Buying currency here, or exchanging GBP abroad?

Hi all!

Quick one. I'm going to Krakow in a couple of days and I've done a terrible job of being organised.

I'll be using a Starling Card as it's fee free. But in terms of actual cash, am I better off...
  1. Withdrawing cash from a Polish ATM?
  2. Converting GBP for Polish Zloty here in the UK?
  3. Taking GBP with me and converting it into Zloty in Krakow?

In regards to the last one, I've read that Kantors in the city offer good rates.

What's everyone thinking in terms of the best and easiest option? Thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Having a Starling card, no need to consider anything other than using it to withdraw zloty from an ATM at the MasterCard rate. Reject any offer by the ATM to convert your pounds.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • kamalious
    kamalious Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Should I always go for the option to pay/withdraw in GBP then? Always taken currency with me normally, never needed to use a card abroad!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    kamalious wrote: »
    Should I always go for the option to pay/withdraw in GBP then?
    No no, the opposite. If you let the payment terminal or ATM charge your card in pounds, the merchant or bank will convert at their own lousy exchange rate. Always select the local currency so that your card does the conversion from pounds. If the ATM shows an amount in pounds with an exchange rate, reject it by selecting 'Without Conversion' (or similar).

You can forget about the extra cost and hassle of exchanging cash, that's for mugs.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • kamalious
    kamalious Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ohhhhh! Got you, that makes much more sense. I'll stick to using my Starling card then. Thanks so much for your help! :beer:
  • I'll stick to using my Starling card then.

The sage advice here is always to have a backup card in case of any dramas.

The Barclay Platinum Travel Card or Halifax Clarity are "user friendly" credit cards.

As advised above, only if used "without conversion" at the ATM.
  • TRY to get a Tandem Card. Free foreign exchange fees and gives you 0.5% cashback on all spending.

Their website has crashed so maybe go for a creation Card , equal to Halifax Clarity but lower Interest charges when withdrawing ATM cash.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    I'm going to Krakow in a couple of days

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills