New Guide Discussion: Everyone needs ESTA for US travel

Comments

• ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    dzug1 wrote: »
    And being picky it's your responsibility to hand it in anyway.

Agree, and it says so on the form.

Photo here:

http://www.usvisalawyers.co.uk/article6add1.htm

Departure Record, second photo (back of the form).

"...you must surrender it when you leave the US. Failure to do so may delay your entry to the US in the future."

Thankfully once ESTA is fully up and running the green form goes away and this issue goes away...one of the benefits of ESTA.

As for the 'brown' comment...as she was wearing a brown jacket, I'm going to go with that as the reason that word was used...not an ideal way to address someone, but not racist. As for sayonara...I know a few Americans who use that in place of 'goodbye' in their day-to-day interactions with people...can I see how that may have been a tad inappropriate for anyone in a work situation? Absolutely...but I wouldn't automatically have thought it racist...though I can see how it might have been taken that way.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • As a regular visitor to the US, I can confirm it is rare to find a polite immigration official - they do exist, but good luck! Beware of the ones wearing dark glasses (indoors!). As for the $14 charge for the ESTA application - with $10 profit for encouraging tourism!! - isn't that simply PROFITEERING?? Would it be illegal to record audio while passing through immigration?
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    FWIW, I'm American but have a visa granting indefinate leave to remain in the UK...I've never encountered a particularly friendly UK immigration myself...not in nearly 11 years...but I don't expect immigration officers to be friendly...they aren't working a till at a supermarket, after all...I expect them to be quite serious and perhaps stern..some have been downright scary (and remember, I have a visa)...it's a pretty important job they are doing...so I'm OK with them taking it seriously.

Do people complain about the costs of advance travel authorisation/visas to visit other countries this much? Are any that do have a fee anything like $14 for 2 years ? I know you Brits don't have to pay $50 for Australia anymore...but I still do...does it occur to me to whine about it? Not so much.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • Hi there, sorry if this has already been asked but I couldnt see it. Thanks to you all I completed the ESTA forms for us before the charge deadline. Ive gone in today to retrieve them to add the address where we are staying and the carrier name and flight number. However, I can't find a field anywhere to add the date of travel? seems odd to me that they wouldnt ask for this, but have checked and double checked and cannot see a date of travel field. Is this correct??? I dont want to miss anything off that is required, so would really appreciate your advice, many thanks!
  • add the address where we are staying and the carrier name and flight number. However, I can't find a field anywhere to add the date of travel? seems odd to me that they wouldnt ask for this, but have checked and double checked and cannot see a date of travel field. Is this correct??? I dont want to miss anything off that is required, so would really appreciate your advice, many thanks!

those fields ar not required anyways. Only things with the red asterik are required. there is no date of travel on the form.
  • ah thats good, thought I needed a trip to Specsavers!! thank you very much for your reply :) xx
  • reminds me of a story I read where the person hadn't put a number down, just a hotel name.

CBP said "i need a number",
    traveller said "I don't know the number"
    CBP said "I need a number"
    traveller said "1"
    CBP was happy.
  • LOL! how daft is that!!! :)
  • I know this is a stupid question, and I know the ESTA lasts 2 years but are you then allowed to travel into the USA as many times as yu want in that 2 year period, or do you have to reapply every visit.
    Thanks
  • rockie95 wrote: »
    I know this is a stupid question, and I know the ESTA lasts 2 years but are you then allowed to travel into the USA as many times as yu want in that 2 year period, or do you have to reapply every visit.
    Thanks

You can use it for multiple visits. Use it too much, say go for 3 months, leave for 1 month, try to get in again, could cause problems. So its not how many times you want, its how many times they allow you to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure