The majors (Calor, Flogas and Avantigas with just under 90% of the 'market') and most of the independents - from the largest (Countrywide) to the smallest - do NOT post prices on-line. But a few independents do:

29 .... Birmingham Autogas
    30.3.. Lister ANSI Tracker
    35..... Cardiff Gas
    37..... Carvers
    39.73..Extra Fuel

..and two other trackers:
    22.05.. Woldlink
    28....... Lima Gas (Lima is now owned by J Gas, based in Scotland, which does not have a tracker).

Yes, it's all the same stuff they sell! There are only a handful of refineries producing LPG in the UK. And suppliers (even the majors) often fill their tankers at each other's depots.

Several of these suppliers also have fixed price deals and anyway the prices quoted will have different attached conditions (minimum volume p.a., different tank rental charge, cheaper price if you own your own tank, etc). Woldlink, an agricultural purchasing co-operative, uses Flogas - and operates nationally - but this tracker deal is probably closed to new subscribers. When Woldlink was selling LPG at 20ppl it was making 6ppl - so Flogas was charging it around 14ppl. Extra Fuel is Manchester-based but, beyond its own delivery area, uses Flogas and other suppliers. Otherwise all the companies have a regional distribution area: see the links.

For prices and the latest deals from the secretive suppliers please see the forum posts - and please keep the info coming! Remember that if a supplier refuses to go any lower on initial price it may extend the time for the fixed price, lower the "guaranteed" increase, do a deal on tank rental, offer "free gas", charge your last delivery at the new lower price, etc, etc. Just make sure everything is in your contract (with no get-out of jail clauses for the supplier - e.g. "if wholesale prices increase beyond..."). They (probably!) want to keep your custom - and their volumes up - AND they can afford to be "nice to you as a valued customer / potential customer" because so many are paying over the odds. If you go with an independent (recommended: to get some competition into the 'market', and for good human service) HateLPG recommends you add a clause that if your supplier is taken over the contract is immediately void. DCC's stated policy for LPG is to grow by acquisition - DCC owns Flogas. If your supplier wants a no-disclosure clause blow a raspberry!...and let the forum know. Flogas is keen on ND clauses when it pays out compensation for gross overcharging (see earlier posts - the sums are in hundreds .... Calor paid HateLPG almost a thousand for overcharging).

Finally, if you can join up with neighbours (as some forum users have done) you'll get a better deal: tankers and their drivers are expensive to run!
  • Just wanted to say, used countrywide for the last few years and tey have been superb. Back earlier in this forum I was posting about the hell of flogas -- when we were finally able to switch never looked back.

Would recommend countrywide.

(not being paid/no discounts/incentives etc - in fact just moving house and will be back on the mains gas supply)
  • Hi squelch41,
    Please quantify why you think Countrywide have been superb.
    What is your current deal with Countrywide?
  • Hi,
    just got a new deal 28ppl for year 1, capped 4 p increase yr 2, £15 pq rental. Was previously paying 42ppl. I told the company i wouldn't share their name but they were mentioned on this thread very recently.

I use ca 4,000 L pa.

This price also include provision of a new underground tank which was critical for us, I have to pay for the earthworks.

Just a short note for anyone new to LPG. We bought a house with an above ground LPG tank and discovered that this didn't meet the latest standards e.g. it had a flammable fence close and hedging within X metres. This meant that we couldn't change suppliers and it was difficult to negotiate a better deal. Moving to an underground tank will get rid of the issues, I estimate it will cost us under £500 (we have access to a digger so the cost is reduced) but we will save £700 in year 1. A no brainer for a bit of work and great long term investment.

R
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    richbeth wrote: »
    This price also include provision of a new underground tank which was critical for us, I have to pay for the earthworks.

Just a short note for anyone new to LPG. We bought a house with an above ground LPG tank and discovered that this didn't meet the latest standards e.g. it had a flammable fence close and hedging within X metres. This meant that we couldn't change suppliers and it was difficult to negotiate a better deal. Moving to an underground tank will get rid of the issues, I estimate it will cost us under £500 (we have access to a digger so the cost is reduced) but we will save £700 in year 1.
    Depending on your site, an underground tank isn't the only option - a new overground would be much cheaper to install. We were in the same position as you - the tank was hidden behind an outbuilding, under a tree. Minidigger hire for half a day and a cubic metre of concrete sorted the base and trench for our new tank, then the rest was done by the gas supplier we were moving to.
  • tp023
    tp023 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Anyone else just got a letter from calor saying they are increasing the price by 3ppl due to brexit and the dollar exchange rate? I only renewed in April 16.
  • I recently got a letter from Countrywide increasing the price by 4ppl, no mention of Brexit, just blaming the increased wholesale price.

They also increased the rental price, without notifying me in advance. I told them to go and run in relation to that, if they can't be bothered to drop me an email with a variation to the contract then I'll just pay what my contract says, regardless of the amount on the quarterly invoice.
    'I think that God, in creating Man, somewhat overestimated his ability'..Oscar Wilde
  • Just Joined the Forum. A huge thank you to all the posters who have opened my eyes to LPG pricing. After a few calls to various suppliers, I have stayed with Flogas who reduced their initial price offer to 29ppl, no more than 3.5p rise in year 2, £100 tank rental and £250 credit to my account. At an estimated 4000L over 2 years, taking £250 off the gas prices give an equivalent of 22.75ppl. :j

Location is rural near Perth.
  • suziemoon
    suziemoon Posts: 84 Forumite
    tp023 Calor
    Anyone else just got a letter from calor saying they are increasing the price by 3ppl due to brexit and the dollar exchange rate? I only renewed in April 16.

Yes we got this too and are now looking at alternative suppliers.
  • tp023
    tp023 Posts: 33 Forumite
    In April I negotiated 30ppl. This will take it to 33ppl. Can they do this in the first year? I thought they could only increase in the 2nd year?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback