Easyjet Tricks - guide discussion

Comments

• My kids have never let me forget, that in an effort to beat the weight limit in our one booked suitcase between 4, I made them wear their ski clothes, padded trousers and all-on the flight.
  • On 26 February I booked 2 flights from Dalaman to Bristol. After reading Martin's weekly letter in April, I watched the flight price and when it was quite a bit cheaper on 28 April I telephoned EasyJet and after hanging on for 4 or 5 minutes I spoke to a very helpful young lady who confirmed that I was entitled to a €51 refund (credit voucher) which is valid for 6 months.
    I am not sure how this figure was calculated but it seems to be based solely on the price of the flight on both days rather than also including the additional price of seats and booked luggage.
    (The seat and hold luggage price also seems to vary from day to day.)

Another two tips:

1) If you are flying into the UK from Europe and have a debit or credit card which doesn't make a charge for foreign exchange transactions, check first, but pay in Euros rather than Pounds Sterling as the exchange rate is generally better.

2) If you need extra luggage allowance it is often cheaper to pay for, and actually take, another bag with its 20kg allowance than pay to add a few extra kgs onto your existing bags.

Re. the Flexifares. Since Martin first published this tip, the price for the Flexifare nowadays seems to be very much higher than the Standard fare, so you might not save as much as you hope by swapping dates.
  • Hi I would beware advising people to wear more clothes a young man collapsed from the heat because he was wearing too many layers. Also I think they are becoming wise to the extra items in duty free bags. I never thought I would say this but Ryanair have finely got their act together and most of the time flights are
    Less than Easyjet, they allow an extra cabin bag and they don't charge a fortune for credit card payments anymore. Quite often I fly one way with Ryanair and the other with Easyjet
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sparks33 wrote: »
    "If you book checked bags when you book an Easyjet flight, it's £11-£22/flight. This rises to £32/flight at check-in, then £45/flight at the gate - costs that easily make a budget flight not so purse-friendly."

Not sure where you get these prices from! My flights are £36 each bag for a return flight, at time of booking.

If you pay £36 per return journey, that is £18 per flight, quite within the range of £11-22 quoted. easyJet is a point-to-point airline, a "flight" is a one way sector, not a return.

The baggage charges can also vary depending on route and date of travel, hence a range is quoted.
  • Helpful. However >

1. When booking car parking with EasyJet it takes you to HolidayExtras website. They build in a 2 hour window for the car park. When flying after a certain time (between 730/800) or arriving close to these times they will add in an extra £20 or so as a result on the basis that your flight may be delayed. Best log on to Alternative website and be specific about time of arrival. Could save you £

2. Pre-allocated booking. Not worth the £ unless you want to be sat next to someone

3. Agree. Take food and water on with you. Why pay close to
    £5 for a coffee and a kitkat!

4. Flight delayed or no info from ground staff. TWEET! My flight got a personal apology from the Captain and gees up staff who should be focussing on customer service
  • karenj
    karenj Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As a frequent flyer from Spain to UK and travel with different airlines for the best prices, I bring hand luggage only one way and put a fold up canvass bag with wheels in it to use on the flight back, that way I am only paying for checked baggage one way. My Rufus Roo jacket is an absolute Godsend!! I put a gym bag type bag that folds up in the pocket and other personal items and even my handbag (as it's quite big and my iPad fits in it!) then empty the pockets and put all the items in the bag to stow under my seat with my handbag. I always take an empty duty free bag to put bits and bobs in like water and sandwiches and cigarettes/tobacco I have bought locally in Spain. So far, no problems.

I always ask for my hand luggage to go in the hold when taking checked baggage as well and most airlines do oblige, even at the bag drop.

Before I check in online, I go to book a flight for the day I am travelling and go to purchase a seat. That way I can see how many seats are available and as a lone passenger, usually end up with an aisle or window seat near the front when the other 2 seats next to me are filled.

Check in for BA flights as has been posted is only 24 hours before travel, but if taking checked baggage at least you can change your seat if you don't like it. Sadly, they stopped doing this if only taking hand luggage.

It's cheaper to book a return flight with Easyjet rather than 2 one ways, if you know the return date and have checked with other airlines and their flights are the cheapest anyway. It used to be cheaper to book 2 one way flights.
  • If you don't like the seats allocated, then don't proceed with check in.Stop and go back a bit later. You will be offered different seats.
    Keep doing this until you get seats that you like.

I done that this year.
  • not sure if Easy Jet go from Luton, but I believe they only allow ONE bag, this is an airport policy
  • Jambocb wrote: »
    I recently booked flights for my wife and I and our 3 year old to Paris. I paid extra to choose seats purely to guarantee we'd be sat next to each other. I'm assuming it's pretty much certain easyjet wouldn't refund me this?

My understanding is they'll only guarantee to sit one of you next to your child, but that's only the case if there are no sets of 3 seats still available. I doubt you'll be able to get a refund on the pre-booked seats.
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    not sure if Easy Jet go from Luton, but I believe they only allow ONE bag, this is an airport policy

In theory that is the policy unless you are flying on El Al. However, I am yet to see it enforced.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback