Ryanair Tips - guide discussion

Comments

• I booked flights with Ryanair from Glasgow to Wroclaw and back in March. Because I have a bad back I booked priority boarding so I would not be standing around waiting to board. Big Mistake!!! People with priority boarding were allowed through the doors from the airport lounge into the stairwell first but we then had to wait at least 15 minutes in the stairwell while previous passengers disembarked from the plane. Meanwhile the non priority passenger had been allowed through and were crowded around us. As soon as the doors to the plane were opened it was a mad free for all with folk from behind pushing past and rushing onto the plane. This happened in both directions. It is not priority boarding but a total travesty and more stressful than if I had just boarded normally. I complained to Ryanair on my return but, because of the 100 digit limit on their complaint section was unable to make my feelings clear. I could only put one flight reservation number in the header so, initially, only got one amount compensated. I had to go through the whole rigmarole again for my second reimbursement as it was not possible to respond to their emails. However they did reimburse me both ways eventually but no apology forthcoming.
  • Save money on the Seat bookings if you are more than 1 person by checking one person in first and only paying for additional people's seats.

We were 4 people travelling, the first two checked in with randomly allocated seats, we then bought cheap seats next to these two seats and ended up with seats 2*2 for £8!
  • It would be good in point 4 about the mobile app to note that non-EU-EEA citizens can't use it with a reference to point 18 which is about needing to get the boarding pass stamped.

Also point 4 needs to be updated as there are no roaming charges in Europe anymore.
  • After 10 years of flying with Ryanair, sometimes booking over 20 flights and Car Hire a year for myself and family, I am now moving over to easyjet after the runaround I have been given by Ryanair Airport Parking. If you have problems, please be aware that the Car Park will refer you to RyanAir, who will refer you to Looking4Parking.com who will refer you back to Ryanair who then tell you that you are contracted with the Car Park. I normally book my Car Park through the Airport Parking but I booked my Bristol Airport Car Park through Ryanair for my trip to France this month. On arrival at the Car Park, the Car Park Reception and personnel were not "Fit for Purpose". The access off the road was badly signposted and obstructed which was dangerous. The personnel at reception were rude and unhelpful. The personnel on the yard were rude and uncooperative when my wife asked where to park and asked for assistance in parking. I had absolutely no confidence that my car would be professionally parked and cared for, so I drove on to the Airport Parking and parked there incurring a parking cost double what it would have been if I had booked with the Airport Long Stay parking in the first place. When I asked for a refund of my Ryanair Parking payment, the Car Park informed me that they had not been paid by Ryanair, Looking4Parking.com advised me to take it up with Ryanair with a parting "Good Luck with that" before hanging up and Ryanair have advised me that their Car Parking Fees are not refundable under any circumstances. What a shame - up to now I have been a big fan of Ryanair but the unhelpful attitude of Ryanair Parking has left a bad taste in my mouth. From being my Airline of first choice, they are now my Airline of last resort and I will only be making future bookings once I have exhausted all other possibilities.
  • Gep
    Gep Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 March 2018 at 6:06PM
    Regarding tip number 7 (Ryanair airports are often miles from the destination cities - factor in transport costs)

Sometimes actually Ryanair takes you to the final destination while other airlines don't. For example if you want to go to the coast of Emilia-Romagna in Italy (Rimini, Riccione, Cattolica, Ravenna, San Marino, etc.) Ryanair will take you direct to Rimini Airport while other airlines (British Airways, EasyJet, ...) will take you to Bologna Airport.
    From Bologna Airport you then have to take a bus (12 EUR return) or a taxi (around 35 EUR return) to the main train station. 20 mins or more depending on traffic.
    From the main train station you then have to go to the coast (at least 1h), which is another 30 EUR return if you book in advance a fast train (and it's always risky to book in advance because you never know if your flight will be on time...).
    Not to mention the time saving, which for me is priceless.

I'm sure there are many other examples.
  • Paulinuk
    Paulinuk Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I call Ryanair ryanscare. Coz you get scared at making a mistake booking your ticket
  • I see advice on MSE to *always pre-book checking luggage, but I never really understand this advice.

Prepaying is little cheaper than at paying at the gate and completely rules-out the opportunity of not paying at all.

If the flight is very full you will be offered to checkin all your luggage for free.

If the flight is very empty you are often allow to board with oversized luggage anyway.

Now that your second bag is stored in the hold regardless of size, I assume it matters even less.

Can people share their experience of the current approach to passengers with oversized hand luggage?
  • Hi not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.
    I have very recently booked flights for Feb 2019 with Ryan Air to Murcis San Javier airport in Spain- it clearly says MJV on my booking and Ryan air are still advertising flights to this airport.
    It has now been announced on other airline websites that MJV will definitely close early January. I skyped RA and could get no response other than ‘ yes MJV airport will close in January and RA customers will be contacted in January’. Is this false advertising and how do I get my money back? ( The new airport is too far away and I would choose to rebook to Alicante)
  • jinkssick
    jinkssick Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Narom wrote: »
    Hi not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.
    I have very recently booked flights for Feb 2019 with Ryan Air to Murcis San Javier airport in Spain- it clearly says MJV on my booking and Ryan air are still advertising flights to this airport.
    It has now been announced on other airline websites that MJV will definitely close early January. I skyped RA and could get no response other than ‘ yes MJV airport will close in January and RA customers will be contacted in January’. Is this false advertising and how do I get my money back? ( The new airport is too far away and I would choose to rebook to Alicante)

I am sure you already have received, but this would be a full refund or taking you to an airport near enough to MJV which RA operate.
    Save saynoto0870.com in your favorites, and stop giving companies more £££ dialling 0870 numbers when you can dial freephones or cheaper alternatives
    call your credit card company, tell them that you want to leave, 99% of the time theyll lower your APR%
    Remember when that Bank Manager or Salesperson smiles at you, all he sees is £ notes. Dont forget the motto, "the wider their grin, the more debt your in"
  • Am not able to open your link, but does it cover a missed flight due to failed baggage handling equipment?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure