Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • cooder
    • 2nd May 07, 10:06 AM
    • 2nd May 07, 10:06 AM
    I often hire cars abroad and use my visa debit card, never had aproblem yet!
  • skirt
    • 2nd May 07, 12:59 PM
    • 2nd May 07, 12:59 PM
    We couldnt find one to hire at Murcia either - we dont have credit, just debit cards.
    • GlennTheBaker
    • By GlennTheBaker 2nd May 07, 3:05 PM
    • 2,815 Posts
    • 1,832 Thanks
    GlennTheBaker
    • 2nd May 07, 3:05 PM
    • 2nd May 07, 3:05 PM
    I can't see why using a VISA debit card would cause any problems. On the outside it is, after all, just a card carrying the VISA symbol - how it works 'behind the scenes' is surely irrelevent.
    • LesD
    • By LesD 2nd May 07, 6:37 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    LesD
    • 2nd May 07, 6:37 PM
    • 2nd May 07, 6:37 PM
    Hi there - does anyone out there know of any hire car companies at Valencia Airport that accept a VISA DEBIT card as the security deposit.
    Originally posted by woml
    Surely using a DEBIT card as a DEPOSIT would mean the cash being taken from your account there-and-then? Is that what you would want?
  • woml
    • 3rd May 07, 7:35 AM
    • 3rd May 07, 7:35 AM
    Thanks everyone. I know, it seems daft them not accepting a debit card as security, but apparently it's because if you have a credit card, it means you have 'ticked the right boxes' ie you are a responsible person less likely to do a runner!!!! Don't jump down my throat, they're not my words, that was what a hire car company employee told me when I queried it!

Anyway, I did finally manage to track down a company that will accept debit cards upon collection. They are Sol-Mar (in Spain) but you HAVE to book through valuerentalcars.com and put a note on the addition info box that you only have a debit card, not a CREDIT card.

Of course, it actually remains to be seen if we turn up at Valencia with 2 kids in tow, and only a debit card, if they do actually hand over the car, but I will post and let you know. I'll also post a separately if it works, because I imagine there are loads of people out there in a similar position.

Thanks again.
    • LB1985
    • By LB1985 3rd May 07, 11:21 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    LB1985
    • 3rd May 07, 11:21 AM
    • 3rd May 07, 11:21 AM
    My family have hired cars in the past and my parents have never had a credit card. I think the company took an 'imprint' of the Visa debit card and 'blocked' a certain amount of the funds available. This was booked through Holiday Autos (I think!)
  • woml
    • 15th Jun 07, 7:09 PM
    • 15th Jun 07, 7:09 PM
    I promised to let you know how I got on hiring a car in spain without a credit card.

Well, yes, it did work, with Sol-mar with no problems. Hooray!!!!

Just to reiterate though, you have to book through valuerentalcars.com and specifically tell them you will only have a DEBIT card upon collection of the vehicle.

Hope this helps some of you out there!
  • karlsp
    • 20th Jun 07, 12:13 PM
    value rental cars
    • 20th Jun 07, 12:13 PM
    Im having the same trouble.....

but www.valuerentalcars.com just takes me to a search portal

any ideas.... i am currently trying Sol-mar as it says you can pre pay, and not have to make a credit card deposit, so heres hoping.

Heres what Sol-Mar small print says..... but it could mean that there is no credit card deposit against vehicle damage, but there could be a deposit required for something else :confused:

"
    All Sol-Mar car rental insurances with NO excess value!
    Our Sol-Mar car rental rates are inclusive of all required Sol-Mar car rental vehicle insurances like 3rd party responsibility, CDW (Collision Damage Waiver), TW (Theft Waiver) and Bail Bond (where applicable) at Granada Airport and have no Sol-Mar car rental insurance excess, this means that there is no credit card deposit on arrival at Granada Airport against damage to the Sol-Mar car rental vehicle's bodywork and in the event of bodywork damage to the Sol-Mar car rental vehicle (like dented panels, broken wing mirrors etc, not : tyres glass wheels etc see below) there is no renter responsibility."
  • woml
    Hi Karlsp - I'm so sorry, that should have been valuecarrentals.com! I got them through travelsupermarket.com and went to the travel section and then hire car. The only extras we paid for to Sol-mar when we were in Spain was some extra insurance to cover tyres, wheels and glass and for a booster seat for our youngest, and we paid for these on our debit card.

Be careful when you're looking around though as even companies that say you don't need to actually pay a deposit, still require a credit card, not a debit card when you pick the car up though, as security and ID. You'll need to look carefully in the small print of their terms and conditions.

Hope that helps.

Nicky
  • Bromheads Wallet
    Car hire hell
    Hello,
    After a week and a half of trying to sort out a similar problem, I thought of looking here. I am at the end of my tether, having booked the holiday and flights and realising that I can't get a hire car! The holiday is completely reliant on getting a car due to the location.
    I have contacted all of the major firms, all responding with 'no credit card, no car' Hopefully this post will save me having to drive to Spain in order to get our holiday. The reasons for the credit card requirement is quoted 'people have hired cars for a few days and not returned them at all in the past so the policy is to have the card details as security' I find this a difficult statement to believe as the rise in credit card fraud would surely offer no deterrant to criminals wishing to steal cars.
    My situation differs slightly from Woml's in the fact that I only have a Maestro debit card, which apparently is thought of less by these companies than the Visa debit card. I felt compelled to post as this could possibly help anyone faced with this horrible situation. I still can't believe it is happening to us after a bad year we just needed a break and this is causing a lot of stress.
    I have contacted SolMar, (left a message, but will call again tomorrow) and let you know how I get on. If any of you know of any alternatives I would be grateful for a reply.

Thanks, BW
  • Bromheads Wallet
    As promised I have some feedback, I have been promised it will be OK for me to get a car from Sol-Mar car hire with my debit card. Valuecarrentals.com were most helpful. I am flying in on the 28th July so will see, the seed of doubt is still lingering as all of the other companies that I contacted all turned me down flat.
    I can't thank Woml enough. I really was thinking of driving to Spain because of all of this. Now I don't have to .

I will update after the holiday with hopefully good news,

Cheers, BW
  • woml
    Hi BW. I'm guessing you're away at the moment, hopefully driving around in your hire car! I do hope it went ok for you. We've just got back from Spain again, and again used solmar through valuecarrentals, again no problem with debit card. This time it was from Murcia airport.

It is absolutely soul-destroying trying to book a hire car without a credit card, so I know what you went through. We also were at the point of either cutting our losses and cancelling the holiday, or looking at driving down (ferry costs a fortune) or getting the train down (a major headache with two young children in tow).

I also couldnt relax until we actually had the car keys in our hand at the airport though!!

let us know how it went.

Regards
    Nicky
  • Bromheads Wallet
    Hello, I have had a great holiday- with a car!!!! even a free upgrade to a 7 seater Zafira, it was excellent.

Not all plain sailing though. We eventually got there at 11pm waited for 30 minutes for a transfer to the car hire booth at Granada (just outside the airport) Had to wait for ages for every one else to get their cars sorted out, when I got to the front (with only one family left behind me at around 12pm) went through all of the routine questions and details.... then got to payment...
    I handed him my card...declined. What!!!! they explained that my Maestro card is a cash card not a debit card. A small argument followed, I do mean small, I was in the middle of explaining that the maestro is a debit card in the UK, when he said 'there is a cash machine at the airport. I pulled my neck in and said, so you will take cash? Si was the response

I couldn't get my cash out fast enough. Pheww! then he said we havent any Focus estates. Will this do? 7 seater all the way, Diesel to boot, saved me a fortune in petrol.

Sol Mar were fantastic. Because I picked it up in the dark and it only had 7000 kilometers on the clock I assumed all would be well. They didn't seem too bothered about running me through the checks and just passed me the keys.
    In the morning I got a surprise, there was a scrape all down the passenger side, mot massive but deep enough to show. (wasn't me honest) This bothered me a bit as I hadn't checked it over properly. It was in the back of my mind all holiday.
    When I got to the airport for handover, they just took the keys no problems. When I read through the insurance, it said fully comprehensive so there was absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Really, really fantastic service. Completely recommended to all, Thanks agian Nicky for starting this life saving thread!!! and a big thanks to all who have contributed to it.
  • woml
    Hi BW, so glad you got it sorted. Sol-Mar made the difference between going on holiday and not, for us, so I know how you feel!

Regards
    Nicky
  • daisy doughnut 2
    hi all we just used sol-mar booked through carjet at girona airport the service we recieved was great and we used a visa electron
  • sarah1975uk
    Hi Karlsp - I'm so sorry, that should have been valuecarrentals.com! I got them through travelsupermarket.com and went to the travel section and then hire car. The only extras we paid for to Sol-mar when we were in Spain was some extra insurance to cover tyres, wheels and glass and for a booster seat for our youngest, and we paid for these on our debit card.

Be careful when you're looking around though as even companies that say you don't need to actually pay a deposit, still require a credit card, not a debit card when you pick the car up though, as security and ID. You'll need to look carefully in the small print of their terms and conditions.

Hope that helps.

Nicky
    Originally posted by woml
    Thanks Nicky Very helpful post. I have gotten a quote that i am happy with but in terms and conditions it says need a credit card for local payments of fuel etc. Bit scared to enter debit card details for payment incase i dont get given the car at the other end. can you help me out ta Sarah x
    This site is great! Thanks to Martin Lewis & everyone who participates and helps so many people! Without you all, where would we be ??

The days are long, but the years are short! Cherish every moment, you blink that moment is gone forever
  • eamonn
    Insurance Excess
    Most rental companies insist on a credit card , my understanding is that with a credit card they can block off the insurance excess amount, the insurance excess is the amount that you are liable for if you have an accident, with Solmar the excess is zero so it is possible they will accept a debit card , also check www.fastcarhire.co.uk who also use Solmar and Centuro in Spain who will need to let them know that you do not have a credit card but they will add notes to booking and get approval in advance so all should run smoothly
  • woml
    Hi Sarah, it'll defo be fine if you book through valuecarrentals.com, they will put a note on your booking that you will be paying with debit card (make sure you tell valuecarrentals first though!). We've done it twice now through them and it's been fine. Not tried fastcarhire.co.uk, as in eamonn's post but sounds a similar setup, so could be worth a try also?

Good luck!
    Nicky
  • sarah1975uk
    oh my god doesnt time fly, with christmas racing towards us, am off ot spain tomorrow and am having a mare cant get car hire everyone seems to be sold out. Need car for me Dh & 3 Kids and luggage, something like a ford focus or soemthing similar, want to pay by debit card online or cash on collection but i dont have a credit card.
    This site is great! Thanks to Martin Lewis & everyone who participates and helps so many people! Without you all, where would we be ??

The days are long, but the years are short! Cherish every moment, you blink that moment is gone forever
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

18Posts Today

3,598Users online

Martin's Twitter