Too much available credit?

Options
I am now in a position where i have 3 credit cards with limits of £8K, £9K & £12K and a zero balance on all of them. 2 of the cards give me cashback and the other has a low rate balance transfer option.
What i am trying to work out is if having all this available credit actually harms my credit score and if i should close one of the accounts.
My income is around £50K and the only debt i have is a PCP on a £56K car

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You don't have a credit score. Just credit history.

The card limits are unlikely to cause you much of an issue, although it depends if you are looking for further credit. The PCP could be more of an issue.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Paying my bills on time harmed my "score"

Shows how useless it is.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Penelopa.Pitstop
    Options
    Just keep the cards in case you ever need them. If you put some balance on them, then your debt to available credit will be low. I keep number of empty cars with high limits and don't see a problem with it.
  • grannyada
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies, i guess my worry is that having them will affect my ability to get a card with a better deal when one comes around
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    grannyada wrote: »
    I am now in a position where i have 3 credit cards with limits of £8K, £9K & £12K and a zero balance on all of them. 2 of the cards give me cashback and the other has a low rate balance transfer option.
    What i am trying to work out is if having all this available credit actually harms my credit score and if i should close one of the accounts.
    My income is around £50K and the only debt i have is a PCP on a £56K car

Swings and roundabouts: Your credit utilisation is very low and that's good. But if your available credit is equal to or more than your annual income this could flag you as a risk. But then again why would you need more credit when you already have credit available which is unused. Then again, you might want for example a 0% car loan which is refused because you already have credit which equals or is greater than your annual income.

Get my drift?

My golden rule is that if I have available credit which I don't need I close it with the exception of a bank overdraft facility. Then if I need credit in the future I apply for new credit.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies, i guess my worry is that having them will affect my ability to get a card with a better deal when one comes around

I'm not very good at closing cards. I've had over my salary in available credit for many years and at times I've been up to twice my salary. I've never had a problem getting additional cards.
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Swings and roundabouts: Your credit utilisation is very low and that's good. But if your available credit is equal to or more than your annual income this could flag you as a risk. But then again why would you need more credit when you already have credit available which is unused. Then again, you might want for example a 0% car loan which is refused because you already have credit which equals or is greater than your annual income.

Get my drift?

My golden rule is that if I have available credit which I don't need I close it with the exception of a bank overdraft facility. Then if I need credit in the future I apply for new credit.

But wouldn't closing accounts with available credit as not used,then put you in using majority of available credit ?
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    Options

I wouldnt worry about that as you have 3 cards, all with good limits that you are not using - why would you need another card with a better deal?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure