Ready for retirement

Comments

• Thank you for your thoughts. I am thinking a bit more cautious now.

(1) To defer at least 1 FS pension ( its worth 6K in 2021 )
    Maybe? (also) defer second FS pensions ( worth 6K in 2021 )
    (Leaving the int free alone in these).

(2) Using the int free 25% from the PP only.

(3) Using the 25% int free (just enough) to pay off the int-free credit cards. And thereby reducing that debt.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you for your thoughts. I am thinking a bit more cautious now.

(1) To defer at least 1 FS pension ( its worth 6K in 2021 )
    Maybe? (also) defer second FS pensions ( worth 6K in 2021 )
    (Leaving the int free alone in these).

(2) Using the int free 25% from the PP only.

(3) Using the 25% int free (just enough) to pay off the int-free credit cards. And thereby reducing that debt.

Hi Stephen0002002,

I think the cautionary advice about leaving the FS as a floor of safe income and the PP to i) reduce debt and ii) live on for 3 years until FS kicks in is a good plan.

We are not as close to final retirement as you but our plans are to draw FS pension and use PP to bridge gap until SP starts so maintaining income levels at a steady rate. We are just starting to build the PP aggressively at the moment.

I would check the following- i) SP forecasts and can you use any of the 25% TFLS from the PP to pay any missing contributions to ensure you both maximise your SP when it starts? ii) Can you pour any/ as much as possible into a PP for your wife? If she has any earnings then upto her earnings limit if none then the £2880 pa into a SIPP to get the £720 pa money from HMCR, this could be a cash SIPP, draw as needed?

My view (and Mrs CRV) is that all/ any little pots all add to the mix of income/ cash available and if not needed there and then it can be left until it is needed.

Depending on your plans for the 30k pa income balancing it so you pay the lowest possible income tax may need looking at- if most of the pension income is yours you will pay more tax, we too will have this imbalance which we are trying to address through building Mrs CRV pension up- drawdown up to her personal allowance when we start taking it, accept that my FS pension will be taxed regardless but take the lowest amount we need from my SIPP when we start taking it.

We intend putting the TFLS into ISAs, some as a cash reserve some invested for growth.

You may find ways to cut living costs for instance travel- last minute deals although not as numerous as they were are still there if you want some holidays and feel you can be flexible- we're testing this out later this month- going down travel agents and asking where can we go in the next 3 days for a week in the sun? When retired we'll look for deals on holiday cottages etc and go as and when we want. For DIY products I go to B&Q take my pensioner mother and buy things on a Tuesday when she gets her pensioner discount even if the project doesn't get started until a later date! Yes at 79 my mother still throws paving slabs about altering her garden and climb ladders to lop tree branches off, so you do need to plan a floor of reasonable income because you don't know the end date!

Just my thoughts, hope they help.

CRV
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • stephen0002002
    stephen0002002 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 March 2018 at 4:09PM
    Thank you for those thoughts.

Currently looking to defer the FS pensions (2) which now seems a good basis for safety net. (thanks folks) These are index linked = useful.

Using the PP when I retire up to our SP's in 3-4 years time. I'm unsure if its an idea to use the PP int-free part as our income on its own for the first year ?

The int free credit cards still have 12-months to run with int-free time so I may keep them for now.

I feel our retirement budget is high tbh (32K ?).
    But we like to travel (breaks) and it is the first year of retirement.
    So we don't want to get dreary :-)

I do feel it will be important to monitor outgoings now more closely.
    We've never really had to do this before.
    Which is probably a reason the excess used to be swapped to the credit cards. Something to guard against in future.

Thank you for the ideas on tax for my wife. I'm not sure we can cut anything in for her pension wise as I only have 2-3 months to go at work. And so not sure if it would still be worthwhile starting a pension for her now.

Many thanks to you, this has been really useful for us..
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,213 Forumite
    Thank you for the ideas on tax for my wife. I'm not sure we can cut anything in for her pension wise as I only have 2-3 months to go at work. And so not sure if it would still be worthwhile starting a pension for her now.
    So that could be one contribution now for 2017-18 and one for 2018-19
    Both with 20% tax paid back in. Not much, but could be left to grow with small additions over time, or used as an extra boost to defer her SP for 6 months or so to get an increased payment (or top up any missed years later on).
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

Many thanks to you, this has been really useful for us..

Depends. How often do you casually toss £720 a year away? She could open a SIPP now before April 6 and get the first installment in. If your wife has an income now, she could get more than that.
  • jerrysimon
    jerrysimon Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Hung up my suit!
    edited 14 March 2018 at 11:19AM
    Based on great advice here, I did that in the last 18 months before I retired setting her up with a SIPP through H&L (she was earning about 8K then) and earnt about 2.5K on her small income. It took minutes to set up and do a bank transfer. Although she now only earns 3K I still did another £2880 contribution this year and will be looking forward to earning another £720 tax back for her.

A no brainer really!
  • stephen0002002
    edited 14 March 2018 at 1:05PM
    SIPP for wife. (She is retired 62).
    Well folks that's interesting, thank you, I will take a look at that.
    How is that set up and how would we claim the tax back or is it automatic ?
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,213 Forumite
    If you use Hargreaves Lansdown you can do it quickly online as jerrysimon says and they would reclaim basic rate tax automatically.
  • A point to consider is that for my OH's FS scheme if it is not in payment at the point of death no spousal benefit is payable, the benefit is simply a return on premiums. We had no idea this was the case until the IFA we engaged pointed it out.
  • stephen0002002
    edited 17 March 2018 at 10:49AM
    Thank you for your help.

My wife (62) is retired (no income) and it has been suggested we put £2880 into a sipp for her. Can we do that for the next few years or is there a cut off point ?

And when it comes to taking her sipp pension (drawdown?) can I ask what personal allowance would she have ? Would she have her own allowance like mine (£11,500).

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport