NatWest Advantage Gold: option to reclaim?

Hi there. Am new to this (fab!) site and this is my first post so please excuse my ignorance...
I had a NatWest Advantage Gold account for quite a while but the trouble is I don’t remember the dates and I have no related paperwork or statements anymore. It would have been in the early 2000’s for at least 4-5yrs.
I never used or claimed any of the ‘benefits’.
Don’t recall being told about them.
Definitely wasn’t given specific info about monthly fees at point of sale.
Think i was encouraged to get it because of my overdraft use.
My question is, do I have any scope to query/complain to NatWest?
Many thanks for reading!

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Definitely wasn!!!8217;t given specific info about monthly fees at point of sale.

So, why didnt you complain when you first started paying the fees?
    My question is, do I have any scope to query/complain to NatWest?

We cant answer that as we dont know your audit trail. Natwest have been able to successfully timebar many complaints on the basis of annual benefits statements sent out. However, they also uphold some complaints too. So, you just need to complain and see what happens.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thank you for your reply, very helpful.

To answer your question, my honest answer is that at the time of having this account I was an unsavvy young adult. I probably wasn!!!8217;t even aware I was paying charges! Which I understand is a crap excuse and unlikely to get me anywhere...

But should I write anyway asking them to review it? Or is it best to state my complaint straight off? Really wish I!!!8217;d kept my old statements and paperwork!
  • Seasider77 wrote: »
    But should I write anyway asking them to review it? Or is it best to state my complaint straight off?
    You are the one making a complaint, so what would you ask them to "review"?

Just write stating your reasons why you think you should be refunded. Do remember that the complaint handler will have heard the "young and naive" chestnut hundreds of times.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    To answer your question, my honest answer is that at the time of having this account I was an unsavvy young adult. I probably wasn!!!8217;t even aware I was paying charges! Which I understand is a crap excuse and unlikely to get me anywhere...

My response was partly devils advocate. However, it is one that I have seen a few FOS responses recently where the complaint was weak and seemed to be reaching for reasons to complain.
    But should I write anyway asking them to review it? Or is it best to state my complaint straight off?

There is no option to review it. its complaint or nothing.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Well...
    I wrote a letter outlining the reasons I felt I had been mis-sold.
    Today I had £184 credited to my account as !!!8216;compensation!!!8217; from NatWest - so a result!
    I am waiting for the letter outlining how they reached that conclusion and arrived at that amount.
    Thank you for your responses :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport