cost of new boiler vs repair

Good morning.
Im after some advice pls?
I have an 8 year old ideal boiler and the valve inside has gone that switches over from heating the radiators to hot water so basically I don't have any hot water.
I have a repair cost of £350 + vat but very aware that the boilers about 8 year old and if I get this fixed something else could go wrong at any time.
I have been given a quote of £500+ vat to fit a boiler that I supply which I find quite expensive as the piping is already there from my existing boiler.
My 3rd option is for my plumber to supply and fit a a Viessman vitodens 100w 26kw boiler costing £1800+vat

Do these costs seem very high to you or are they about right?
Many thanks

Comments

• Debbie_Savard
    Debbie_Savard Posts: 430 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2018 at 1:37PM
    That repair cost is mad high IMHO. A diverter valve head is £50 - https://www.partscenter.co.uk/product/ideal-174813-head/ plus £90 for an hour of a gas fitters time
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    That repair cost is mad high IMHO. A diverter valve head is £50 - https://www.partscenter.co.uk/product/ideal-174813-head/ plus £90 for an hour of a gas fitters time

Are you serious, you don’t know what boiler they have other then it’s a ideal and you’ve just picked a random diverter valve head, what about the body, do you know how long it’s going to take?

OP it’s only 8 years old it’s going to be worth repairing, I’m not a lover of ideals but it’s not worth replacing just because the diverter valve needs replacing.
  • I decided to ring Ideal and see what they charge.
    They quoted me £300 to fit all inclusive and service and parts insurance for 6 months.
    So much cheaper than my original plumber and 6 months plan too
    Seems a much better option
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If you're going down the fixed price repair route the SSE do it for £150.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Interesting - I had problems with a leaking Ferrolli (?) boiler. A stressful leak - wondering if it would get worse and go through to downstairs!
    Fortunately, no, helped by advice to keep boiler running as much as possible (drips less when running).
    Reason though was a faulty diverter valve, next day fitted - cost £278 - incl. 90mins labour (30 1st day, 60 2nd day).
    Out of curiosity I asked how much for a new one - 'we only do Bosch it would be £2240 - done in a day.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • PartsFPS - I don't think the OP would be remotely interested in buying Spam from your catering supply business. Muppet.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    PartsFPS - I don't think the OP would be remotely interested in buying Spam from your catering supply business. Muppet.
    ? no idea why this was bumped for such an unusual reply, but I'm curious.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure