Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Natasha
    Money Moral Dilemma: Would you park free if it blocked wheelchair access?
    • 11th Aug 09, 3:08 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Would you park free if it blocked wheelchair access? 11th Aug 09 at 3:08 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Would you park free if it blocked wheelchair access?

You're busy and town's even busier - all the usually available free on-street parking's gone. But after driving round for 15 minutes you spot a space, pull in, then notice a sign on the back of the car in front requesting, "please leave a six-foot gap between my car and yours so I can get the wheelchair in and out of the boot". If you stay there, there'd be a foot at most, but the alternative's an NCP at £5/hour.

Would you park free if it blocked wheelchair access?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Page 3
  • Emmsie21
    Absolutely NOT! Only the most ignorant lazy !!!! would do that.

I’d park in a “family” parking bay though even if I was on my own. Why should people that decide to bring their screaming, fat, badly-behaved kids round the supermarket get special parking bays?
    Originally posted by BigSky
    because they are bigger allowing easy access for pushchairs. Oh, and not all kids are naughty in the supermarket or indeed fat.

On the actual subject no l wouldn't park behind a car requesting space for a wheelchair.
    • VickiB
    • By VickiB 12th Aug 09, 8:56 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    VickiB
    Absolutely not. To require that extra space, the wheelchair must go directly into the back of the vehicle with the person in it. The user is unable to get out of their wheelchair so THE DRIVER IS NOT THE PERSON IN THE WHEELCHAIR IN THIS CASE. He/she stays in the chair and is pushed (probably by someone not as strong as they need to be) or (if they're lucky) in a motorised wheelchair into the back of the vehicle. My mother-in-law has one leg - how exactly could she jump out of her wheelchair, drive the car into the street & block it, then pop back etc etc? Would you not appreciate a little kindness and courtesy if you were in their position? To to the person who said they can wait 5 minutes, I trust you would be equally willing to wait 5 minutes if someone blocked in your - legally parked- car?
    • tabaira
    • By tabaira 12th Aug 09, 8:59 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    tabaira
    re Mother & Baby parking - for goodness sake - you CAN walk - how do you think people managed 20 years ago when there were no special places for Mums.
  • slimbird
    im a carer of a disabled wheelchair user and a parent and am also human,therefore yes i would park in that space,there is no abuse of any system here,and besides these stickers can be picked up by anyone with or without disability,do they really have a wheelchair? as a carer i hate nothing more than people abusing disabled places,likewise mother and baby spaces,and often challenge people who do !
    would i be a fool to pay? cause someone else will park there anyway !
  • irritable
    Absolutely unacceptable. But then again we see so many selfish, lazy motorists who park in bus stops to nip to the shop/cashpoint/fast-food outlet. Result being that the bus has to park adjacent and blocking the road. Often the Police drive past and do nothing about what amounts to illegal parking. Perhaps tazaring them and giving them a bloody good kicking would pursuade them to park somewhere more socially acceptable in the future. Anybody who can park in a bus stop is sufficiently ignorant that they will, without hesitation park behind the hypothetical car displaying the disabled badge.
  • weiran
    Nothing in the original post states that you would be parking in a disabled space - therefore I presume no offence would be committed by parking close to a car with such a sticker. It would be very easy to reverse into such a space and not see the sticker anyway.

I'm not condoning being bad mannered and blocking the car's boot but there must also be some onus on the other driver to park somewhere sensible - they can't just use the sticker to "bully" other drivers into giving them 2 spaces while they only pay for 1. Generally, there are always disabled spaces nearby, or they may be able to park in an end space so as not to put anyone else out.
    Originally posted by paullyuk
    This is the only sensible post here, as half the other keyboard warriors here can't seem to read the original post. This is about whether an apparently disabled driver can "reserve" the space behind them as it provides them easy access.

Personally, if that was the only space around I would park in it, but I would check if other spaces are free before I park there. The disabled don't have a monopoly on the road.
  • elsol
    i think a lot of people have missed the point...nowhere does it say that the free space behind the disabled car is a disabled space. Therefore, you could freely park there. however, i would suggest leaving your mobile phone number so if the disabled person infornt needed access you could go back and move it. Just on another note, it could be that the disabled drived didn't need the access on that specific day...!
  • yorkshire laura
    I agree. Most people seem to have misunderstood the dilema. The disabled person HASN'T parked in a designated disabled space, instead they have parked in a regular parking space and requested that nobody uses the free space behind them. While the request to leave a space is fine while other parking spaces are available, it's unacceptable to expect another person to pay for an NCP space so that the disabled driver can have a free (undesignated) disabled space. After all, if wheelchair access is so vital then the NCP have (for a fee) designated bays to park in.
    Originally posted by snoozum
    I agree with you, it is a regular parking space and I don't think its fair to request that an empty space is left empty in a free area. Fair enough there may not be any designated disabled parks that are free but I don't think you can expect someone to not park for free so you don't have to pay at the car park where there would be disabled spaces.
  • shed head
    I have a grandma in a wheel chair who I take out all over the place. If I am in the kia sedona and someone is parked too close I cannot open the boot. I alway park in disabled bays, or to be honest park on double yellows and use her diasabled badge. I would not expect someone else to have to decide wether to use the parking bay behind me. On a side issue with the disabled parking badge most of the car parks in our area are free for disabled users.

On the parent and child parking bays. Most car park spaces are not wide enough to be able to open the passenger door wide enough. I have door protectors on my door but I would hate to damage someones car because my kids had opened the car door to quickly or I could not get the door open wide enough to check that they are safely fastened into my car. Hence the wider parking bays for parent and child.
    • pennystretcher
    • By pennystretcher 12th Aug 09, 9:15 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 1,519 Thanks
    pennystretcher
    No, I wouldn't. And for those who would:
  • shirlls
    Reverse into the spot and pretend I hadn't seen the sign
  • StephLaceDan
    nope, i have a disabled partner and child and have some experience of needing my vehicle for them.

on the subject of parent spaces, I got verbally abused by an old man cos I asked him if he could pull back out of a parent and child space he was just parking in as I had a disabled child (under 3, so no blue badge at that time) and a baby and he told me no cos he fought in the war for me! makes me laugh to remember it now, but at the time... total dispair... I'd imagine that could be how disabled person might feel if I'd blocked them in!
  • pixiechick
    NEVER!!!!

I think it's morally wrong and extremely selfish. The same goes for those who park in disabled parking spaces, parent & child spaces and 'pick up' spaces. They are just being very lazy - does it hurt to walk a few extra yards? It's one thing that really annoys me
  • Summer76
    Nothing in the original post states that you would be parking in a disabled space - therefore I presume no offence would be committed by parking close to a car with such a sticker. It would be very easy to reverse into such a space and not see the sticker anyway.

I'm not condoning being bad mannered and blocking the car's boot but there must also be some onus on the other driver to park somewhere sensible - they can't just use the sticker to "bully" other drivers into giving them 2 spaces while they only pay for 1. Generally, there are always disabled spaces nearby, or they may be able to park in an end space so as not to put anyone else out.
    Originally posted by paullyuk
    Perhaps if abled bodied people did not park in disabled spaces in the first place then the driver would not have to park in a non-disabled space. Many times I have witnessed drivers without stickers parking in disabled spaces and many times I have pointed this out to them, but most don't care. I have then witnessed, on occasions, a disabled driver having to park in a non-disabled space only then to struggle to get out of their car as some disabled spaces are wider/longer to accommodate wheelchairs. So NO, I would definitely not park their. If it meant having to pay £5 an hour in a car park it would be better for me as it would encourge me to only stay for an hour and get what I really need and not shop, shop, shop for luxuries I don't need!!!
  • StephLaceDan
    Absolutely unacceptable. But then again we see so many selfish, lazy motorists who park in bus stops to nip to the shop/cashpoint/fast-food outlet. Result being that the bus has to park adjacent and blocking the road. Often the Police drive past and do nothing about what amounts to illegal parking. Perhaps tazaring them and giving them a bloody good kicking would pursuade them to park somewhere more socially acceptable in the future. Anybody who can park in a bus stop is sufficiently ignorant that they will, without hesitation park behind the hypothetical car displaying the disabled badge.
    Originally posted by irritable
    LMAO irritable runs for prime minister!!!!
  • pixiechick
    Whether or not it is a designated disabled space it is still morally wrong. And if someone has got hold of a sticker they are not entitled to (I don't know why they would want one), then it just goes to show the way society has gone. I'm turning into Victoria Meldrew!
  • elliestockman
    As a few others have said, if it was just a quick 5 mins running into the bank or to a newsagents, then I would park there, BUT would stick a note on their windscreen or somewhere visible explaining that I was very sorry and would only be a minute.
    • mardycow
    • By mardycow 12th Aug 09, 9:31 AM
    • 119 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    mardycow
    yes. no prob, is very rare that i have seen a genuinely obvious disabled person using the disabled space, anyway they can park anywhere so should leave the non disabled spaces alone. and by the way i am disabled.
  • ladyclaire
    If you didn't you could be sure someone else would. Parking is extornionate as it is, disabled spaces are free if you have a badge, and usually large - if the disabled driver had parked in one of those then they would have enough space?
    • jacksgrandma
    • By jacksgrandma 12th Aug 09, 9:37 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    jacksgrandma
    Absolutely not - I would never park in a disabled bay or block access for those who may need wider space for wheelchairs etc. I work with young children and have, in the past, had to transport disabled people around. It's very frustrating to find that there is nowhere to park that can adequately accommodate space for getting someone in and out of a wheel chair.

Same also goes for parent spaces - grrr v v annoying to find that people without children park in them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

461Posts Today

5,501Users online

Martin's Twitter