Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 24th Aug 09, 3:15 PM
    • 1,243Posts
    • 3,576Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Great 'Best Value Cabin Luggage' Hunt
    • 24th Aug 09, 3:15 PM
    0 WOW
    Great 'Best Value Cabin Luggage' Hunt 24th Aug 09 at 3:15 PM
    What’s this about?

Taking hand luggage only makes budget flying cheaper, as so far none charge for it. Though there is usually a 10Kg weight limit (see Budget Airline Fee-Fighting for the different allowances).

So we want to tap MoneySavers for tips on the cheapest, lightest cabin luggage available. Remember it will need to pass the size test at check-in; easyJet & Ryanair have allow a max of 55cm high, 40cm wide and 20cm deep.

This was inspired by a company called Flylite, which sent us one of its small-size cabin bags. Can you find one cheaper and lighter?

Big pockets help beat weight limits ...

Plus if you know of any cheap coats with big pockets, which you can stuff with extra weight, post 'em too. As an example, MoneySaver terry227 came up with the ingenious idea of wearing an engineers’ coat as they come with so many pockets (looks like these).

What to do

If you have tips on the perfect cabin luggage, then click reply and let other MoneySavers know. Please include how much it is, how much it weights and a link to the item if possible.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 01-09-2009 at 3:36 PM.
Page 2
  • rafter
    This backpack is only 3.93 from argos with the following measurements - Size (H)46cm, (W)35cm, (D)15cm

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001801&langId=-1&searchTerms=2863180&Submit=GO+%3E

They have just reduced a lot of the prices on the other backpacks and have the measurements listed.
    • Casanova
    • By Casanova 26th Aug 09, 11:17 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Casanova
    I hardly ever take a suitcase any more as I find the cabin baggage is plenty if you use it wisely. Its good to be strict, otherwise you take far more than you need.

Last year I went to Italy for a week and was struggling to fit everything in within the weight and size restrictions. So I found a sturdy cardboard box that was about the right size, and shortened it by about 7cm so it was exactly the specified cabin baggage size in all 3 dimensions. With thin cardboard walls and light weight, it has to be the most efficient use of the allowance! I used a couple of straps to keep the lid down (it was a top-hat style of box, if that makes any sense).

Granted, I felt a bit self conscious carrying around a cardboard box around the airports, but I'm damned if I'm paying Ryanair any more than I have to! It was very satisying when asked to fit it in the size checker and it was a perfect snug fit Also, it's only a cardboard box so it doesn't matter if it gets a bit battered, and you can write your name, destination and mobile number on the outside in permanent marker (or decorate it!).

Getting round the weight restriction is easy - take the densest items (for me, shoes and books usually) and put them in the pockets of your coat (wear the coat). Keep wearing more and more layers until you are within the limit. You only have to do this for the stage where they weigh it (if they bother). Then as soon as you get through to the other side, you can stop looking strange and hot, and put it all back in the case/box. Most airports have a set of scales that you can use to hone your bag to the perfect weight - I often get mine as accurate as 9.98 or 9.99 kilos.
    Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 28-08-2009 at 11:32 AM.
  • DMc
    Also remember it is only one clear plastic bag your allowed to take with your liquids under 100ml - I had three and they were not happy!
    Originally posted by jujugaboo
    I think that you are allowed a second clear bag if one is for medication that you need to carry, they have to allow you to take that through.
    Last edited by DMc; 26-08-2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: easier to read
    • SCROOGE
    • By SCROOGE 26th Aug 09, 11:54 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    SCROOGE
    Hand luggage
    Lots of supermarkets/Boots/Superdrug etc sell most toiletries in 100mls or smaller now which should be enough for a week or two away. As others have pointed out, you are limited to 1000mls in one clear, sealable plastic bag, which isn't too bad. Please bear in mind when measuring the case that the wheels MUST be included. With online check-in, hand luggage is rarely if ever weighed at the gate by Aer Lingus/Ryanair, but I have noticed recently before certain Ryanair flights staff have been eye-balling hand luggage rather too closely. Also remember that if you are transiting and have bought normal-sized toiletries airside, you will almost certainly have to discard them as you go through more security at the transit airport. (Always strikes me as a bit of a nonsense, this!)
    • gazzebo69
    • By gazzebo69 26th Aug 09, 11:54 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    gazzebo69
    I hardly ever take a suitcase any more as I find the cabin baggage is plenty if you use it wisely. Its good to be strict, otherwise you take far more than you need.

Last year I went to Italy for a week and was struggling to fit everything in within the weight and size restrictions. So I found a sturdy cardboard box that was about the right size, and shortened it by about 7cm so it was exactly the specified cabin baggage size in all 3 dimensions. With thin cardboard walls and light weight, it has to be the most efficient use of the allowance! I used a couple of straps to keep the lid down (it was a top-hat style of box, if that makes any sense).

Granted, I felt a bit self conscious carrying around a cardboard box around the airports, but I'm damned if I'm paying Ryanair any more than I have to! It was very satisying when asked to fit it in the size checker and it was a perfect snug fit Also, it's only a cardboard box so it doesn't matter if it gets a bit battered, and you can write your name, destination and mobile number on the outside in permanent marker (or decorate it!).

Getting round the weight restriction is easy - take the densest items (for me, shoes and books usually) and put them in the pockets of your coat (wear the coat). Keep wearing more and more layers until you are within the limit. You only have to do this for the stage where they weigh it (if they bother). Then as soon as you get through to the other side, you can stop looking strange and hot, and put it all back in the case/box. Most airports have a set of scales that you can use to hone your bag to the perfect weight - I often get mine as accurate as 9.98 or 9.99 kilos.
    Originally posted by Casanova

Now thats what I call moneysaving.....
  • Gambit
    Just got some cracking cabin luggage from TJ HUghes. reduced to 20 from 50 rrp. Case weighs less than 2kg and measurements are 49 x 34 x 18 cm, apparently the worlds lightest case and it definately feels it compared to my hard case
    link below, currently showing out of stock but loads available instore.

Sorry unable to add link as new poster so look on TJ HUghes wensite for suitcase and look for the 19cm case in the SUB 0 - G collection, available in blue, black or red.
    Originally posted by woodkit
    Here's the link although they seem to be out of stock at the mo!
    Current Debt Owed To Family: 12,575 9,000
    Estimated Debt Free... Dec 2012 Aug 2012

Christmas 2010 Sealed Pot Challenge #477

• Snowy2cv6
    For overhead luggage we use items similar to Item no. 260467576807 on Fleabay, the handles are long enough to carry over the shoulder too. Just keep an eye on measurements. They have worked perfectly.
    I use minature zip lock bags, for decanting liquid makeup, moisturisers etc. into and conditioner/shampoo etc. into the readily available small plastic bottles. also like a previous post, wear all the heavy stuff, we have managed cold destinations like this i.e. Christmas markets. Bon Voyage!!
    • SiuLoong
    • By SiuLoong 26th Aug 09, 12:58 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    SiuLoong
    Be careful with small cases with wheels.. I have a small case just on the limit for Easyjet and have flown hand luggage only a number of times with no problems (online check in) but recently needed to check a hold bag as well and was asked to fit my handluggage into the frame which would've been fine except for the wheels.. no leaway so I had to check it. Grumble grumble..
  • the grizz
    Take a bar of soap instead of shower gel, Seemples
  • Lisinia
    Even cheaper to use freebies in hotels
    The size of toiletries you can take on board is limited and if you're going to an apartment then you need to decant into smaller bottles. However, if you're going to a hotel there is usually a supply of shampoo, shower gel and soap - all included in the cost of the room! You need only take a small tube of toothpaste and deodorant (a solid one fits nicely into your plastic bag.) However, do bear in mind that should you wish to bring back local drink from your holiday (and it will always be much more expensive at the airport) you'll need hold luggage. Cut down on the weight by decanting into plastic water or coke bottles. Wrap them in a couple of carrier bags then shove them into socks to pad and protect. If you're intending to buy at the airport and have flown budget be aware that some of the smaller airports that these airlines use have very limited Duty Free areas and some have none at all, as we discovered when we flew into Dinan! If you buy perfume in the Duty Free area on the way out, make sure that the bottle is less than 100 mls, otherwise you won't be able to bring it back in with you!
    • powerjohn
    • By powerjohn 26th Aug 09, 1:57 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    powerjohn
    Tripp cases
    We've used these for several years now; they're strong, fairly capacious, and look decent, and also they have the great advantage that they fit bmibaby's smaller cabin baggage size restrictions. Look on your airline's website - some of them demand smaller cases than the sizes usually quoted.
  • Snowy2cv6
    For overhead luggage we use items similar to Item no. 260467576807 on Fleabay, the handles are long enough to carry over the shoulder too. Just keep an eye on measurements. They have worked perfectly.
    I use minature zip lock bags, for decanting liquid makeup, moisturisers etc. into and conditioner/shampoo etc. into the readily available small plastic bottles. also like a previous post, wear all the heavy stuff, we have managed cold destinations like this i.e. Christmas markets. Bon Voyage!!
    Originally posted by Snowy2cv6

:rolleyesha, found it, at last, Fleabay item 110350073260, this is exactly what I use, the OH has a black one.
  • Denovo99
    Take a look at bagsetc dot co dot uk and then go to Sun-O bags, which are the lightest in the world. The 19" carry-on complies with Ryanair carry-on restrictions
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 26th Aug 09, 2:25 PM
    • 3,090 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    bagand96
    Another vote for Tripp cases from Debenhams. But only when they are in the sale! Although everytime they have a sale the Tripp luggage is always reduced very well (makes me wonder if it ever actually sells anywhere near the "RRP") and cabin ones can be picked up for 20.

Debenhams sale is still on although I would imagine the stock is becoming limited now, but wait for the next sale, they'll be round again. The ones linked on this thread are very good although I have a slightly different style which has outside pockets, which I do prefer when taking hand baggage only, to keep documents etc in.
  • floozie

I bought one of these for a trip to London, for 7.99 at intersport; when I measured it ,if i could just remove the short carry handle off the short end, it would fit easyjet's dimensions perfectly!! pass the hammer!!
  • vall
    Take a bar of soap instead of shower gel, Seemples
    Originally posted by the grizz
    Also ' Lush' do things like shampoo/conditioners in solid form
  • als1805
    Have a think about whether you need a wheeled case, these are usually heavy, and as said before, the wheels "ruin" the otherwise perfect size. I have a shoulder bag in the exact dimensions that cost about 5 and have used it for trips of up to 5 days several times. Particularly valuable on a 9-change train journey where whilst everyone was struggling getting their wheeled cases up and down the steps, and often had to struggle with them on their laps in packed trains, I was able to merrily breeze past with my shoulder bag or squish it comfortably on my lap.

OK, I did have a sore shoulder when I got home!

And 100ml of shampoo, shower gel etc is far too much for a trip of a few days, I just take hotel freebies with me, hardly any weight.

Finally, the time you save not having to wait at the baggage carousel is invaluable (first in the taxi/bus queue!), as is the knowledge that your baggage can't get lost!

OK, I'll shut up now :-)
  • thetheboy
    Here's the link although they seem to be out of stock at the mo!
    Originally posted by Gambit
    THEY HAD THESE IN BOYES A WHILE BACK AND THEY LOOKED ace really sturdy and good size etc...
    It's better to travel hopefully than arrive...
  • bryananddee
    Just done 5 days in Majorca with Fly2 with only hand luggage (i think they are the smallest allowance in size, but i think the weight allowance is slightly better than some of the others ). Anyway - bought 2 Tripp cases from Debenhams on-line for 19 each. Fitted perfect in the hold - no worries at all at weigh-in etc. A breeze.
    • stu369
    • By stu369 26th Aug 09, 9:10 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    stu369
    Fitted perfect in the hold - no worries at all at weigh-in etc. A breeze.
    Originally posted by bryananddee
    This thread is about avoiding checking bags into the hold.

HTH
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

860Posts Today

7,336Users online

Martin's Twitter