Tumble Dryers Fire Risk - Hotpoint / Indesit / Creda

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    FlyerZoe wrote: »
    Just to add:-

In GOOD NEWS... During my call with 'P' I threatened legal action and asked for a copy / transcript of the call for my solicitor, 'P' agreed to send this out to me informing me all calls were recorded...

Just over hour later, I've had a call again from Indesit Customer Services, referring to my letter (but not the earlier phone call!), and offering me a NEW VENTED TUMBLE DRYER! I should be contacted in a few days to arrange delivery!

Perseverance is the key! Clearly the mention of legal action and wanting a copy of the telephone call for my solicitor pushed them in the right direction!

politeness and honesty and no threats got me the same solution
  • FlyerZoe
    FlyerZoe Posts: 20 Forumite
    politeness and honesty and no threats got me the same solution

I tried that with the first two letters I wrote... It didn't get me anywhere. And I am not one to bombard and annoy them on Social Media!
  • Mealyn
    Mealyn Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I too registered when first made aware of the problem way back in November. Today I had an email offering April for when an engineer can visit, or the offer of a new machine for £99.0. Well my machine is over 8 years old and never had a problem with it. Because of its age, and two drying programmes only, (high heat or low heat) I think getting a new machine for £99 is not a bad deal. Have scoured currys argos etc and cannot see this machine offered for sale so i reckon it has been built for replacement. Even the cheapest machine ion the market is on the £200 mark and looking at the specs seems a decent enough machine for £99.00. Would like to hear from those people who have accepted a replacement what their opinion of it is. Would be helpful to those of us who are still pondering.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OH prefers the old 2 dry programme, better looking Indesit to the more complex less attractive Whirlpool. I'm still on the fence.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Mealyn... I opted to buy the £99 drier, mine was 11 years old and really needing replaced anyway,
    Took delivery yesterday and I'm very happy with it, loads of settings, very large drum, has a fluff "pocket" to collect the fluff which is so much better than what I had as next to no fluff makes it past this to the condenser unit, and it dries the washing in half the time of my old one...
    So far I'm more than satisfied with the delivery (called day before with reminder, on the morning with afternoon slot and then driver called with a two hour window for delivery) and very happy with the drier..
  • My dryer was only bought in September 2015. It is one of the affected ones so anyone know how Hotpoint deal with what is essentially a new machine. I wouldn't want to pay £99 for a replacement.
  • blackdan
    blackdan Posts: 5 Forumite
    We have a Ariston Tumble dryer, I reported the problem last October, not heard anything. Have now phoned 3 times and told somebody would contacted us. We purchased ours in Bulgaria and it seems nobody wants to know. Two weeks ago when I last called them they said the manager would check and see if it could be fixed over there, once again no phone calls.
    Titch :)
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    FlyerZoe wrote: »
    Just to add:-

In GOOD NEWS... During my call with 'P' I threatened legal action and asked for a copy / transcript of the call for my solicitor, 'P' agreed to send this out to me informing me all calls were recorded...

Just over hour later, I've had a call again from Indesit Customer Services, referring to my letter (but not the earlier phone call!), and offering me a NEW VENTED TUMBLE DRYER! I should be contacted in a few days to arrange delivery!

Perseverance is the key! Clearly the mention of legal action and wanting a copy of the telephone call for my solicitor pushed them in the right direction!

This is complete rubbish. Write a friendly and polite letter, pop it in the post and you'll get the same result - at least 5 people have mentioned doing this between the various threads scattered about MSE and all have achieved the desired result.

Why did you "refuse" the modification?

I'd be interested to know exactly what legal action you threatened them with? and what exactly 'your solicitor' would possibly do with a recorded telephone conversation (doubtful that you even have a personal solicitor on standby!).

Far too many people approach this situation entirely the wrong way - letter in the post does the trick, no legal threats, no rubbish.
    My dryer was only bought in September 2015. It is one of the affected ones so anyone know how Hotpoint deal with what is essentially a new machine. I wouldn't want to pay £99 for a replacement.

Knocking on 6 months old isn't "essentially a new machine" in my eyes. But as it's less than a year old the word on the grapevine is that you'd be able to get a free replacement machine.

Have you contacted Hotpoint to ask?
  • How do you get the offer of a cheap replacement?

Our tumble dryer is from 2012, I'd be happy to go for a cheap replacement.

I've just got a confirmation email, acknowledging registration, but there's no offer of a replacement, just a statement that they'll be in touch within 10 weeks ..

Thanks
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    postmanc wrote: »
    How do you get the offer of a cheap replacement?

Our tumble dryer is from 2012, I'd be happy to go for a cheap replacement.

I've just got a confirmation email, acknowledging registration, but there's no offer of a replacement, just a statement that they'll be in touch within 10 weeks ..

Thanks

I think it's part of the 2nd email (after the 10 weeks) which gives a link to a replacement machine and an estimated repair month.

Although, if you just send them a letter now stating you'd like to be offered a replacement machine they'll probably sort it out for you now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure