Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lee
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay for my excess dust?
    • 5th Aug 10, 5:36 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay for my excess dust? 5th Aug 10 at 5:36 PM
    This is a real life MMD so please bear in mind the MoneySaver in question will read your responses:

Please give this MoneySaver the benefit of your advice...

Should I pay for my excess dust?

We are in the process of having our driveway reflagged and recently a new neighbour from across the road came over to complain about the dust from the flagging that had fallen on his car. My husband apologised and said we didn't know what we could do. We then saw the neighbours taking pictures of the dust on his car before driving off. I am a bit taken aback by this and wondering what the neighbour hopes to achieve. Should I pay to have his car cleaned?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Page 2
    • pennypinchUK
    • By pennypinchUK 11th Aug 10, 7:01 AM
    • 382 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    pennypinchUK
    Sounds like you've had an early warning about your new neighbour. Certainly, you shouldn't pander to him and pay to have his car cleaned, or he'll be over next week complaining that your house is creating a shadow over his, so can you move your house a bit to the left....

I'd just take it as a signal you've got a potential problem neighbour and ignore him. Life's too short to get worried about people like that.
  • nitrofunction
    No way Jose!
    No way would I offer any water, work or recompense to this jerk.

I'd be inclined to take some pics myself as previously suggested; would also at the same time check if his tax disc was up to date and his tyres had the correct depth of tread remaining . . .
  • markphelan
    Where we live in Birmingham the air quality is rubbish, and my car's always covered in a thin film of dust anyway.

That said, I do always make sure that I don't put any scratches in the paintwork when I wash my car - and the dust that settles can cause very fine scratches which can dull the paintwork. He may just be concerned that this will also happen - and it could cost a couple of hundred pounds to have it all machine polished.

I think that just taking photos of it is a bit pathetic, it may be best to just keep the peace and offer to hose his car down occasionally (just remove the nozzle from the hose and use it open-ended to "sheet" the water over the car - this is quite effective).

After all, you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs!
  • dinosaur7
    you may be causing a nuisance
    The dust from your driveway may be sufficient to amount to an actionable nuisance, for which the neighbour could sue, so you should be careful, as he might not be laughed out of court as some posters have suggested, especially if the dust is the sort that can cause scratches or corrosion.

Please beware of the posts that say you should tell your neighbour where to go etc. this is the worst thing to do and, from a legal point of view, it's very bad advice. Neighbour disputes are horrid and it's always best to sort them out amicably if you can, so I would suggest apologising and offering to pay for a car wash (safer than washing it yourself just in case something goes wrong and further damage is caused!)

With any luck, a thoughtful gesture on your part will be enough to ease any tensions and sort out the issue in a friendly way.
    • gaily
    • By gaily 11th Aug 10, 8:25 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    gaily
    Photos - really, what a *@><$*

Personally, I'd apologise, and let him know that I will happily pay the 5 for his car to be washed at the local handwash - wouldn't want to give him more to complain at by breaching the hosepipe ban, or putting it through the local machine wash (it's scratched my car enough, and I think the neighbour might be a pain)

He may not have asked for payment, but it'd be nice to be the good neighbour, and if I've spent a fortune on a new driveway 5 more probably won't break the bank - as long as the rest of the nieghbourhood doesn't cotton on (BTW - Money savers, gravel works well too, and is far cheaper, and you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.)

But, I'd also be crossing him off my Xmas card list, and advising my kids to avoid the house at halloween. A comment would have been enough, or a request of how long it was going to go on - Photos is just being silly.

We live by the coast anyway, and on dry windy days, all get our cars covered in a coating of Sand - I'd just be advising him that on any other day it could have been the sand, rather than me.
    Last edited by gaily; 11-08-2010 at 8:38 AM.
    Always on the hunt for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Always grateful for any hints, tips or guidance as to where the best deals are
    • thegrifter
    • By thegrifter 11th Aug 10, 8:37 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    thegrifter
    First instinct would be to tell him to spin however I do agree with Dinosaur 7....tread carefully....this guy may well have a justifiable argument, was he warned and given the opportunity to move his car before the work commenced? If yes then he hasn't much of an argument but if not, and you haven't offered a solution and been openly hostile towards him this will not help your cause if it goes to court. Going to court could cost a lot more than 10 wash by a professional car valeter what with possible costs, car hire etc etc...I would suggest the pro wash to reduce the risk off claims for scratching the paintwork.
  • MyUtopia
    Isn't this what insurance is for?
    I know the thrust of the comments so far has been the neighbour is a tight wad for even talking about it, but if the dust is excessive and/or granular than it can cause a lot of damage and scratching to paint work. Bad scratching result in the car needing a new paint job.
    If any problems I would let him know that you will be contacting your home contents insurance company (it's covered under the personal liability section, just be sure to not admit liability for it) and let them deal with him. After all, that's what you pay insurance for.
    • Gillsx
    • By Gillsx 11th Aug 10, 8:43 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Gillsx
    You should have told the neighbour about the work beforehand and yes you should pay for the cleaning of the car. Advise your neighbour how long work will take and that you will pay for the cleaning upon completion and apologise for the inconvenience. I think your neighbour is right to be annoyed. A bit of courtesy goes a long way. Glad i'm not neighbour to the many people on here who seem to think the annoyed neighbour is in the wrong.
    • gaily
    • By gaily 11th Aug 10, 8:52 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    gaily
    Glad i'm not neighbour to the many people on here who seem to think the annoyed neighbour is in the wrong.
    Originally posted by Gillsx
    Gillsx - I would just like to say that if he'd come to me and asked me about it and allowed me to sort it, then I wouldn't categorise him as a bad neighbour. It's not the first thing I'd have thought about when putting a new drive in, so would be apologetic, and offer to rectify his problem.

As he's taken photos without allowing me the chance to rectify the problem, that moves the ball to the edge of the nice guy territory.......
    Always on the hunt for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Always grateful for any hints, tips or guidance as to where the best deals are
  • ccafferty
    as a goodwill gesture and to keep the peace with your neighbour, i would offer to wash his car when the driveway is complete, so that it should stay dust free lol
    • minerva_windsong
    • By minerva_windsong 11th Aug 10, 9:19 AM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    minerva_windsong
    I'd offer to pay for getting the car washed, tell him how long the work will be going on for and suggest he buys a dust cover to protect the car whilst the work is being carried out.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Married my best friend 1st November 2014

Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • mr-tom
    He's trying it on. Don't wash it, or that nasty scratch will be blamed on you and that could cost a fortune.

Inevitably neighbours affect each other and there needs to be give and take. Tell him that he can have 5 (2 for the tesco value car wash and 3 for the petrol & his time to drive there and back).

Tell him that if he accepts this, he must sign for it and acknowledge that it seals an agreement for your future encounters, so for example if he wants to make any noise (ever), he must pay for hotels plus travel plus your time etc.

Also ask him how he got on with his previous neighbours. And then print this discussion thread and give it to the pathetic wa***r.
  • pad_the_mad
    Good Neighbours
    Hi,

I'd suggest that to maintain / improve goodwill with the neighbour, paying for a car to be washed would be a good move. Another option might be to make use of any 'spare' teenage sons or daughters to clean the car for them...

Paul
  • ChuckCash
    Courtesy costs nout
    A little courtesy on both sides and there would be no issue. Giving a little notice to the neighbour in the first place would be nice. Or the neighbour politely asking how he would like the situation remedied instead of pulling out the camera would also be, well, neighbourly.

Photographing the dust indicates the neighbour is considering a legal option. Any common sense judgement would see the case thrown out. As common sense is now illegal, I predict record damages awarded to the guy with the dusty car.
  • ktb3
    Dust on neighbour's car today, some corrosive acid could spill on your new flag stones later in the year.

Be a good neighbour and do the decent thing, be big.
    Originally posted by scotsbob
    Mmm...bit of dust on the car vs. a charge of criminal damage! If I had neighbours that would retaliate to a bit of dust like that, I'd move!
  • mrsmoneybee
    Be nice!
    My mumsie's just had her house redashed which caused lots of dust over next door's house. She noticed, knocked on and told the neighbours she'd sort it out when the builders had left, then arranged a window cleaner to come and clean all the windows and doors on her house and next door. Small price to pay for courtesy and keeping friendly with the neighbours. If you've just forked out for a new drive then surely a few quid for a car wash voucher wouldn't hurt too much?
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 11th Aug 10, 9:41 AM
    • 545 Posts
    • 4,801 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    We had our driveway and patio re-done earlier this year. It took 2 1/2 weeks. We informed all the neighbours who might be affected by lorries coming and going (4 in total), sought (and were granted) permission to use a neighbour's driveway to access ours for one day when supplies were being delivered and did all this as soon as we knew the dates the workmen would start. There was a fearful racket when stone was being cut, so we took any random opportunity when seeing neighbours to sympathise with the noise & assure them it would be short-lived. Once it was all over, I delivered nice wine, hand-selected chocolates, fruit baskets (according to the degree of inconvenience suffered) to 3 sets of neighbours who were all stunned by the gifts and assured me there had been little disruption anyway. This added cost was peanuts compared with the cost of work done.
    I feel very strongly that maintaining good relations with your neighbours wherever possible is essential. Obviously some people have unreasonable ones, but maybe the guy photographing his car was doing so in order to claim on his insurance who require photographic evidence of damage.
  • emmigrant-immigrant
    I am having some home improvements done soon, and am drafting a little note to the naighbours just explaining that we are having the work done, and for a short time there will be dust/ noise/ vehicles coming and going, but I hope it does not inconvenience anyone too much and if anyone would like further information regarding when disturbances are due to occur to come and see us so we can take their needs into account. I would have thought that was common courtesy, and would (hopefully) prevent this type of response (although I can see people being blocked in their drives by people delivering skips/ building material to be more likely to cause a problem). If this hasn't been done and there is a problem, I would ask the neighbour what would make it up to him, appologise for the inconvenience, and see what he says. I would rather pay a fiver for his car to be washed than end up falling out with it, afterall you never know when you are going to need a good neighbours support.
    • aubergine
    • By aubergine 11th Aug 10, 9:46 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    aubergine
    Be a good neighbour
    Blimey, I'm glad I don't live next door to most of you lot. Wouldn't you be a bit miffed if your neighbour had caused you cost or hassle?

He's not festering quietly to himself, he's offered you the opportunity to put things right; if the work's finished apologise nicely and offer to pay for a professional handwash - really, how much would that cost and think of what you'd gain in terms of good neighbourly relations, worth far more than the possible tenner you might save.
  • joeybishop
    get over it
    What the hell has this got to do with money saving?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

41Posts Today

3,104Users online

Martin's Twitter