Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
  • Christa1
    BA have extended their flight sale to April, May and June 2008. Flights in April are available from Newcastle- HRW- JFK for under 600.00 for 2( cheap tickets , expensive surcharges). Sale finishes next Tuesday apparently.This thread is great for advice but I would suggest trip advisor when looking for hotels, we went for 10 days at Easter from Newcastle with KLM, but their tickets are a lot more expensive now. We stayed at the Shelburne, Murray Hill ( Affinia Hotel) on Lexington, just a couple of blocks up from the Chrysler building, and it was excellent.
  • Christa1
    I was wanting to book for early April next year and take advantage of the cheap prices on the ba world sale. I know they have another sale in January but can't remember what their prices were this Jan. Last year I booked in November for the April trip, can anyone advise? Should I wait, and hang on to my money and hope I can get a good deal later? I need to fly from Newcastle too so that's another consideration. At the moment I can book any flight with BA that I want there and back and I know that this will become less as time goes on and flights get full.( NB anyone wanting to do this and has plenty of nectar points can get a good discount too)
    • M4RKM
    • By M4RKM 23rd Sep 07, 1:18 PM
    • 5,066 Posts
    • 3,677 Thanks
    M4RKM
    Small airports normally work out a lot more expensive... the main airports i'd consider flying to NYC out of are either MAN or LHR. Newcastle would have higher prices, and it might be worth considering the cost difference of driving to Manchester, (3 hours away?!), and this might work out cheaper.

I always stand by my rule of 3 months is a good time to book, as people have already booked some seats, and the airlines want to start selling off theirs cheaper...

i normally go to NYC in March, and book either dec / jan. I once picked up a return flight for £180 (though it was about 3 years ago now, taxes have gone up since!)

post your findings here, with what prices you get, and me or one of the other money savers might be able to find something good for you... we don't mind searching around..
  • Christa1
    Thanks Markymoo. The current BA sale HRW - JFK next April is available for £228, from NCL it's £295.00( with Exec club reduction), so for the difference of £67.00 I need to weigh that against the cost of parking at MAN, and driving back. Having driven back from MAN before following a trip to Florida I would rather pay the £67.00. I only live 9 minutes from the airport so it makes sense to me. If I use some nectar points i can get the flight for £558.00 for both of us. As the sale closes on Tues I need to make my mind up. This year we did NCL-AMS- JFK, but these prices are over £400.00 each at the moment. Any advise appreciated. I have looked at airline network and they are over £600.00 for 2 people.
    Just to say too following your other post( hope it's OK to put here?) I have now looked at going to the Cosmopolitan, as you and others recommend, having initially wanted to book the Casablanca. hotelconxtions is by far the cheaper and would save me almost £500.00 on what i was going to pay. Should I book this now too or wait? Not sure if it gets full quickly. Thanks.
    • M4RKM
    • By M4RKM 24th Sep 07, 9:13 PM
    • 5,066 Posts
    • 3,677 Thanks
    M4RKM
    with the hotel cosmo, always book when you can... leave it a while, and the price can go up.. normally by about $2 a night, but it can creep up..

if you're saving money by booking the cosmo, consider a 2 double bed room, these are a lot more spacious, and normally what I book (even though i'm travelling solo)

what are you exact dates, and i'll see what prices i can come up with flyingh from Newcastle.
  • Christa1
    My dates are flexible but over the easter hols as that's when my daughter is on holiday -16 April? That gives us time to get over jet lag!!, we were thinking of going 7/8 nights.
    Glad you clarified about the cosmo! I had suggested we book a two bedded room but thought it had to be for 4 people. We spent a lot of time this year down that area, A&B are at Southsea Seaport and the theater booking office much more accessible than Times Square. Thanks for your help!
  • Christa1
    sorry that should be 7- 16 April!!
  • hammy the hammer
    you could try the exchange hotel on front st jcn wall st ...5 minutes walk fro the seaport ...used to get rave reviews on trip advisor
    • M4RKM
    • By M4RKM 25th Sep 07, 12:40 AM
    • 5,066 Posts
    • 3,677 Thanks
    M4RKM
    i've never found the cosmo hotel cheaper than on hotelconxions... as for your flights, the cheapest i can find is 284.40 for each flight

American Airlines
    Flight: 6743
    (Operated by British Airways)
    Departs
    Newcastle Upon Tyne (NCL)
    7 April
    9:10 Arrives
    London (LHR)
    7 April
    10:25 Notes
    Flight time: 1:15
    Airbus A320

( connecting to )

American Airlines
    Flight: 131
    Departs
    London (LHR)
    7 April
    16:35 Arrives
    New York (JFK)
    7 April
    19:25 Notes
    Flight time: 7:50
    Boeing 777

American Airlines
    Flight: 142
    Departs
    New York (JFK)
    16 April
    8:30 Arrives
    London (LHR)
    16 April
    20:25 Notes
    Cabin class: Economy
    Distance: 3452 mi
    Stops: non-stop
    Flight time: 6:55
    Boeing 777
    ( connecting to )
    British Airways
    Flight: 1324
    Departs
    London (LHR)
    17 April
    7:15 Arrives
    Newcastle Upon Tyne (NCL)
    17 April
    8:25 Notes
    Cabin class: Economy
    Distance: 252 mi
    Stops: non-stop
    Flight time: 1:10
    Airbus A319

the flight times ain't that great, so maybe your option is the best around...

M
    • M4RKM
    • By M4RKM 25th Sep 07, 12:41 AM
    • 5,066 Posts
    • 3,677 Thanks
    M4RKM
    you could try the exchange hotel on front st jcn wall st ...5 minutes walk fro the seaport ...used to get rave reviews on trip advisor
    Originally posted by hammy the hammer
    might be a nice change for me next time... any links for booking??
  • Christa1
    Marymoo, that's great thanks so much for your efforts. I think I might just book with BA then for the differnce of 10.00, and choose my flights plus the BA air miles I will earn. With you sayoing to book 3 months before do you think the Jan sales are better value than these or is this as good as it gets? I don't mind paying now though. Also should i book the Cosmo now or wait until the new year?
  • Christa1
    Markymoo- aplogies with typo, fingers quicker than the brain!!
  • Christa1
    Just checked out the Exchange Hotel on TA. very mixed reviews quite varied, not consistant so think I will go with Markymoo and go for the Cosmo- daughter now wants 8 nights as it's so reasonalble compared to the Casablanca( which she wouldn't appreciate really as she doesn't like wine!!). Room is only to sleep in for us as we are out all day.
    • M4RKM
    • By M4RKM 25th Sep 07, 3:45 PM
    • 5,066 Posts
    • 3,677 Thanks
    M4RKM
    Marymoo, that's great thanks so much for your efforts. I think I might just book with BA then for the differnce of 10.00, and choose my flights plus the BA air miles I will earn. With you sayoing to book 3 months before do you think the Jan sales are better value than these or is this as good as it gets? I don't mind paying now though. Also should i book the Cosmo now or wait until the new year?
    Originally posted by Christa1
    personally, if you have the money, get it booked, and start planning what to do...

if you're going for a special occasion or just like to plan, nearer to the time, check out opentable.com as you can book your restaurant reservations over the internet.... i've used it plenty of times, and it's really good..

M
  • hammy the hammer
    i booked and visited it last september with bookings.com ($149 + tax per night early september 06 )....i couldn't fault the hotel as we had 2 queen beds , plasma tv and a kitchenette all spotless ....however a year is a long time in the hotel world and at the time all the reviews were good ( top rated i believe on travel advisor at the time !)..those reviews are now mixed
    i would stick with a good recent personal recommendation and book that
  • Christa1
    Ok Markymoo- been watching this like a hawk through out the day for your reply- the sale finishes tonight. I managed to find my BA email advertising the Jan sale and the prices this year started at 279.00 (HRW- JFK), so all in all I think I might just go for it. No special occassion, other than keeping my daughter happy as she loves NY- more than I do actually. We were there for 10 days this Easter and still missed loads so will catch up this time hopefully.
    Really appreciate your time looking onto this.
    What do you suggest for the Cosmo? Book now or wait. You can get it cheaper through hotel.com via quidco ( 6.5% discount) just for info.
    We booked quite a few restaurants this year too, I rang and made reservations( using the cheap access no on MSE) we went to some great places.
  • Christa1
    hammy the hammer- how true that is. We stayed at the Shelburne this April, when I was looking( l;ast November) it was about 40 on TA it's now down to below 80. Some of the recent reviews are well... I wouldn't stay there this time put it like that. I think the Cosmo is generally rated highly, and for the price seems good value. Just not sure when to book.
  • hammy the hammer
    i kid you not i was put off booking the waldorf astoria last year due to some of the reviews.
    one problem i have highlighted in the past is that US hotels seem to have more 'classes' of room ....so you book a cheap room..get upgraded without you knowing it ...write a rave review at how nice and what a bargain it was ....next person books and ends up in a broom cupboard.
    also the internet can be manipulated on review sites etc
  • hammy the hammer
    the price you have seen with BA from newcastle seems good to me as long as you don't have mega gaps between flights (in that case with more than 1 of you travelling you could look at BA from manchester instead )....at the end of the day even if they have a further sale how much cheaper might it be ? ...also it only takes something like an event to come up in the South and also factor in that it's school holidays and your newcastle flight might start to become full and your price will go up.
    on the plus side it should be part of your holiday making your plans and there's nothing like getting the bulk of it finalised.
  • Christa1
    Hammy- yes I Have looked, to get the 9.10 flight means we have about 3 hours in Heathrow, but it gets us to NY at just after 4.00 pm, the later flight12.05 gets to NY at 18.10, then we have to get a taxi to the hotel, it will be getting late not sure about dark? There will just be me and my daughter. The 12.05 flight only has a couple of hours between flights, coming back is fine only an hour or so which is OK
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,025Posts Today

7,573Users online

Martin's Twitter