Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen S
    • By MSE Helen S 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    • 75Posts
    • 44Thanks
    MSE Helen S
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide
    • 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide 28th May 15 at 11:15 AM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 2
  • Stockleyo
    Applied for this card, topped up £15 but did not receive an additional £5. Ordered a physical card as I am heading out to Europe this weekend.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 8th Jul 15, 9:07 AM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Applied for this card, topped up £15 but did not receive an additional £5. Ordered a physical card as I am heading out to Europe this weekend.
    Originally posted by Stockleyo
    Applied for which card??
    • jadex
    • By jadex 8th Jul 15, 9:14 AM
    • 663 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    jadex
    Revolut - This app is incompatible with all of your devices.
    Why would I want a card which cannot be managed by quite recent devices?
    • EXSUDBURY
    • By EXSUDBURY 8th Jul 15, 9:44 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    EXSUDBURY
    I had a bad experience with one of these cards. When travelling in the USA I tried to fill up at a gas station but because my postcode was not recognised when they required a zip code the card was rejected. I tried another gas station and had the same problem. Fortunately my daughter had funds to enable me to fuel the car. However, when checking my balance online later, I found that both gas stations had created a "pending transaction" of $100 each effectively reducing my cash card's value by $200. On contacting the card's customer service I was informed it would take around 10 days before these entries were cleared. That was the remainder of our holiday. Since then I have always used the Halifax credit card. Be warned!
    • bargain slag
    • By bargain slag 8th Jul 15, 9:49 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    bargain slag
    Just registered on Revolut via iPad app. They MSE invite code needs to be entered right at the start of the process. I didn't do this thinking it was a code to be entered on payment, so my £10 payment was only worth £10...doh! BUT I messaged them to explain via the support icon and instantly they messaged back and credited the £5 straight away. So good customer service via support app so far. Obviously, not yet used card though. I like the interface and how I can watch live euro rate before choosing to exchange....decided not to exchange yet but monitor rate over next couple of weeks. When i think rate is best for m, i'll load up more sterling and exchange.
  • richarduk
    Signed up, £5 bonus was credited immediately. App is impressive, like the fact you can see real time, changing, FX rates.

Will be interested to see how quickly the card turns up and actually using it.
  • philipdobson
    Hi

Just signed up for the Revolut prepaid card after the recommendation from MSE but when I went to change from £ into USD the rate I was offered was 1.537 but Halifax are offering a rate of 1.55, so maybe not the best exchange rates after all.
    Last edited by philipdobson; 08-07-2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Wrong Information posted
  • keithtempleman
    I obtained a UKash Prepaid Euro card and it worked perfectly including Car Hire and petrol stations. Rate was good but there is a problem adding cash to the card. When using a foreign internet connection the UKash site presents the local site (in my case Cyprus, in Greek) and will NOT allow you to visit the UK site. I solved this by using a UK VPN but a tech solution should not be necessary.
  • philipdobson
    Sorry was given duff information about the Halifax rate, it was 1.473 so Revolut gave a much better rate
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 8th Jul 15, 12:18 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Sorry was given duff information about the Halifax rate, it was 1.473 so Revolut gave a much better rate
    Originally posted by philipdobson
    No, your info was not duff. The Clarity Mastercard rate of yesterday was US$1.556999

So US$0.02 to the £ better than Revolut.
    • buddle
    • By buddle 8th Jul 15, 2:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    buddle
    Caxton fx card
    Since Caxton fx have changed to MasterCard rather than visa the sms balance and load function no longer works "they have not implemented it yet, but hope to have it in place by end of the year". This was one of the cards most useful functions I thought, so am looking for another card
    • Andyjrb
    • By Andyjrb 8th Jul 15, 3:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Andyjrb
    The Revolut app looks pretty good. Allows you to swap currencies instantly back and forth at a very similar rate highlighted on xe.com at the touch of button, seemingly at no cost. Therefore, everyone can easily become currency speculators, grabbing the best rates as they happen. If you want your GBP back out either 'send' it on or just head to a UK cash machine with the Mastercard.
    • capdan
    • By capdan 8th Jul 15, 5:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    capdan
    Card declined
    We have a Sainsburys Cash Passport which we frequently loaded with euros. We had no problem using mainly for petrol until we called into a Carrefour last year in France. We used the card in the main store and then went round and used Carrefour's card only petrol station.
    There was plenty of money to cover these on the preloaded card.
    Later that evening we went out to a restaurant and used the card again.It was declined which seemed unusual as you cannot overspend.
    Back at the hotel we checked the balance online and the petrol station amount was 50Ä over what we had spent. Thinking it was a mistake i phoned Sainsburys contact numbers back in the UK. They said frequently businesses would add on to ensure the payment went through. It should be cleared and refunded a few days later.
    This is exactly what happened but seemed ridiculous that a
    pre- payment card could have that happen to it.
    It has now made us very wary of using it and wondering whether it is worth the bother.
    • Kernow666
    • By Kernow666 8th Jul 15, 5:40 PM
    • 3,383 Posts
    • 3,133 Thanks
    Kernow666
    We have a Sainsburys Cash Passport which we frequently loaded with euros. We had no problem using mainly for petrol until we called into a Carrefour last year in France. We used the card in the main store and then went round and used Carrefour's card only petrol station.
    There was plenty of money to cover these on the preloaded card.
    Later that evening we went out to a restaurant and used the card again.It was declined which seemed unusual as you cannot overspend.
    Back at the hotel we checked the balance online and the petrol station amount was 50Ä over what we had spent. Thinking it was a mistake i phoned Sainsburys contact numbers back in the UK. They said frequently businesses would add on to ensure the payment went through. It should be cleared and refunded a few days later.
    This is exactly what happened but seemed ridiculous that a
    pre- payment card could have that happen to it.
    It has now made us very wary of using it and wondering whether it is worth the bother.
    Originally posted by capdan
    this seems to be a common problem with these cards , i used to sell them when i worked at sainsburys & wasnt until we got customer feedback that i started advising customers about this , was actually on a memo that was sent round to staff to ask customers where they are going when purchasing a card
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 8th Jul 15, 6:10 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    The Revolut app looks pretty good. Allows you to swap currencies instantly back and forth at a very similar rate highlighted on xe.com at the touch of button, seemingly at no cost. Therefore, everyone can easily become currency speculators, grabbing the best rates as they happen. If you want your GBP back out either 'send' it on or just head to a UK cash machine with the Mastercard.
    Originally posted by Andyjrb
    Seems that the rates aren't quite as good as you suggest.
    • PeteDoff
    • By PeteDoff 8th Jul 15, 6:12 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    PeteDoff
    Ordered a physical card as I am heading out to Europe this weekend.
    Originally posted by Stockleyo
    Oh, which continent do you normally live on?
    Turning left avoids some of the idiots (only some)
  • Geoffrey M
    We Swap Card
    We Swap Card.

The first time I used it my sterling was returned to me as they could not match Euros to my request.

The second time I used it I found that the final rate I received was marginally lower than Fairfx.

Basically a lot of bother, as the exchange is not immediate, and the rate was not what I expected.
    Last edited by Geoffrey M; 08-07-2015 at 9:46 PM.
  • Geoffrey M
    Revolut app is incompatible with an android device purchased in the last four months. Not exactly encouraging so I will not try on my other devices. First incompatible app I have come across.
  • dovermire
    Revolut APP - installing
    Tried installing from the Android Playstore, installed OK, putting info in to register, used home phone number put in MSE code, set passcode and came up with errors not able to register my new account, uninstalled app and tried again - unsuccessful, uninstalled yet again.

Used my PC via MSE email link to website and downloaded app this way, install and registration was successful, only difference I used was my mobile number not my landline.

David
    Sarah x
  • trwblanchard
    Travelex Global Card
    Hi all,

Anyone have recent experience with the Travelex Global card? I'm travelling soon so don't have time to wait the 7-10 days for other cards, will need more currencies than Euros for an interrail trip. The MSE post says that this card has no ATM fees, but the Travelex site says they do (travelex.co.uk/services/cash-passport/globe-cash-passport/globe-cash-passport-fees-and-charges)

Has this changed recently or am I missing something?
    Thanks

p.s. This is my first post, apologies if this is the wrong thread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,076Posts Today

6,304Users online

Martin's Twitter