Great 'Best Value Cabin Luggage' Hunt

Comments

• clearvisor
    clearvisor Posts: 150 Forumite
    I've found a couple of bags that are just within those dimensions, to make the most of your allowance. First, I found this bag (garish, touristy picture of Tower Bridge on it, so awful that surely no-one will try to steal it; H 45cm, W 40 cm, D 17cm) on Ebay for £2.50 incl p&p (can "buy it now" and more than 10 available so probably have loads) - looks very light but described as "heavy duty". Second, and a bit more substantial, Amazon have a rucksack (loads more comfortable to carry, H=46cm W=36cm D=14cm, 520g) for £14.15 incl. p&p.

I'm all in favour of hand luggage only - no hanging about in queues, etc. - also, I don't care what I look like on holiday so am happy not carrying loads of stuff to get dressed up in!
    Ordered two, thanks clervisor
  • JGal
    JGal Posts: 162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've never bothered with cabin bag only but am flying with Ryan air next week for the first time and have not booked hold luggage.

I'm interested to know now how they decide if a luggage is acceptable. Some one has mention they have an open cage or box, presumably with inner dimensions equal to the max luggage size. So I'm guessing they ask you to fit luggage in this - which must also mean a bag could have external dimensions a lot bigger than the maximum as long as it's not full and be squashed down to fit in their measurement cage/box.

But for a small case you have to be careful with external fittings - eg wheels & handles as it's unlikely a case can be squashed down.

Can anyone confirm??
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JGal wrote: »
    I've never bothered with cabin bag only but am flying with Ryan air next week for the first time and have not booked hold luggage.

I'm interested to know now how they decide if a luggage is acceptable. Some one has mention they have an open cage or box, presumably with inner dimensions equal to the max luggage size. So I'm guessing they ask you to fit luggage in this - which must also mean a bag could have external dimensions a lot bigger than the maximum as long as it's not full and be squashed down to fit in their measurement cage/box.

But for a small case you have to be careful with external fittings - eg wheels & handles as it's unlikely a case can be squashed down.

Can anyone confirm??

Yes - wheels handles etc have to be within the max luggage size.

As I use Ryanair, Easyjet and BA on a regular basis, I wanted a hand baggage option to cover all eventualities, so bought a Samsonite bag which will expand from 20cm depth to 25cm when using BA
  • I bought some discontinued cases from the Tesco catatlogue - 3 for £20 ! They were Barbie pink ! which is probably why they weren't a best seller !but I made light of it by adding graffitti - "I'm not gay but my boyfriend is !" - "Reduce your footprint - stand on one leg !" etc. They're bright enough to be seen from space so probably wouldn't get nicked ! The lining was all torn in one of them so the nice Customer Services lady gave me £10 off ! I did have to hacksaw the wheels off the mid sized case to get it to drop into the "cage" but I already had one of those fold-up wheel and handle contraptions which slips into the side pocket.

I'm more than a bit miffed about the fact that I always fly within the rules but some travellers seem to get away with oversized and often numerous items of carry-on completely unchallenged !!!!!!!!!!!

As for cosmetics - the wife and I managed only 2 items of carry-on, for 2 weeks in Greece ! I just used her shampoo / shower gel etc and came back with virtually nothing - (thus making space for a few souvenirs !)
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    but I made light of it by adding graffitti - "I'm not gay but my boyfriend is !"

Hilarious :rolleyes:
  • Thanks for all the posts - have just stayed in all day waiting for my lost checked baggage to be located and couriered to my house courtesy of Alitalia and regret not taking hand baggage only - The tripp luggage looks a real winner.
  • A lot of the cases mentioned sound good, but none of them actually take full advantage of the 55 x 40 x 20cm allowed. Most seem to be about 50cm max. high and 34cm wide, which is wasting an awful lot of packing space, important particularly with Easyjet who don't have a weight restriction. Also, so many of the cases you see are more than 20cm deep.
    I'm constantly on the lookout for the perfect case and a few years ago I found one at Debenhams that seems to have been discontinued. It is so unusually wide (but it still fits in those metal things at check-in) that air crew have often looked surprised.
    Manufacturers: Please make a case that makes the most of these (pretty standard) measurements. You (and we) would be on to a winner!
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A lot of the cases mentioned sound good, but none of them actually take full advantage of the 55 x 40 x 20cm allowed. Most seem to be about 50cm max. high and 34cm wide, which is wasting an awful lot of packing space.

Call it room for error when the low cost airlines decide to change the parameters :beer:
  • woodkit wrote: »
    Just got some cracking cabin luggage from TJ HUghes. reduced to £20 from £50 rrp. Case weighs less than 2kg and measurements are 49 x 34 x 18 cm, apparently the worlds lightest case and it definately feels it compared to my hard case
    link below, currently showing out of stock but loads available instore.

Sorry unable to add link as new poster so look on TJ HUghes wensite for suitcase and look for the 19cm case in the SUB 0 - G collection, available in blue, black or red.

I have been away for 16 days with this case, fitted everything in including 100ml bottles with various bits in them. Even had room to buy sun cream air side. the case is so light and it swallows up loads of stuff. Fantastic design and well worth spending a little bit more on it if you fly regularly. I flew with Easyjet and Ryanair with it and no one looked twice at it and it didn't get weighed. Also got great pockets on the outside for passport and book. Someone has really thought about this case and it's light weight design.

100ml bottles do not need to be clear I travelled with a 100ml deodrant bottle that was not clear and it passed through security unlike my other halfs 150ml bottle that got pulled up and thrown in the bin. There is also a rule about the size of the clear bag they fit in. I think as long as it under 100ml and in a 1 litre size clear bag it will get through.

Does annoy me though when people walk onto the plane with over sized bags and then take up locker space by putting it in side ways. Also watching people get on board with 2 and sometimes 3 bags of various sizes. Handbags are meant to go inside your case not stay on your shoulder.

This case is also available via bags etc.
  • HanSpan
    HanSpan Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Rather than a coat with loads of pockets I use a waistcoat. If you search for 'photographers waistcoat' in google you'll find plenty. Or if you want something rather better looking and are willing to pay more try Orvis.
    Then put a very large plastic bag in your pocket and, once past check in, take off spare clothes and waistcoat and pack it all in the bag until you have to get on the plane!
    I actually keep the waistcoat on and use it instead of a handbag whilst travelling. Having bought a presentable one I also use it when I'm away and even sometimes when travelling to work so although it cost me a bit I use it regularly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure