MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you give up a £50 train seat for a pregnant woman?

Comments

• sakara
    sakara Posts: 36 Forumite
    As someone who is a non visable disabled person, i would not give up my seat (if i ever travelled on a train, which i usually can never afford to do for long journeys). I need that seat as more than a pregnant person who chose their condition, i didnt chose mine.

When i am travelling short distances on a bus or such and i feel i can stand i offer the seat to someone who i think might need it more, but for a long journey im afraid my health comes first.
  • Neato
    Neato Posts: 413
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, I seem to find these days that there is always someone in my reserved seat anyway. If I did manage to get it, the five hour trip (usually with 2 cases - I'm a student) wouldn't be much different if I was stood up or sat down. I think the pregnant woman would appreciate the seat more.
    Overdraft: PAID:D
    OU Course Fees: PAID:D
    :money:Now to save for mortgage... :money:
  • I wouldn't.

I work hard for my money, and I can't afford to pay for someone else to sit down while I stand up. Not for 5 hours. If the seat was free, I'd be more inclined to give it up.
  • bobpitbull
    bobpitbull Posts: 38 Forumite
    I absolutely would stand, yes. To all the idiots above who say that they wouldn't - you're all soft. Real men would always give up their seat. Justifying your actions by saying that she should've booked a seat isn't right - it's not the woman that you should be thinking about but the baby inside her... it's the baby that's at risk, after all... maybe you think the baby should've booked a ticket online?!?

Sometimes I'm disgusted by how people have become so cold-hearted lately.
  • Annie50
    Annie50 Posts: 21
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No question - of course I would and I'm no spring chicken! This is a woman carrying a baby! How would you feel if it was your loved one? (might ask to share seat if possible - even a small edge!!)
  • ellawaude
    ellawaude Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2009 at 10:25PM
    Definately.

I often have to do long journeys (8 or so hours) by train, and I always give up my seat to people who would appreciate it more; pregnant women, the elderly, or people with young children. Its just plain nice.

Mind you, if you actually managed to get into your own reserved seat you are doing pretty well! I've only been able to do it a handful of times.

The seats are seldom enforcable. You will find nice people who just didnt realise, or thought you'd missed the train. Although you will also find the ones who have a 'So What?!?' attitude. Train staff will often try to help, but they want to avoid conflict and disruption.

Nowadays I will take a look to see if my seat is free, if it is not I try elsewhere, although more often than not I end up sitting cross-legged in the corridoor. At least its quiet in between stops! I am a student though, so I suppose I'm quite used to sitting in odd places reading books.

The thing that really annoys me is when I've been sat in the corridoor waiting for some seats to come free, we arrive at a big station and lots of people get off, you wait politely for the people to leave the carriage before going in yourself only to be elbowed in the stomach by a big group of people who wanted to get there first! Alas, I never did get a seat that journey.

Anyway, rant over. Yes I would give up my seat, every time.

- For people who don't travel far often...reserved seats don't cost more, in fact its quite normal for these to be cheaper as the rail companies encourage passengers to travel on certain trains to fill them up, and allocate seats to travellers. Buying at the station 30 minutes before the train leaves is more expensive and means you cannot book a seat. So don't assume that you've paid more!
  • Annie50
    Annie50 Posts: 21
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was offered a seat once and I wasn't even pregnant! Just had my handbag over my shoulder but under my coat for security! Nice thought from the very polite gentleman and my friends had a good laugh!
  • ileask
    ileask Posts: 2 Newbie
    It depends if I notice as I normally book a window seat set my iPod up and gaze out the window. But have in the past given a seat to someone stuggling.

As for someone sitting in my seat I head to 1st class and wait to be challenge at which point I explain the fact someone is in my seat and I find it unfair having to stand because I can't find a staff member. Sometimes the staff member comes to move the person but most times I have been left in the 1st class seat. :T
  • BYLSW
    BYLSW Posts: 2 Newbie
    skylight wrote: »
    Yes.

And for a old person or a visibly disabled one (cos I wouldn't know if a non-visibly disabled person got on the train!)

And I have been knocked on my feet on a bus when heavily pregnant. Not one passenger got up to help me. But I would always help someone else (and do).

So if I got on with my walking stick would you give me a seat? I am not obviously disabled as I have what is termed an invisible disability.

I agree with those who have said that the lady should have booked a seat. Or else got there early enough to find a seat that was not booked.
  • Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Hell no. I, like Sakara, have fibromyalgia, so I'm invisibly disabled. I've had glares from old people and little kids' mothers for not giving up my seat for them in the past, since I'm only 23 and look healthy, but I'd rather put up with that b.s. than stand all the way and know I'm not going to be able to do anything else once I get home - if I could make it home.

Anyone who insults me for it and says I have no humanity can sit and spin. Where's the humanity in adding to our world's problems with overpopulation, anyway?
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure