Blogging

Comments

• Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    Making money from blogging is all well and good, but I stop reading when bloggers sell themselves out. It's like blog prostitution, when they will literally put anything on their blog because they've been offered money to do so- regardless of whether it fits with their blog niche. I'd be embarrassed to do that and it will actually lose you genuine readers. Boy, they must be desperate for free stuff. I bet they end up flogging half of it on eBay because it's tat! My advice....don't sell out! Write your own blog posts because you're genuinely enthusiastic about what you're writing about- not because British Gas paid you to write about the importance of your elderly relatives keeping the heating on in the winter, when you're supposed to be writing about money-saving or food! I've seen that and much worse.

I have 2 successful blogs and write about subjects I'm genuinely interested in. HTH

I agree. I have just unsubbed from a big list of moneysaving/frugal blogs because they became more about providing an income for the blogger rather than helping the reader. The majority of posts were affiliate links, OTT 5-star reviews for freebie products and them trying to flog stuff. I do know a lot of people have turned away from reading lifestyle blogs because of the fact that so many of the reviews for free products are always 100% positive, even if they are products the blogger would never have touched with a barge pole before!

I do have a book blog, but don't expect to make any money from it. I do get some free books obviously. One thing I do like is that publishers don't seem to put any pressure on bloggers to write positive reviews.
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Hermia wrote: »
    I agree. I have just unsubbed from a big list of moneysaving/frugal blogs because they became more about providing an income for the blogger rather than helping the reader. The majority of posts were affiliate links, OTT 5-star reviews for freebie products and them trying to flog stuff. I do know a lot of people have turned away from reading lifestyle blogs because of the fact that so many of the reviews for free products are always 100% positive, even if they are products the blogger would never have touched with a barge pole before!

I do have a book blog, but don't expect to make any money from it. I do get some free books obviously. One thing I do like is that publishers don't seem to put any pressure on bloggers to write positive reviews.

The sad thing these days it that everyone terms success to equal money. Surely the whole point of a successful blog is the quality of the writing and engaging content. I pretty much only review products I have purchased myself on my blog, this guarantees that I am impartial and made an informed choice in purchasing them. I prefer to read informative and educational content written to a high standard and with humour (sometimes). Too many of these bloggers are fairly uneducated sorts who can't even use a spell checker to assist with their awful spelling and grammar. Let alone people who understand the principles of bias, validity and reliability. As if decent companies would want copy like that to help sell their products! I also agree, I don't think that any reputable company would insist on a positive review.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• I am curious

What platforms do you guys use? what do you blog about anything in particular?

But well done to those who do it, I don't think I could find the time.

I have Seen Katy's definitely worth a look.
  • I'm self-hosted and use Wordpress, I blog about anything and everything from making/saving money to being a parent. If I fancy writing about it then I will ;)
  • I would love to get into blogging. But it's finding a subject that I want to write about and would keep wanting to write about.
  • You can make a bit of money from blogging if you get a good reputation, as companies will pay you to review their products.
  • Which are the most preferable platform for blogging?
  • mimiduck
    mimiduck Posts: 194 Forumite
    I am trying to start a blog as well but it is going very slowly I'm afraid. I am keen to read other people blogs, especially someone who has started out as I would like to see how much material they have gotten etc. if anyone wants to share their site :)
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    edited 13 November 2016 at 11:57PM
    mimiduck wrote: »
    I am trying to start a blog as well but it is going very slowly I'm afraid. I am keen to read other people blogs, especially someone who has started out as I would like to see how much material they have gotten etc. if anyone wants to share their site :)

Hi.
    You can read my blog if you like, if you want a feel of what a blog is about. I have been doing it for eight years, last month was 118,000 page views. I don't blog for money, it is a hobby, but the principle is the same, write often, write interesting content, be consistent.

I write about my brilliant life on a pension. It's about making the most of what money I already have, not about making more. There are no adverts, I don't accept guest posts, I won't accept money for free products or services. I can't tell you how to monetise your blog, others will be able to tell you that.

I would say try and get in the habit of writing every day, it will take a while for you to build up a readership and sign up followers. It doesn't matter to me how many people read my blog but if you plan to make money from it you need to write something they want to read. People won't come back if there are big gaps between your posts. Choose the subjects you are interested in. Writing is a creative pastime, your spelling, grammar, and punctuation need to be quite good, odd mistakes are tolerated.

Some days I write lengthy posts with lots of photographs, sometimes no photo's just text, sometimes a short post. Depends how much time I have. If you are doing it to earn money it becomes like a job, you have got to want to do it. If I didn't enjoy writing a blog, I wouldn't do it.

If your blog is going slowly is it because you are stuck for ideas, or can't be bothered to put the effort in, or don't have the time? You have got to be keen and committed to make it work. Good luck.
    [Removed]

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    You can make a bit of money from blogging if you get a good reputation, as companies will pay you to review their products.

Yes you can, but it takes a hell of a long time and a lot of work to get to that stage. There is no quick easy money, it all depends on how many people you can get to follow you, which could take up to at least a year or more. It is many hours sat at a keyboard, it's pushing yourself and your blog at every opportunity, and getting yourself out there on social networking sites and in the media, newspapers and magazines. You can't sit back and write a blog and do nothing else and expect the money to come rolling in.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills