Children in part time work and part time education

I’m currently paying CM through a mutual agreement. I paid csa for 16 years without fail. My kids are 17 & 19 both part time at college and both doing part time work. I’ve suggested to the ex that I should reduce the payments as they are both working part time but she has threatened to go back to the csa to reinsert the claim. Can she do this or is it just an idle threat. I think I pay my fair share but all I see is her boasting about holidays she’s been on weekends away etc while I struggle to make ends meet. I think I should pay a lot less now that the kids are “grown up”

Comments

• If she is eligible for child benefit then you are still required to pay.
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You may think the college course is part time but just because they do not attend Mon-Fri for 6 hours a day doesn't mean that the course isn't classed as full time and therefore qualifies for CB and child maintenance
  • If you still lived together would you still be paying for them?
    Or would you be taking their part time wages off them to pay the bills.
    If you have an arrangement with the CSA you can phone them yourself and find out how much you should be paying. Unfortunately children don't stop costing money when they go to college.
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)
  • Part time work is not relevant, holidays are not relevant.

You need to find out whether these courses really are officially part time. Check with the college or ask the children to see the documentation.. If they are part time then your ex should not be claiming Child Benefit and you won't have to pay anymore.
    I think I should pay a lot less now that the kids are “grown up”

Doesn't work like that.
    she has threatened to go back to the csa to reinsert the claim. Can she do this or is it just an idle threat.

Yes but it's the CMS now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport